Lightset on ebay, thought I'd share

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Lightset on ebay, thought I'd share

Post by Tonyf33 »

Saw these on ebay, as I'm trying yet again to get my son to cycle to work (& have bought him another lighter more practical bike that looks blingy too :D ) thought I'd get him a decent front light.
Anyhow, the run time seems pretty decent and a review I read says it's good even for unlit country lane cycling or trails off road that you kow well (but not too fast) thought I'd give them a go and see how they are before handing them over. Well just in case I might nab them for myself :lol:
Originally about £100 just for the main unit and battery pack which compared to a lot of lights now is OTT but at £35 delivered and including a secondary light thought it was a pretty good deal.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121573725963
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 16 Jan 2016, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Re: Lightset on ebay, thought I'd share

Post by Bonefishblues »

Remarkable value, and also notable how much bicycle lighting has advanced since I used to put brighter bulbs and rechargeables in my Ever Ready (?) F&R lights and thought I was leading edge...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

3000 Lux at 1 metre! That should create a bright spot at the front wheel rim. :lol: We now have a Lux "war" to challenge the Lumen "war".
I'm not saying the light isn't good - just the way it is marketed. :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

MikeF wrote:3000 Lux at 1 metre! That should create a bright spot at the front wheel rim. :lol: We now have a Lux "war" to challenge the Lumen "war".
I'm not saying the light isn't good - just the way it is marketed. :evil:

Oh yes, the marketing of lights is pants with a lot of it utterly meaningless. Apparently this one is 320 lumens, I'm not sure where the 3000LUX came from as even BBB don't mention it on their own website!
The review I read said the beam pattern was pretty tight which is ideal for mostly urban riding with some unlit roads now & again.
Fingers crossed it's ok. I'll review it anyway
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'd double check whether the helmet mount is included as it says both that it isn't and that it is, unless they mean the one they send isn't the one pictured.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Postboxer wrote:I'd double check whether the helmet mount is included as it says both that it isn't and that it is, unless they mean the one they send isn't the one pictured.

Well spotted, I've removed that in my wording and let people make their own minds up as it is a bit ambiguous, doesn't affect me either way as neither of us are H@@@@T wearers..lol
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Thanks for the link. I've been on the lookout for something similar for a while so have bought a set, was able to collect as well so have them already and saved the delivery charge. They do not come with the helmet mount. Initial impression is that they work well and are worth the money.

In my case I was after decent lights that could be used in conjunction with my bar bag, which obscures lights mounted in the usual bar top position. The fixing on these lights allow them to be mounted on the very bottom of the drops, on the inside. In this position the beams clear the bag, they don't interfere with my hand positions, can easily be switched on & off, and the lights can be swivelled if required to provide a higher or lower beam. They should be ideal for some night rides I'm planning, although a battery life test is still required.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Ta ever so - just ordered one, at that price it's worth a try
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vitara wrote:Thanks for the link. I've been on the lookout for something similar for a while so have bought a set, was able to collect as well so have them already and saved the delivery charge. They do not come with the helmet mount. Initial impression is that they work well and are worth the money.

In my case I was after decent lights that could be used in conjunction with my bar bag, which obscures lights mounted in the usual bar top position. The fixing on these lights allow them to be mounted on the very bottom of the drops, on the inside. In this position the beams clear the bag, they don't interfere with my hand positions, can easily be switched on & off, and the lights can be swivelled if required to provide a higher or lower beam. They should be ideal for some night rides I'm planning, although a battery life test is still required.

thanks for that, I was going to ask my cousin to pick them up for me as she's less than 1/2 mile away and I thought the postage a bit excessive, really was tempted to buy two sets just for the extra battery and muliple mounts for other bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Tonyf33 wrote: I'm not sure where the 3000LUX came from as even BBB don't mention it on their own website!
The packaging on the ebay link. :wink:
Screen shot 2016-01-19 at 17.31.26.png
I don't peddle bikes.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

MikeF wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote: I'm not sure where the 3000LUX came from as even BBB don't mention it on their own website!
The packaging on the ebay link. :wink:
Screen shot 2016-01-19 at 17.31.26.png

lol, I can't even see it in your pic but the figure is laughable anyway, if I get around 30 Lux at 10 metres with one light I'll be happy
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Here's another go of uploading the image from your ebay link
$_57.jpg

Trouble is the upload allows only 256K so the image needs "juggling around". You should now be able to see all the detail if you click the image.
However I've only taken it from your ebay link. :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vitara wrote:Thanks for the link. I've been on the lookout for something similar for a while so have bought a set, was able to collect as well so have them already and saved the delivery charge. They do not come with the helmet mount. Initial impression is that they work well and are worth the money.

Seems you had the best opyion collecting in person, nothing has arrived despite the supposed 24 hour delivery, no response to messages..bloody typical! :twisted:
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Well worth the punt - delivered quickly (maybe I'm just lucky?), seems to work well and having two lamps - especially at that money - gives a bit of flexibility. One lamp floodlights the garden very well thank you on the lower power setting, the higher one doesn't seem that much brighter but using it on the road might be better. With no cut-off to the beam will have to watch the alignment when it/they go on the bike!

Thanks for the tip - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !