Marylebone-Oxford Bike on Train

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bovlomov

Marylebone-Oxford Bike on Train

Post by bovlomov »

(Bike-on-train threads seem to be distributed between 'Does anyone know...' and 'On the Road'. Move this if necessary.)

I'm thinking of taking a bike on the newish Chiltern line between Marylebone and Oxford Parkway. According to Chiltern's webpage, bikes may be taken subject to space, and there is no booking system for them. My questions: Has anyone used this line recently? How much space is there for bikes? What's the chances that I'll get my bike on the train to Oxford (late morning) but not on the return journey in the evening (5pm...ish)?

I can't leave the bike at Marylebone, as the spaces are reserved for season ticket holders. I suppose there'll be spaces nearby though.

Thanks.
on6702

Re: Marylebone-Oxford Bike on Train

Post by on6702 »

Hi there

I use the same line 3-4 days a week commuting into London between Haddenham and Marylebone. I initially took a folding bike on the train which is allowed at anytime on any train and many others do this. However now that I'm a season ticket holder I use two bikes each parked at either end of the train journey and make use of the cycle parking facilities at Marylebone.

It's as you would expect pretty busy during peak commuting hours especially more so at present since some carriages and locos are out of service for repairs so some trains are shorter than usual.

In your case, you're going in the opposite direction to me and I would expect it to be quieter. However you need to be aware that proper non-folding bikes are forbidden on some trains during commuting hours.

More info here

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/trave ... our-bike-0
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Thanks for that!

On the timetable, none of the Oxford Parkway > Marylebone trains has the dreaded FORBIDDEN (No bikes!) symbol. I mean for the way I'd be going: out of London in the late morning and back in the evening. It's that 'subject to space' that I'm afraid of. And if, as you say, some of the trains are shorter than usual, I may end up stuck in Oxford for a while.

As the timetable shows no 'S' (meaning bicycle storage), I'm supposing the bikes are just squeezed in among the passengers. Is that so? Hmmm... I can see that might be awkward with a large tourer.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I think bikes go in the openish area by the disabled toilet in the centre coach, and there's room for two or three. I've not been on a Marylebone-Oxford train yet but that's certainly the standard layout for Class 170 trains (which are basically what Chiltern use on that route, slightly adapted).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

As you're going in the right direction as it were I think you'll be fine.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

The thing to beware of is it stops at Bicester Village Outlet Mall so the trains can be full of shoppers and tourists with shopping especially mid morning outbound from London and late afternoon/early evening inbound.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...but you'll be on first coming back so as long as you store the bike on the the rhs you'll be good :D
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I was edging towards giving it a go, and then Tony came along with his story of shoppers and tourists. Now I'm imagining nothing but Primark bags snagging on my pedals, and the resultant dirty looks. Horror!

The thing is, my usual method would be to cycle for another 5 minutes, on to Paddington, where I know there'll be somewhere to lock up the bike, and in an hour I'll be in Oxford - 10 minutes walk from where I want to be. Going via Marylebone requires me to take the bike on the train, for two reasons: there's no cycle parking at Marylebone, and the train leaves me at the edge of Oxford - far from where I need to be. Yes, there's the bus, but that's an extra 20+ minutes.

It would be nice to try out an alternative route to my usual one, but perhaps I'll leave it for a day when I can afford to be late.

Thanks to all, for the encouragement and the discouragement.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've seen literally, oh, a couple of dozen people getting off these services at Bicester North previous to Bicester Village (as renamed, and opened by the PM to local indignation on both counts) station's reopening, so I still suspect you'll be fine.

PS
No Primark at Bicester Village, how very dare you :wink:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Bonefishblues wrote:PS
No Primark at Bicester Village, how very dare you :wink:

I meant Louis Vuitton bags, of course.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If I recall correctly the Clubman trains (earlier than the Turbostar 170s) can take a few bikes by the disabled toilet and two by each pair of unused doors if the train operator is OK to allow it, so up to 20 on a 4 car set. I can't remember if any stations on that line are island platforms requiring you to move the bikes side to side.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:If I recall correctly the Clubman trains (earlier than the Turbostar 170s) can take a few bikes by the disabled toilet and two by each pair of unused doors if the train operator is OK to allow it, so up to 20 on a 4 car set. I can't remember if any stations on that line are island platforms requiring you to move the bikes side to side.

No there aren't any, all stops (other than Marylebone, depending on allocated platform) are LH door opening hence my earlier advice.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Whilst in theory only season ticket holders who have registered their bikes can use the on-platform cycle parking at Marylebone, in practice you will get away with it if you don't leave your bike longer than a few days there. The worst that will happen within a few days is that they stick a "please register your bike" notice on the bike. Removal does occur eventually, but generally takes a long time. There is also public bicycle parking outside the station.

I've never failed to get a bike on a train at Marylebone when I have wanted to and it is permitted. Once in a while you do get some very heavily loaded trains outside the peak hour, usually due to disruption, where it would be antisocial/difficult to try and travel with a bike, but that is rare/unusual. If its turbo stock, then its wise to get to the train as soon as it is announced to bag the fold up seat space, passengers who have grabbed this hate giving it up. Bike travel restrictions are directional, ie, into Marylebone in the morning peak, and out of Marylebone in the evening peak. There are also peak restrictions at Birmingham, but you aren't going there, though maybe it will happen at proper Oxford when the service starts to proper Oxford in a few months time.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

on6702, who uses the service regularly, says that some of the rolling stock is being repaired at the moment, so trains are shorter than usual. As I have another reasonably easy way to get to Oxford, I think I'll keep with that. When things settle down, and when time isn't an issue, I'll have a go via Marylebone.

Thanks again to all.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:If I recall correctly the Clubman trains (earlier than the Turbostar 170s)

I think the trains used on the Oxford Parkway service are actually Turbostars that Chiltern nabbed from Transpennine and have been slightly retrofitted into Clubmans. But don't quote me on that!
Last edited by Richard Fairhurst on 26 Jan 2016, 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides