oldies riding in the cold

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: oldies riding in the cold

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Most uncomfortable ride today, wish I had abandoned and went home.
I normally look at forecast then the temp when I get up at 06.30, about 3 C.
Started to rain on the off and after an hour my hands were wet and cold, I normally go with minimum gear as I normally even on 5c and below sweat.
Had to stop , I was wearing full finger gloves that would be ok but its raining at 3-4C :?
Hands were numb and I struggled to change my gloves, then the pain was about the time I wanted to go home.
Carried on and decided to miss the silly hills on the slopes leading to Dartmoor (ice has kept me off them this year) but on the way back home my hands were going numb again , not wet but could barely feel them, more hand numb than cold.
One of my shoes was filling with water and I could not feel my right foot despite trying to drop and dip my foot, my cheap top was leaking and even my legs which are always warm started to complain with the rain.

When your hands hurt and your feet are numb you don't feel like going fast which is what I needed to warm up.
On the last ten or so miles I stood up a lot to get my feet working, effect was minor.
After half an hour at home I showered and only then did my right toes come back to life :(
Only 30 miles but was in hell, I need some new overshoes and a decent waterproof top.
Temp now 4C.

you must be mad :?: