2016 ride plans

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GrumpyDidcot

Re: 2016 ride plans

Post by GrumpyDidcot »

Enter an event - just a one dayer
Has to be local.

Get within 10% of last years commute total - had a heart scare a month ago so I drove for two weeks while the tests were going on. :(
It's put me behind checking against last year. I'm still waiting for a 24 hour Blood pressure monitor to be available. :evil:
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'm jealous. I'm just hoping that this year I'll be able to get out on the tandem again, with my wife. If it happens it will do us both good. Last years plans were scuppered by a heart scare...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Easy Rider

Post by Easy Rider »

1st touring weekend of the year planned for 2nd of April, then North Coast 500 in July and hopefully weather permitting some sort of touring/bikepacking weekend jaunt every other weekend :D
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cycle and car camping trip to Rhyaeder (as recommended here) planned for May/June half term with 4 kids.

Then cycle touring in the Netherlands for 2 weeks in the summer with 1 or 2 kids.

More concerned about getting some rides outside of big trips but junior seems ok to go up hills now ( used to tantrum every time- got very wearing) so hopefully some decent local trail etc rides too. Then I need to do some training rides other than on the bike at the gym and I have a local 10 mile circuit that needs to happen regularly ( otherwise the hills round here just scare unfit me off).

One day I'm going to get back into audax but that will be another couple of years I think when I'm more liberated from the kids.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm wondering about LE to Lowestoft and Back.
Furthest west and furthest east in England.

Home
LE
Home
Bridgwater
Swindon(?)
Bedford (Daughter2)
Somewhere in East Anglia
Lowestoft
Somewhere else in East Anglia
Bedford
Cheltenham/Cirencester(?)
Bridgwater
Home.
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Apart from daily commute my plans are relatively small.

Ride back from Cardiff. Having ridden there a few years ago.
    Will be doing this 31/3
Ride back from Reading along K&A
    Only thing stopping this really is the stupidly high train fares and newly introduced train limits for bikes.
Great Weston Ride
    Have done this twice already but this year will be riding back to Brizzle from WSM.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote:I'm wondering about LE to Lowestoft and Back.
Furthest west and furthest east in ENGLAND.

Surely that's somewhere around Hartland point :)
Mick F wrote:Home
LE
Home
Bridgwater
Swindon(?)
Bedford (Daughter2)
Somewhere in East Anglia
Lowestoft
Somewhere else in East Anglia
Bedford
Cheltenham/Cirencester(?)
Bridgwater
Home.

outbound looks very similar to my route in the opposite direction. All the route planners seem to send me along the kennet & avon towpath for a while which I'll try to avoid when I actually plan the route out properly.

Mrs T spent some time doing lichen surveys around Ardnamurchan point and ever since then we've discussed Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan point (followed maybe by Dunnet head to the Lizard?). Maybe one day I'll actually organise enough time off to do it
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Yes, Cornwall isn't in England of course!

I've been to Ardnamuchan. I should say "we" because we went camping there as a family in the mid 1980s. Lovely wonderful and peaceful place.

Not sure if I want to ride up to Scotland again, but I've never ridden a bike east of Brighton .......... on the British mainland, that is.
Furthest east I've ridden was in Sydney Oz 1988
Furthest west, Niagara Falls Canada 1986
Mick F. Cornwall
robing

Post by robing »

Starting in May I am doing Spain/France/Andorra for a month. Then if the weather isn't too bad I'm going to cycle and camp up the west coast of Scotland - Mull, then Barra/Uists/Skye/Ardnamurchan. Then September I am going to do a French end to end starting in Hendaye - Calais and then cycling home. Oh and if I get time, I might try and fit a 10 day LEJOG in there somewhere! :D