oldies riding in the cold

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
blackbike

Re: oldies riding in the cold

Post by blackbike »

I'm a lot nearer 60 than 50 and my winter rides are now only about 20 to 30 miles and between one and two hours in duration.

Longer rides in the cold no longer appeal even on a lovely sunny day.

For commuting or general riding about town doing the shopping etc I'm never bothered about the cold at all.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I'm 60 in a few days, and just back on the forum - and on the bike - after a long layoff due to illness and pressures of life. I've got myself a decent bike again - Thorn - and am beginning a bit of local pottering. Rode just over 7 miles yesterday around local lanes and on the bypass - a former 'A' road, now reclassified as a 'B' but still a local racetrack. Kept pretty warm and managed the hills without dismounting! Going out again for short pootle after lunch. Hope the ice has melted in the lanes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:I went out today for a short ride down to Sevenoaks - very short as I was exhausted by the hills. Any other oldies here find riding in the cold exhausting?

I've notices a similar thing. Rides I should be able to do easily have been "hard work". But most of the time I don't feel cold. One or two rides with a headwind my face has stung a bit in the cold, but rest of body (incl. exposed legs) feel fine.

I'm glad if it is the cold as I was concerned that I'd lost a bit of strength at some point.

Ian
(nearly 60)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wasnt cold when I did my miserable short ride just as if breathing was doing no good, little effect. I had to take a rest at the rail way station and take a train back, glad I had my ex army softies at it was COLD sitting down after a time - One strange thing at Sevenoaks rail station - seem to be a guy with new looking green plastic carriers, good clothes who had taken up home there in the vestibule. He kept vanishing for 5-10 mins at a time some where, with a drink ( some time of booze ) in his hand. came back rummaged thru his gear dabbed himself with deoderant etc and carried on, sat down then later repeat this cycle.He didnt seem to be a typical down and out who u some some see in London. I did peer into one of the bags when he was off and there did seem to be a sleeping bag in its stuff bag in one. I did mention the left carrier bags to the ticket guy at the barriers incase a bomb and he seemed to know of the green bags. all very strange.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I work outside as a gardener. I'm in my early forties so a virtual youth. The last few freezing days are probably harder on me physically, but the psychological benefit of some glorious sun and haw frost far out weighs the chill factor [emoji854][SNOWFLAKE]️
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

Had a short - 5 miles or so - ride through the local lanes. A couple of very steep hills. I rode one with a couple of breaks and had to walk the last few yards of the other. Loads of walkers out. It was freezing cold, but no obvious ice on the roads. I was warm enough with my thermals, Altura jersey, ordinary gilet cap and gloves. Buff helped a lot too. Cold on the face coming down hills and I really needed something better than my normal specs. My old cycling glasses with a prescription insert are a very old prescription and I can't see well enough with them. I've definitely pulled a few muscles! Absolutely gorgeous refreshing ride - glad I made myself go out!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am 57 and never feared the cold, once last year maybe twice in 3/4 longs.
Twice this year already, and this morn the temp dropped to minus 0.5C at 3 am and at 8am it was 2-3 C.
But on the first hill I had wheel spin and for the rest of the inland ride towards Dartmoor it was cold (frost and ice), I did not unzip my windtop (100 grams) fingered gloves :? (fingerless all last year) shoe covers and long sleeve summer jersey.
Toes did not thaw out fingers were cold too (very thin gloves) knees are always warm and when I got home my neck was sweating.
BUT although I wear shorts all year round (non cycling) in the last two years I have noticed sitting at home at less than 17C I have to wear trousers, working I am always warm, but sitting still I will go cold, and I never complain its too cold, must be age for sure.

Because of the ice and not feeling my toes well it was a very slow ride, I am going to blame the cold, average heart rate over 30 miles was only 143 (77%) and should be nearer 150 (80%).
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

squeaker wrote: ChrisButch wrote:
One of the factors here, I think, is the air pressure. Freezing winter weather usually means high pressure, which is always harder work, and the slightest wind is much harder to deal with than low-pressure wind.

That plus cold tyres (higher rolling resistance) and cold grease in the bearings all takes its toll, but like others here I find the human mechanism, especially circulation, the main problem!

Plus cold air is markedly denser than warm air.... well enough to make a difference if going relatively quickly where air resistance becomes dominant over rolling resistance. If theres a headwind of 15mph in summer at 25 deg C( on a rare day up north ) I feel I ride through it rather than against it, thats my perception. Then fewer clothes, warmer body and perhaps more upbeat feeling adds to that. Anyway its looking like a warm weekend up north as opposed to the 3 or 4 degrees( or less ) we've had for a few weeks, so no ice fears. But the price to pay is breezy, there's always something to spoil the party.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm 39. A spring chicken compared to some of you old wrinkly grey haired beard wearing types :lol:
BUT! I'm struggling with the cold like you lot. Sundays 9 mile snow ride was done with......
My new wooly hat (Thanks Mick :) )
My Aldi lobster gloves.
My Aldi rain jacket.
A Tenn winter weight full zipped top.
A Tenn jersey.
A base layer thingy t shirt.
1 pair fleece lined bib tights/leggings.
1 pair Aldi so-called rain proof tights/leggings.
2 pair merino socks.
2 pairs overshoes (1 pair's bigger than the other)
And I'd lined the bottom of my shoes with tin foil. Several layers stuck together with doube sided tape and cut to the shape of the insole. I think it actually worked in reflecting feet heat :)
And all that wasn't for weather that I'd call stupidly cold. Considering the snow, it was quite mild that day.

Last night, I was in my sleeping bag under the duvet. Thats getting to be the norm these days.
I'm sure I'll freeze to death before I hit 60.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Glad I'm not the only one! Don't know whether it's thinner skin, thinner blood, slower metabolism, or something else, but at 73 I get more and more reluctant to go out when it gets into single figures Celsius.

Looks as if this weekend will be better. Might take up outdoor cycling again :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Hit the big eight o last month.

Commuted all my working life, various places 5 - 16 miles from home. Used a trike for icy days so deep snow was the only real problem (walked the 5 miles a few times) Haven't been conscious of feeling the cold more but perhaps the modern clothing has something to do with it. For today's 25 mile ride I had a long sleeved base layer, thin jersey and thermal jacket, roubaix tights, overshoes and " wool" thinsulate gloves inside old track mitts. Hate hats unless it's really cold or raining hard. Ice is a definite no-no so I go out a bit later and watch out for the odd patches in the shade.

Being on warfarin for AF and other age related niggles I know that strenuous exercise in very cold weather can be risky (Dad collapsed and died when clearing snow) so I keep both the speed and gears well down.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I did read somewhere a long time ago that as you age your lung capacity goes down - so I would assume the cold air not as active as warmer air matters much more and is debilitating?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As a matter of interest to some of you north and east of here ....................... the weather is changing.

It was frosty all day yesterday, and when I went to bed last night, it was still frosty ............... but I awoke this morning to find it's +7degC out there! Yes, it's damp and grey, but at least it's mild again. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

squeaker wrote:cold tyres (higher rolling resistance) and cold grease in the bearings all takes its toll

At 61 I'm finding the cold "grease" in the knees presents a bit of a challenge!
But why the knees? Other parts of the body get cold, uncomfortable, lose some sensation and can become less flexible, but it seems to be the special privilege of the knees to be painful accompanied by the sensation of being close to snapping pointUnpleasant even if you aren't cycling.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

I suffer with cold knees, I wear ankle warmers (my wife knitted them) over my knees.

Its +1 this morning but we are not going out on the tandem as I suspect there will be lingering ice patches.