Commuting - best pannier?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Commuting - best pannier?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Looking at panniers for commuting only. I've got Ortlieb classic rollers for anything else. I just need something a bit better for commuting.

We're talking absolute bombproof quality, waterproof and enough room for laptop, power cables, work clothes/shoes, some limited work, lunch/snacks and space for extra clothes or waterproofs if not worn.

At the moment I get this into my classic back rollers but really struggle with the laptop not least because it's not a good fit. My partner also wants one but she has a little more to carry. I think the rollers have enough volume but the shape is not good for carrying it all with a laptop.

We both like Ortlieb panniers and both have rear racks. Mine has the lower rails which I prefer to use. Only other issue I have with Ortlieb panniers is when stuffed they can look a bit too rounded. This bends the rail holding the hooks which has caused me to lose more than one of the screws holding it on. Loctite should stop or reduce this happening but a better shape might prevent it barreling when stuffed.

Any recommendations?
syklist

Re: Commuting - best pannier?

Post by syklist »

Mrs Syklist used this type of Ortlieb for a few years both on her bike and as a shoulder bag. The one she has is definitely waterproof with a roll top like the Classics. It was OK for transporting a laptop and some books but you would probably have to take a second pannier for clothes and shoes and waterproofs.

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkt-details/?produkt=officebag_bnw&list=office-bags&slug=radtasche&clearname=Office%20Bags
So long and thanks for all the fish...
syklist

Post by syklist »

Tangled Metal wrote:We both like Ortlieb panniers and both have rear racks. Mine has the lower rails which I prefer to use. Only other issue I have with Ortlieb panniers is when stuffed they can look a bit too rounded. This bends the rail holding the hooks which has caused me to lose more than one of the screws holding it on. Loctite should stop or reduce this happening but a better shape might prevent it barreling when stuffed.

Any recommendations?

Stuff them differently? On tour one of my rear panniers is the wet bag with cooking supplies, food, locks, tools and rain gear. I pack the cooking stuff and food at the bottom in such a way that the pannier does not bulge so much sideways. The other items just sit at the top in the space that is left. I also have moved the hooks on all my panniers as far apart as they can go whilst still fitting on the racks they are used on. I haven't had a hook or rail screw come loose but I check them all at the start of the season together with the bolts that hold my racks onto my bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The hooks are as far as I can get them. I check the bolts monthly by checking how tight they are plus daily visual checks when packing or loading onto the bike. I have to do that now because I don't trust them to stay put. Back b then I used to just check monthly or when ok remembered or if ok spotted them looking a bit loose

As far as packing goes I'd tend to agree if you pack a bag well you can get the best shape for it. However with my pannier and it's contents I just can't load it any better whilst still making what I might need on the commute available for easily. Things like waterproofs, repair kit, etc need to be at the top. The taper doesn't help with these panniers. The laptop fits in then the rest has to fit around. I get loads of gaps in the pannier and all in all it is not a good load.

I've had years of received of cramming kit into bags and other things through other activities from backpacking (ul style as well), whitewater kayaking (dry bags packed into the back and even the front of the boat- balancing the weight is very important here), etc. I do know a few tricks for a good pack. If I can't get it working well I'm sure I'm not the only one finding this.

I'm wondering if a proper commuting pannier with another bag might suit. Current thinking that Ortlieb briefcase and a large rack bag might be a better but I'd prefer one pannier bag for everything hence my enquiry. I'm sure there's something. I get it all into a 20 litres rucksack but the shape is different/better. I'm convinced a better shaped pannier with the same volume would work.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm wondering if a proper commuting pannier with another bag might suit. Current thinking that Ortlieb briefcase and a large rack bag might be a better but I'd prefer one pannier bag for everything hence my enquiry. I'm sure there's something. I get it all into a 20 litres rucksack but the shape is different/better. I'm convinced a better shaped pannier with the same volume would work.

The big Carradry rear pannier with built in rucksack straps might help, it is a fair bit taller than a standard Ortlieb. Lunch in a plastic box, shoes and clothes at the bottom in the tapered part then laptop and other goodies higher up. Roll top, OK quality, hooks harder to use than an Ortlieb.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I use the Carradice A4 Pannier, but then I don't have to carry a laptop... Bombproof? Tick. Waterproof? Tick. Cool and stylish and shiny? Er - no. :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have an additional power cable to leave at home (your IT dept may well provide you with one if you ask!)

That's the only real help I can give - they're horrible things to carry around...

