Muck on Tracks

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
oldmanonabike

Muck on Tracks

Post by oldmanonabike »

Is it just me or does anybody else get sick of the piles of Horse muck left all over the shared Pedestrian Horse and Cycle paths.
At times it's impossible to avoid, at least most Dog owners are being encouraged to clean up after their Dogs or at least make them use the grass verges.
What gives Horse Riders the right to leave their animals huge droppings where they land making them often impossible to walk or cycle around?
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
[XAP]Bob

Re: Muck on Tracks

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Partly that it's not always obvious when said actions are taken, but also they are far less unpleasant in general.

http://bunbag.com/

The solution isn't hard...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Partly long-standing custom and practice, partly that it was historically rarely a problem due to gardeners soon scooping it up as manure, partly that due to horses running on hay their 'exhaust' is much less offensive or unhygienic than that of dogs.

According to my 85 year old mother, when she was a child in the Black Country horse droppings in urban streets were so prized by keen gardeners that most were scooped up almost immediately.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

when she was a child in the Black Country horse droppings in urban streets were so prized by keen gardeners that most were scooped up almost immediately

Also in suburban Surrey - many a time I cleaned up behind the baker and milkman's horses.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Grandad wrote:
when she was a child in the Black Country horse droppings in urban streets were so prized by keen gardeners that most were scooped up almost immediately

Also in suburban Surrey - many a time I cleaned up behind the baker and milkman's horses.

I wish somebody - like, the local council - would clean up after the farmer who cuts the hawthorn hedge most of the way up the side of the new cycle track between the village where I live and the local town. :twisted: To make matters worse he did it in dribs and drabs, one field at a time, over the last three months or so. And if you ride on the road, a busy 60 mph single carriageway, to avoid the carpet of thorns, you get the horns sounded at you.

Can't blame the farmer, it's not his fault, but you would think he and the council would talk to each other. :roll:

Small consolation: picked up a dead hare on the cycle track on Saturday evening - poor thing, but roadkill doesn't last long around here either... :wink: