My puncture phobia

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Terrytrek

My puncture phobia

Post by Terrytrek »

After a lifetime of cycling, I've developed puncture phobia. What I mean is that every time I go out I fear I'll get another b----y flat, after a run of them. Problem is, I've been having difficulty getting tyres on and off the rim - being an old git doesn't help. So I worry - if I get a flat, will I be able to change the tube? And as we all know, a flat is nearly always in the rear wheel (more difficult to change) and when it's peeing down. This puncture phobia is spoiling my cycling and as a near-10,000-mile a year man, I don't like that. I've fitted new tyres - again - and am trying slime tubes. I'll try anything! Solid Tannus tyres anyone?
Samuel D

Re: My puncture phobia

Post by Samuel D »

If you’re willing to consider even solid tyres, fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and be done with your worries.

There are tubeless options too, but they’re expensive, messy, and fussy. Some people like them, though.

This afternoon I fixed a puncture (glass again) from a ride yesterday, and my fingertips are still aching from fitting the tyre (Michelin Pro4 Grip on Exal XR2 rim – not easy!), so I’m more sensitive than usual to your concerns. But I still think punctures aren’t the end of the world and free-rolling tyres are a wonderful thing.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont mind in summer but at this time of year they are so filthy and it is cold, wet and dark.

I have just had three in fifty miles but at least they were slow enough to let me get to shelter to fix them. It was still really filthy and I had my best new jacket on. :(
Terrytrek

Post by Terrytrek »

Samuel D wrote:If you’re willing to consider even solid tyres, fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and be done with your worries.

Sorry, Samuel, I have. Gave up on them ages ago.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I see. A tougher case than I suspected!

Perhaps then your approach should be based on mentally reconciling yourself with the odd puncture rather than attempting to completely prevent them?

Others may have better suggestions.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I have good results with Gatorskin hardshells (If they come in the size you want) Nil punctures in 7k miles on 25mm
NUKe

Post by Terrytrek »

NUKe wrote:I have good results with Gatorskin hardshells (If they come in the size you want) Nil punctures in 7k miles on 25mm

Sorry again! My latest puncture was with a Gatorskin! Rear wheel again. Grrrrr!
Terrytrek

Post by Terrytrek »

Just looked at this ad for Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Samuel...

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/unplattbar.html

Amazing. I might try them again after all.
661-Pete

Re: My p******e phobia

Post by 661-Pete »

Forget Marathon. Go for Specialized Armadillos. (As you can probably guess, I'm an 'Armadillo' man). Grip on wet or greasy roads is not as good as M+ or Gatorskin, but from my humble experience fairy-repellent properties are better.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

What puncture resistant tyres are available for 700x23 tyres?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Annoying Twit wrote:What puncture resistant tyres are available for 700x23 tyres?

Armadillos, again :) .

Marathon+ start at 700x25c I believe. There is a 700x23c version called Schwalbe Durano, but that's not so well received, even by M+ diehards.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

You would have to check that the tyre still fits, it could well be 23mm tall plus the protective layer's thickness.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted, but it really is important to get the bead of the tyre into the well of the rim. Certain tyre rim combinations have a reputation for being difficult but many tyres can be changed without levers. It may be worth experimenting to find a combination that works for you. The confidence gained by practising in front of the telly should help to remove your phobia.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Terrytrek wrote:After a lifetime of cycling, I've developed puncture phobia. What I mean is that every time I go out I fear I'll get another b----y flat, after a run of them. Problem is, I've been having difficulty getting tyres on and off the rim - being an old git doesn't help. So I worry - if I get a flat, will I be able to change the tube? And as we all know, a flat is nearly always in the rear wheel (more difficult to change) and when it's peeing down. This puncture phobia is spoiling my cycling and as a near-10,000-mile a year man, I don't like that. I've fitted new tyres - again - and am trying slime tubes. I'll try anything! Solid Tannus tyres anyone?

Do you use tyre levers? I have a set of metal ones and find I can get any tyre on or off (even a Schwalbe marathon on a 16inch Brompton wheel). Need a bit of practice and you probably can't use them on carbon rims.
gaz

Post by gaz »

So far as getting tyres on the rim is concerned have you seen 531Colin's tutorial: [youtube]-XUFVrl0UT4[/youtube]
You may wish to consider a VAR tyre lever or if you don't mind carrying something a bit more workshop a Koolstop tyre mate. Both are useful for getting stubborn tyres on.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade