2016 ride plans

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

2016 ride plans

Post by honesty »

So what are peoples plans for this year? Anything interesting?

I'm booked to do a 2 day cycle camping trip with my 5 year old and a hired tandem, and 1 week doing the LLC in July. May try and squeeze a 2 day ride around the north coast of Devon in in September as well.
TrevA

Re: 2016 ride plans

Post by TrevA »

Going to the Puddiung Club at Mickleton in the Cotswolds next week. We are staying the weekend and taking our bikes, hoping to get some riding in, so we can work up an appetite! I'm aiming to do a circuit of Breedon Hill and a loop of the northern Cotwolds.

In May, we've rented a cottage near Penzance and will again be taking bikes and exploring the area - Lands End and Lizard Peninsulas.

Tentative plans to do a cycle-camping tour in July, but nothing firmed up yet. Possibly, Norfolk or mid-Wales.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

TrevA wrote:In May, we've rented a cottage near Penzance and will again be taking bikes and exploring the area - Lands End and Lizard Peninsulas.

If you have not already found it you have to go the café in Sithney (nr Helston) for tea and cake.
http://www.falmouthwheelers.co.uk/index ... &page_id=7

Best route from Penzance way is: After Marazion go to through Goldsithney then right up Trescowe Rd. Head towards Townsend and then a the bottom of the hill right to Goldolphin Cross then out past Carleen to Sithney.

For me in June two weeks cycle tour Vienna to Venice camping. In September a week in Majorca. Some time in August a weeks B and B tour somewhere in the UK, yet to decide where.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Going to Holland for the first week in May and for the first time (now that we have a van instead of a car) we are taking our touring bikes to enjoy day rides from our caravan. I have convinced my wife to try some Audax rides with me too and we are planning a 3 week trip to the west coast of Scotland with bikes. An island hopping trip of day rides. I am planning to increase my commuting mileage too and we are also planning a short tour away on bikes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

will do some (more) stealth cycle-camping now I have sorted out basic comforts
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My brother's always planning on doing the Way of the Roses, Morecambe to Bridlington, in a day, not sure I'll be joining him though.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Postboxer wrote:My brother's always planning on doing the Way of the Roses, Morecambe to Bridlington, in a day, not sure I'll be joining him though.

You could ride part way with him, to Ripon, say, then do a B and B and join him in Brid 24 hours later having taken 2 days instead of one. The last bit is mainly flat.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've wanted to do the way of the Roses since hearing about it. Just too awkward to get to the start and finish from Somerset without someone driving to either end...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm from near Bridlington originally but now in Manchester, his problem is it doesn't seem to be a very direct route, so at the end of the day you'd be tempted to take short cuts, which would kind of be cheating. I don't think I'm currently quick enough to keep pace with him, he's a farmer so busy over summer which means he would want to do it at the beginning of summer, whereas I'd want to do it at the end, more time to prepare. He doesn't really want to plan it though, just wait for the right weather, drive across and do it and worry about how to get his car back later.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I've just sent my entry off for a little ride from Beilstein (in Germany) to Prague in September. This is the 16th edition of 'L'Européenne', organised by a group of enthusiast volunteers in the French ’Euraudax’ style, led by a ‘capitaine de route’ and run off at c. 22.5 kmh moving average. I've been with them on previous occasions, and found it a very convivial, and less hard-core, alternative to the more usual multi-day Audax randonneur events I used to subject myself to when I was a bit younger; proper sit-down meals, glass of wine, soft bed at night, baggage van etc.** It does involve about 100 miles a day for five days, though, so I'll need to be in reasonable physical nick.

Preparation starts with a much more modest and conventional AUK ride of 100kms starting from Birdwell, just south of Barnsley, on March 6 - anyone else coming?

** info here - they're always looking for English riders - http://www.europn-ffct.org/edition-2016/project-2016/ - pick-up and drop-off is in Paris
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
pwa

Post by pwa »

Postboxer wrote:I'm from near Bridlington originally but now in Manchester, his problem is it doesn't seem to be a very direct route, so at the end of the day you'd be tempted to take short cuts, which would kind of be cheating. I don't think I'm currently quick enough to keep pace with him, he's a farmer so busy over summer which means he would want to do it at the beginning of summer, whereas I'd want to do it at the end, more time to prepare. He doesn't really want to plan it though, just wait for the right weather, drive across and do it and worry about how to get his car back later.

When I did it over a few easy days with the wife and kids (a mini tour for a bit of adventure) we left the car at the campsite near the start (with permission) and at the end my wife and son got on the train at Bridlington and went back to the start via Leeds to retrieve the car. They then drove to Brid. It took them all day but they kind of enjoyed the trip so it was okay. My daughter and I spent the day in Brid, visiting the model village, etc.

An alternative for any coast to coast route is to cycle back to the start by a different route.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Lochs and Glens North for me, my son in law and my pal all set up for early May. Hope to do Coast and Castles south later in the year
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Hoping to do the second part of my trip down the Rhine, at Whitsun half-term. Ferry Harwich-Hook of Holland, train to Nijmegen, then down the riverside route to Duisburg, maybe Cologne, then back via Aachen and Maastricht to Hook. Using my old Brommie and staying at Youth Hostels. One is at Duisberg-Nord Landscape Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landschaf ... sburg-Nord which I've wanted to re-visit for years.
Haven't decided what to do yet for my August holiday!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
lostonthetrails

Post by lostonthetrails »

This year is good one, I am doing a 5 day ride down the north coast of Cornwall, September is Lon Las Cymru out and back plus as much bike packing over nighters as I can fit in.
Home is where the bivvy is.

Genesis Croix De Fer 20 / Genesis Caribou
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

At some point I'll be cycling down to Cornwall from Cambridge, haven't got any further than deciding to do it so haven't worked out if it's possible to go campsite-campsite or if I should just get down there asap and spend some time cycling around when I get there.
Mrs T read the bit in Cycle about the NorthCoast 500 so I might not be able to escape that one