Yet another tyre question

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
3spd

Yet another tyre question

Post by 3spd »

New tyres required, in 700x28.
I don't do winter tyres and then summer tyres, I just fit a pair of tyres and ride them.
At present I am using Vittoria Zaffiro's, these were given to me, but these need replacing.
I ride for transport, some light touring and some longer day rides.

All year round grip is important, I don't like p******e's and I'd prefer little rolling resistance. So what is the 'perfect' tyre?
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
easyroller

Re: Yet another tyre question

Post by easyroller »

Continental GP 4 Seasons.

/thread
gregblack

Post by gregblack »

+1 for Conti 4 seasons. I have been using them since October and covered ca. 2000 miles in all weathers. I have pulled out a few pieces of glass and flint which I would have expected to cause a sudden deflation event on other tyres.

I'll be happy to leave them on all year round. I ride at a reasonable pace and they seem fine in that respect.

GB
Last edited by gregblack on 16 Jan 2016, 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have Continentals on my bikes. Mainly "Grand Prix" but also have the "4 Seasons" on one bike. The 3 punctures I have had in 5 years have all been pinch ones. One due to doing a quick test ride and not inflating enough :oops: The others due to hitting pot holes. No punctures due to glass or thorns etc.
This looks like a good price but don't know if they are folding or wire versions:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cont ... GwodnE4Kkw

For me the "4 season's" are quite pricey so would only go on my best bike. :)
http://road.cc/content/review/149583-co ... 28mm-tyres
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mig

Post by mig »

cycleruk wrote:I have Continentals on my bikes. Mainly "Grand Prix" but also have the "4 Seasons" on one bike. The 3 punctures I have had in 5 years have all been pinch ones. One due to doing a quick test ride and not inflating enough :oops: The others due to hitting pot holes. No punctures due to glass or thorns etc.
This looks like a good price but don't know if they are folding or wire versions:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cont ... GwodnE4Kkw

For me the "4 season's" are quite pricey so would only go on my best bike. :)

i not certain that the second link does indeed review a four seasons version of that tyre. those are a more race oriented one the 4000s...some sort of special black compound in the tread.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Another fan of Conti 4 Seasons. If you don't pump them up too hard they are supple, taking out some of the buzz from the road. They grip really well on wet roads, they resist punctures well, and they don't wear down too quickly. And they are very light and fast. Great for all year use. The clue is in the name.
PH

Post by PH »

I too like GP4S but they're expensive, don't last that long and also come up a bit undersize on Open Pros rims
I use them on my best bike if I've found some in a sale, otherwise I use Vittoria Rubino Pros which are not that far behind and half the price.
For transport type riding I prefer Marathon racers, the 30mm size are just a touch over 28mm on OP rims, not quite as easy rolling but last a lot longer and with better puncture protection.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Another thumbs up for GP4Seasons. They are costing me less than 1p/mile given that I'm getting 3500 miles from a tyre though I did stretch this to 6000 by swapping from rear wheel to front wheel. I won't pay anything over £40 for them, usually paying £32 from Wiggle or pricematching them at Evans or Cycle Surgery.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I bought some '28mm' 4 seasons in the summer as they were on offer at Halfords, honestly not impressed. First off they are very narrow for a 28mm tyre at a measured 26mm on a DT Swiss rim (which is very disappointing!)
Grip is very good but not immense, rolling resistance is average IMHO and for the price you can do a lot better in my humble opinion. Puncture resistance maybe very good but then I don't flat that often on any of my bikes, can't remember the last flat I had on a non commute/utility bike.

I bought a pair of Giant PSL2s at closeout from Rutland for cheaps and they are much closer to 28mm, and replaced the Contis pretty much straight away. They roll really well are grippier and corner much better and 'feel' a lot nicer at similar pressures. There's a puncture belt too but not having flatted on these either I couldn't say if they were any worse aside from the Conti's sidewalls are more robust (I've never had a sidewall puncture in 30 years road riding so not something I'm personally bothered about)
They're £12/each here, even with postage almost half the price of the conti's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIANT-700x-28 ... 1176860373
A Schwalbe Ultremo 28mm if you want even faster rolling
My 2p worth
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

3spd wrote:some longer day rides

Put it on and forget about it?

Marathon Plus (if you can tolerate the added weight).
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

3spd wrote:New tyres required, in 700x28. .... So what is the 'perfect' tyre?

The 'perfect' tyre was Marathon XR HS360, 700x32 :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

Rubinos or whatever Schwalbe Active Line tyre is the right size is probably the best compromise at the moment.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

^ I agree. You can spend a lot more and gain relatively little benefit in terms of increased puncture resistance.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

mig wrote:
cycleruk wrote:For me the "4 season's" are quite pricey so would only go on my best bike. :)

i not certain that the second link does indeed review a four seasons version of that tyre. those are a more race oriented one the 4000s...some sort of special black compound in the tread.

Yes your right - sorry - my mistake :oops: . Though I still have the "4season's", which are 2008 vintage, on one of my bikes. :)
These where the tyres that I hadn't inflated properly after a quick assembly. Rode the bike just to check the gears and then put it away ready for the next days ride. Next morning, discovered the flat tyre and found the "snake bite". Inflated them properly ever since. The other 2 times where on the Grand Prix GTs and both due to hitting pot holes.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hondated

Post by hondated »

PH wrote:I too like GP4S but they're expensive, don't last that long and also come up a bit undersize on Open Pros rims
I use them on my best bike if I've found some in a sale, otherwise I use Vittoria Rubino Pros which are not that far behind and half the price.
For transport type riding I prefer Marathon racers, the 30mm size are just a touch over 28mm on OP rims, not quite as easy rolling but last a lot longer and with better puncture protection.

Totally agree PH. This week I got a pinch puncture in my Rubino Pros and as they were both looking smooth I replaced them with some new GP4S's that I had brought for a bike I am building.
I am certainly now going to buy some more Rubino Pros as they have served me well and now my grandson is working at Halfords part time I can even get a discount on them.