I then carry the laptop back and forth, along with sundries. I am now using a home made pannier, since my cheapish Halfords one bit the bullet. It carried the laptop at an angle, and the bottom corner eventually punctured the bag.

I now have a bag from a trade show, which is designed to be carried "portrait" using a shoulder strap, and put some backing card into the rear lining and added the hooks and clips from the deceased bag.

It's done me many years now - it's not completely watertight, but it's never got particularly wet inside. I think I have popped a supermarket bag over it on one or two occasions...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I try not to carry my laptop around with me, if I can help it. I do manage to often leave it at work, in which case, what I carry most days fits in a rack bag. If I need to carry a laptop, I do one of two things....

If it's unexpected & I only have my rack bag, that has zip-out bags. The laptop is a bit too big for those, so I wrap it up in plastic carrier bags, and put it in, with one end sticking out.

If I know in advance, I use a normal pannier bag. I dont have any specific recommendations about this. I do have several different pannier bags, and all are a bit the wrong shape for a laptop.

The best from an organisation point of view are my Karrimore bags. They have a separate zip pocket on the outside that handily fits an inner tube, mini pump and tools. they are also slightly more rectangular at the bottom, so the laptop fits a bit better. Those panniers, though are ancient and the liners are full of holes, so I pack everything in carrier bags when I use them. Also, the mounting system isn't as robust as the Ortleib one (although mine has lasted well enough).

I also have some bags (that I actually bought for shopping) that have a zip-off rucksack that is exactly the right size for a laptop. I quite like the bags, but the mounting system is poor. It works okay to & from the shops with plenty of evenly distributed weight in the bags. It is insufficient for regular commuting. I keep thinking I will have a go at getting some clips from a better system and put them on my shopping bags.

Ortleibs are the only bags I trust to stay comepletely dry, though I have to admit that I haven't tried Altura or Carrdice ones.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seen some agu panniers somewhere that look as waterproof as Ortlieb panniers. Are they a good make?

My partner can't leave her laptop as her hours and places of work are so variable, she needs her laptop with her. A second laptop with a hard drive would be her ideal but we can't get these luxuries through work. I don't have my own laptop so it's my work one only if I need to work at home.

I'm surprised some company that hasn't sorted a good commuter design that carries laptop and clothes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I do think that some of the bags designed for commuters are quite good. The Ortlieb commuter bag, has some organising pockets that you could potentially use for tools and things, as well as being sized for a laptop, I think it is around 20 or 21 L. And the Ortlieb office bag is a similar size.

Vaude also make some laptop sized panniers. I think they are around the same size.

If you need something bigger, Vaude panniers are symmetric front to back (they can be fitted on either side), and therefore more rectangular shaped. Maybe one of those would do?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm surprised some company that hasn't sorted a good commuter design that carries laptop and clothes.

The best I've seen that isn't already mentioned is probably the Union34 Sleek pannier laptop case which is 25 litres and for laptops up to 15.6" screen. I think full price is £50 but I've seen it discounted to £10 once.

I like the Basil Sports but It might not be as good for putting a large laptop into and I think it might be discontinued now anyway. Might be worth a look to see when Basil's next range is coming out and what it contains.

Despite all the above, I'm still waiting for my old Targus laptop bag to fail before I buy something fancy like that. When commuting with a laptop, I put two shoulder straps on it and wear it as a large, low rucksack. Clothes go in a regular pannier, rack bag or saddlebag.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The only option I have is my running/backpacking sack. It's about 600g and straps limpet-like to my back when cycling. It's 32 litres capacity and long length so the exact width of my laptop when in a neoprene sleeve. It'll take the rest of my clothes/kit easily without filling it up so I can cinch the load in tight and evenly up the sack or have it slumped lower down if that's better.

I prefer an off the back option though so prefer to avoid rucksacks. I've never used a courier bag but have used a shoulder strap laptop case and don't like anything over the shoulder across the body style.

For me I'll possibly go back to a rucksack if I cannot find a pannier that suits my needs.

I think Halfords sell basil panniers online. I think someone wanted one.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I have a Carradice Bike Bureau which I like a lot. 26 litre capacity and big enough for a large laptop.
honesty

Post by honesty »

LollyKat wrote:I have a Carradice Bike Bureau which I like a lot. 26 litre capacity and big enough for a large laptop.

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Lovely classic looking piece of kit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think Halfords sell basil panniers online. I think someone wanted one.

They do but http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ac ... e-bike-bag is 50-100% dearer than other shops and it's only listed as "sold and sent" which in my experience means "we'll take your money and then try to order it and discover we can't and be slow to refund". YMMV.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.