How best to talk to a dangerous driver?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roubaixtuesday

How best to talk to a dangerous driver?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Overtaken by a taxi on a blind bend at the top of a short, winding descent this morning.

Result being both a car coming the other way and myself doing emergency stops.

Duly caught up with the taxi stopped at a T junction at the bottom of the hill (not deliberately chasing, this is one of those descents routinely faster on a bike than in a car).

Tapped on window, pointed out he'd put me in danger. The taxi driver justified his manoeuvre by saying he went far to the right to protect me(!); I pointed out he had a brake pedal…

He then acknowledged he was in the wrong, perhaps influenced by wanting to remove my presence from the customer sat in the passenger seat.

Pleased I didn’t just let it go, and also pleased I didn’t let the adrenaline get the better of me and have a real go at him.

What would you have done?
Si

Re: How best to talk to a dangerous driver?

Post by Si »

Your approach sounds entirely reasonable and I applaud your self control.
jamesbradbury

Post by jamesbradbury »

I agree, well done. I think that's about the best outcome you can expect.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I try to approach with a spiel like this:

"Crikey, that was scary, I thought I was going to get hurt. Please give me a bit more room another time. etc."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
hondated

Post by hondated »

Great way to deal with it in my opinion.
beardy

Post by beardy »

One down*, thirty million to go!

*though it may just be his strategy in life, dont bother arguing, say what is wanted and carry on as before.
Certainly better than my approach in such circumstances. :oops:
robing

Post by robing »

I wonder how he would have responded without someone in the passenger seat?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This sets me wondering about the collision I witnessed, but was not directly involved in, several years ago. A car overtook me, giving plenty of room. Unfortunately it collided with a car coming the other way. Both cars were write-offs, though fortunately there were no injuries.

A single police officer turned up, but he was more concerned with organising recovery and getting the road cleared, than with listening to allegations from me or anyone else. Anyway, I told him that I considered the overtaking driver to have been "driving without due care and attention" (n.b. not "dangerous driving") but I heard no more of it from the Police. The other driver, of course, was completely blameless, I was later contacted by his insurers, I replied as accurately as I could - but once again I don't know any outcome.

I stayed a while talking to the non-offending driver (he seemed to be in need of a friendly word or two). But all I can recall saying to the offending driver (a woman aged about 20) was "I'm going to report you when the police arrive". Which indeed I did. She seemed unconcerned.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 1 Feb 2016, 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Well done!

I had a similar conversation with a police driver some years ago, with the same result.

On the other hand I have tried to have similar conversations with others at various times, with quite different results.

Too much depends on the attitude of the driver, unhappily.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Na you Should have punched his lights out whilst using every expletive you Know, its the only way they learn.Only Kidding, sounds like a positive out
come.

Murphy195 is exactly right though it depends upon the temperament of the other party.
NUKe

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete,

This sets me wondering about the collision I witnessed, but was not directly involved in, several years ago.

Strangely enough, the exact same thing happened to me as did to you, maybe 10 years ago, on the same hill as this morning’s incident, but in the opposite direction.

I still recall the driver at error (overtaking on a blind bend in pouring rain…) saying how she was rushing as she was late to pick up her child from kindergarten. “Not as late as you are now” was my thought at the time.

The poor guy coming down the hill had his car written off. I provided a statement for his insurance.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It depends on my mood at the time.
One chap overtook within inches was given a blast of the airzound as he passed. I caught him at the lights and looked at him through the passenger side window. On rolling it down I said "Bit more room next time please".
I got a "Yep, sorry mate" reply and I thanked him and we made our way off.

Another time, similar situation and I think if I'd shouted any louder and given him any more a roasting I'd have been breathing fire.

The calm method ime is more productive and let's me enjoy the ride sooner rather than spending the next half hour trying to calm down.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Did the taxi also do an emergency stop? Or just swerve in before the oncoming car?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Swerved in
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

A few years back cycling down a main road and a car pulled out of a side road, I hit it on the front wing, went over the bonnet and landed on the other side. Miraculously, I was completely ok but the red mist came up and a tirade of expletives folllowed (from me). The driver burst into tears as did the three child passengers; I ended up apologising. The bike; front wheel a right off but driver paid for new one. Accidents will happen.