Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Brutal hit & run - Nottingham

Post by horizon »

Does anyone know yet the name of the company the car belonged to? If it wasn't stolen they will know the name of the driver. If they say they don't but do then that is perverting the course of justice.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Vantage: intention is a state of mind (mens rea). One of the key principles of the rule of law in rational societies is that people aren’t punished simply in accordance with harm done (since luck or whatever you want to call it plays a huge role) but their degree of culpability. That’s why attempted murder is severely punished even if it results in no harm whatsoever.

In the present case, unless you can read the driver’s mind, you shouldn’t call it an attack. There are a hundred reasons why the driver might have driven into the back of the cyclist without intending to – the vast majority of which should still result in a stiff sentence (serious prison time if I had my druthers).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It's a strange incident all round. It seems impossible that the driver was unaware of the cyclist, as they had slowed behind them at the junction with the roundabout. And had it been a deliberate act, I'd have expected it to have been more sudden.

I have a nasty feeling that the driver may have been either on the phone or busy with a satnav or child in the car or something and they simply took their eyes completely off the road. But they could not possibly have failed to realise what they had done, so why not stop?

Looks to me very odd all round, and the police response makes it odder. Makes me wonder who the driver really was, what they were doing, and what pull they might have, I'm afraid. That's the times we live in.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Postboxer wrote:One of the comments on youtube is from someone from BBC News Online, so hopefully they'll report on it.

When you think of how the recent pedestrian hit and run in Brighton went viral, you have to hope so. And the national papers, of course. If this country's deeply flawed, apparently ludicrous, system of policing and justice (at least, that's how it will be perceived, whether fair or not) is shamed, then it might get a result.

There's something else going here, though, something the victim isn't telling us, supposedly so that other reprobates don't benefit from the knowledge. But that seems like a lame excuse - surely it would be better to expose the loophole so that it can be closed and prevented from being used in the future?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

syklist wrote:
beardy wrote:Owner says they were not driving it, police cant be bothered collecting difficult to find evidence that he (or whoever else) was.

IF the owner was not driving it, and refuses to give the name of the person who was driving it, then they cannot prove that the driver of the vehicle who committed the crime
a) had a licence
and
b) was insured

So the car was uninsured at the time of the attack. I don't know what they do in the UK but in Norway if you, as the owner of a vehicle let an unlicenced and/or uninsured driver use your vehicle then you will get a very large fine and maybe lose your own licence.

This is the difference between a sane country that values all it's citizens as equal and mad country rife with corruption that is run on a class system where some people are more equal than others! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Flinders wrote:But they could not possibly have failed to realise what they had done, so why not stop?

A conceivable reason is that the driver, especially if it was a woman, was afraid of being attacked by the downed cyclist (had he been less seriously injured) or lynched by a mob of onlookers.

But in my view, that’s a risk you must face if your driving was so careless as to result in an accident of this type. It is inhumane to drive away from that scene. It’s also shameful and only a shameless person could do it. Furthermore, having done it, the driver has had ample opportunity to attempt to rectify his or her behaviour but has apparently done nothing of the sort. Judging by the car, fear of losing a few grand is unlikely to be the main reason for this cowardly post-incident behaviour.

The police, for their part, have a lot to explain.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Samuel D wrote:A conceivable reason is that the driver, especially if it was a woman, was afraid of being attacked by the downed cyclist (had he been less seriously injured) or lynched by a mob of onlookers.

In which case why not stop a bit further along and phone it in? I suspect the reality is that they simply didn't want to be caught.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It does look that way, doesn’t it?

Raised by dogs.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:
Looks to me very odd all round, and the police response makes it odder. Makes me wonder who the driver really was, what they were doing, and what pull they might have, I'm afraid. That's the times we live in.

That's the corrupt society we live in,where depending on who you are,you get away with murder.
If you're aren't 'connected' and use the 'right' means of transport you're expendable,a non person,a no one,a nothing,of no considerate worth.
That's the reality of it.

Glasgow bin lorry driver?
Poppi Worthington ?
The four cyclists killed in Rhyl 2006?
Numerous others,the list is endless
The UK is a disgrace.
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

There's a lot more, quite useful, speculation here on cyclechat:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brutal ... 351/page-4

The accident is old (about two years?) thought the video is new. Maybe we'll get the truth, maybe not.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

kylecycler wrote:
There's something else going here, though, something the victim isn't telling us, supposedly so that other reprobates don't benefit from the knowledge. But that seems like a lame excuse - surely it would be better to expose the loophole so that it can be closed and prevented from being used in the future?

kylecycler: I think you're right.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:It does look that way, doesn’t it?

You live in a country where not to go to someone's assistance in a road incident carries a heavy penality in itself.

Raised by dogs.

And protected by dogs in uniform?
W H Auden
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

After trawling through a lot of the YouTube comments, I'm confused.

Some people say that the Police failed to investigate and/or press charges, some are saying the CPS failed to prosecute, and others are saying that the case reached the magistrate's court and was thrown out.

Has anyone pieced together the full story?
horizon

Post by horizon »

FatBat wrote:I'm confused.

Me too (to use the colloquial).
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

meic wrote:In the end we decided the driver must have been connected to the Police and we were never going to get anywhere with it.

I assume this was A Long Time Ago when there was no Police Complaints Commission. Although the PCC as constructed is both compromised and has inadequate powers, it does achieve something and I think today if the police were failing to investigate a suspect who was connected to the police, that would surely come out and cause a stink.