Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by Postboxer »

Also how does this affect an claim against the insurer, clearly that vehicle caused the accident. What view do the insurers take of a customer refusing to name who was driving, surely they need to know so they can ascertain whether or not they were insured.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:Also how does this affect an claim against the insurer, clearly that vehicle caused the accident. What view do the insurers take of a customer refusing to name who was driving, surely they need to know so they can ascertain whether or not they were insured.

One presumes insurance documents were in order,if so the victim can claim off the vehicle owner's insurance,for injury compensation and property damage.
That's if the vehicle was insured,and the police and judiciary haven't cocked that up too! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jochta

Post by jochta »

If this were CSI they would have sone some amazing video enhancement process to see through the windscreen and know who exactly was driving. If there was no priors (which the cyclist says) then this incident is incompetence rather than malicious IMO, probably texting or fiddling with something. It seems odd that they forgot the cyclist was there unless their otherwise engaged brain had assumed he had taken the first exit at the roundabout.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jochta wrote:...... If there was no priors (which the cyclist says) then this incident is incompetence rather than malicious IMO, probably texting or fiddling with something. It seems odd that they forgot the cyclist was there unless their otherwise engaged brain had assumed he had taken the first exit at the roundabout.

And the driving off leaving the victim in the road in agony,would that be incompetence,or malice of afterthought?
And the refusal to declare who was driving,that would be incompetence too?
And the sentence,is that incompetence?

Or they didn't know there was a rear facing camera fitted on bike they ran into and thereby thought they were anonymous.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:Some confusion with the vehicle's controls. Possibly alcohol still in the system from the night before.

And we must of course be very gentle and understanding when a mature adult drives off in a vehicle that they don't know how to control. And a little drink, well that's very understandable too. And not stopping to help when you've hit someone who lies potentially dying. On these points we must feel every sympathy with the driver.

Oh, and the hire company: could they not be held responsible for checking that the hirer knew how to control the vehicle. No. More sympathy there as well I think.

I've got no sympathy with the driver. You misunderstand my comments if you think I have. I'm just suggesting that the collision was (I think) more likely to be down to gross incompetence (including the possibility of alcohol in the system) rather than a deliberate attempt to run down the victim. And I suggest that the failure to stop may have been a panic action. At the very least it is spineless to fail to come back and face the music.
Velo

Post by Velo »

pwa wrote:
horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:Some confusion with the vehicle's controls. Possibly alcohol still in the system from the night before.

And we must of course be very gentle and understanding when a mature adult drives off in a vehicle that they don't know how to control. And a little drink, well that's very understandable too. And not stopping to help when you've hit someone who lies potentially dying. On these points we must feel every sympathy with the driver.

Oh, and the hire company: could they not be held responsible for checking that the hirer knew how to control the vehicle. No. More sympathy there as well I think.

I've got no sympathy with the driver. You misunderstand my comments if you think I have. I'm just suggesting that the collision was (I think) more likely to be down to gross incompetence (including the possibility of alcohol in the system) rather than a deliberate attempt to run down the victim. And I suggest that the failure to stop may have been a panic action. At the very least it is spineless to fail to come back and face the music.

It's spineless and unforgivable to leave another human being lying injured in the road. Even it were a panic action, the driver had plenty of time after the collision to come forward. They chose not to - that is indefensible.
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:
You misunderstand my comments

Yes I did, I'm sorry.

Had the driver lost control we could be angry at their stupidity (and all the stuff that goes with vehicles of this sort). But if they stopped and helped and owned up to their failings, we could leave the incident to those who deal with these things in the knowledge that it would be done properly.

However that didn't happen (and still isn't happening) which is why there is a lot of very justifiable anger around. I would be the first to forgive (hopefully) and the last to want someone to go to prison. But the law works to protect and deter as well as punish so any sympathy at this stage is IMV misplaced. Hence my strong reaction to your post.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:
You misunderstand my comments

Yes I did, I'm sorry.

Had the driver lost control we could be angry at their stupidity (and all the stuff that goes with vehicles of this sort). But if they stopped and helped and owned up to their failings, we could leave the incident to those who deal with these things in the knowledge that it would be done properly.

However that didn't happen (and still isn't happening) which is why there is a lot of very justifiable anger around. I would be the first to forgive (hopefully) and the last to want someone to go to prison. But the law works to protect and deter as well as punish so any sympathy at this stage is IMV misplaced. Hence my strong reaction to your post.

Thanks. We are in agreement. It has long been a problem that identifying a vehicle does not lead directly to identifying the driver. Very frustrating.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I always thought that the official owner as recorded was liable if the car had not been stolen? if he/she wont say who took it then that's conspiracy. all very strange.
jochta

Post by jochta »

reohn2 wrote:
jochta wrote:...... If there was no priors (which the cyclist says) then this incident is incompetence rather than malicious IMO, probably texting or fiddling with something. It seems odd that they forgot the cyclist was there unless their otherwise engaged brain had assumed he had taken the first exit at the roundabout.

And the driving off leaving the victim in the road in agony,would that be incompetence,or malice of afterthought?

Or they didn't know there was a rear facing camera fitted on bike they ran into and thereby thought they were anonymous.

I'm not aware of having passed judgement on any of those additional things you mentioned. It goes without question that after incompetently (IMO) running into the back of the cyclist the driver's actions are reprehensible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jochta wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I'm not aware of having passed judgement on any of those additional things you mentioned. It goes without question that after incompetently (IMO) running into the back of the cyclist the driver's actions are reprehensible.

Thank you,but without you mentioning I had assumed you thought they didn't matter.
You have my apology.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like ATLAST made it to the BBC news website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

MAYBE just maybe the powers at be will change their mind and get the b******d?

failure to provider driver details = conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in this case?

seems like the cops etc needed to show more imagination how to pin blame and squeeze justice from the culprit for the cyclist? seems like a load of dullards handled the case.

seems like our legal system not that clever - seem to remember when the US couldnt get Al Capone for all the crimes he committed they got him in the end for tax evasion?
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Feb 2016, 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:seems like ATLAST made it to the BBC news website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617

MAYBE just maybe the powers at be will change their mind and get the b******d?

failure to provider driver details = conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in this case?

seems like the cops etc needed to show more imagination how to pin blame and squeeze justice from the culprit for the cyclist? seems like a load of dullards handled the case.

If you think this case is bad,read about the case of Poppi Worthington:- http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... ngton-case
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The story was featured on BBC East Midlands news at lunchtime. The car was a hire car and the police have been unable to trace the driver. Probably hired in a company name and the company unwilling to say which of their employees was driving. The Police say that they are very disappointed with the outcome, but there's nothing further they can do. Reginald Scot was interviewed on the programme at the scene of the incident and says it hasn't put him off cycling but he too is disappointed by the outcome. The incident did happen about a year ago but he has only just made the video public.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

TrevA wrote:..... Probably hired in a company name and the company unwilling to say which of their employees was driving.

really astonished that this not simple conspiracy to pervert the course of justice? :shock: