How to inflate tyres on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
syklist

Re: How to inflate tyres on the road?

Post by syklist »

eileithyia wrote:Frame fit portable track style pump;

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Mini-Mor ... q_F8P8HAQ#

It is not the easiest pump to use, expect to crack/skin your knuckles if you are not wearing gloves. I don't know if they have improved the pressure gauge since I bought mine but it is really very basic and jumps 2 or 3 times per bar of pressure rather than going up slowly and consistently. Otherwise, it does the job, mine is still working fine 6 years after I bought it. If you are running 54mm wide MTB tyres then it will still take a while to pump them up :)
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I had one of those topeak mini turbo morph things for a while. I wasn't impressed with its build quality. I also watched as the ride leaders morph fell to bits while inflating his tyre.
I have a Bontrager Mini Charger which is utterly brilliant.
http://www.mobilecycleservice.co.uk/pro ... 4432928324

They're getting hard to find now though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Topeak road morph for me when i used to use just a pump, for a quick change i carry a co2 inflator with a back up topeak pocket rocket.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Having been visited by the P*nct*re fairy, there is a problem with the CO2 systems

The Cylinder Fairy will always ensure that the number of cannisters you carry is always one less than the number of tyres that need inflating
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Yesterday I stopped for a guy mending a puncture near box hill. His mates had ridden on and he had forgotten a spare tube. The blister pack was empty so I gave him one of mine. He started to inflate the tyre with a pocket pump but I was getting cold so loaned him my frame pump which inflated his tyre in no time. I think a frame pump is a must unless weight is really critical.
PH

Post by PH »

roberts8 wrote: I think a frame pump is a must unless weight is really critical.

For a long time I would have agreed with that, but the new breed of mini floor pumps like the Morph range beat my HPX by a fair margin, both in terms of speed and pressure.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:Having been visited by the P*nct*re fairy, there is a problem with the CO2 systems

The Cylinder Fairy will always ensure that the number of cannisters you carry is always one less than the number of tyres that need inflating
What about the number of tubes?

I carry two CO2 canisters and two tubes, unless I'm going further afield, and then I carry maybe four tubes, plus a puncture outfit and a Lezyne pump.
Product-handpumps-mcrofldrhphpg1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
syklist

Post by syklist »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Having been visited by the P*nct*re fairy, there is a problem with the CO2 systems

What about the number of tubes?

I carry two CO2 canisters and two tubes, unless I'm going further afield, and then I carry maybe four tubes, plus a puncture outfit and a Lezyne pump.

That sounds like a lot. Even on longer cycle camping tours I take only one spare inner tube and the Top Peak pump for our two bikes. Plus a small emergency pump on Mrs Syklist's bike, a spare 20" inner tube for the trailer and an unwanted deflation repair kit per bike.

That difference weight between your unwanted deflation repair systems and mine should just about compensate for the difference in weight between your derailleur gear system and my Rohloff. :D
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

2 tubes and a puncture kit for me regardless of where I'm going.
On a warm sunny day I don't mind patching a tube by the side of a country lane out in the moors. But when it's pi****g hail in mid winter with an arctic gale blowing, having that second spare tube because I missed that little bugger of a glass shard hiding in the tread is a godsend.
I learnt the hard way :twisted:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I have a Lezyne Road Drive in the Large size (283 mm, 110 g). It works well and with some effort will reach about 100 PSI, which is unusual for a mini pump (but of course it’s not actually very mini). It comes with a mount that attaches beneath a water bottle cage.

But does anyone know of a much smaller pump that will get close to 100 PSI? On my faster rides I’d prefer something super-small to fit in a jersey pocket or tiny saddlebag.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

syklist wrote:
Mick F wrote:I carry two CO2 canisters and two tubes, unless I'm going further afield, and then I carry maybe four tubes, plus a puncture outfit and a Lezyne pump.

That sounds like a lot.
When I go away, I take my trailer and weight/volume isn't an issue. I've taken a spare (foldable) tyre with me before.

Also, I've said before that I use narrow tyres and tubes and they can be a pig to repair if the hole is big. Spare tubes are essential, and they don't weigh much compared to the "kitchen sink" that I always take! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vantage wrote:2 tubes and a puncture kit for me regardless of where I'm going.
On a warm sunny day I don't mind patching a tube by the side of a country lane out in the moors. But when it's pi****g hail in mid winter with an arctic gale blowing, having that second spare tube because I missed that little bugger of a glass shard hiding in the tread is a godsend.
I learnt the hard way :twisted:

+1

2 tubes, repair kit just in case, tiny pump (cheapo Halfords take on Mick F's nice pump, good for 95psi without breaking into a sweat) and levers. And my multi-tool has to include something to prize out bits of glass from the tyre tread. All this is kept in the bag, all the time. And the bike never moves without the bag being on it.
trogg

Post by trogg »

Topeak Mountain Morph for me, having tried several pumps I've found one that actually works.

Comes with mounting kit and it has a fold out gauge and a fold out foot which means it works like a track pump, forgot to say the top folds over as well, which makes it easier and more comfortable to use. pumps up tyres in seconds without sweat and aching arms

Disadvantage is that it's big and if you have it on the top tube like me , it's very noticeable which means anyone with a puncture within half a mile will want to borrow it :roll:
boing boing
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

I would recommend the Lezyne as well.
Very well made, robust,light and effective.
PH

Post by PH »

John Holiday wrote:I would recommend the Lezyne as well.
Very well made, robust,light and effective.

How do you stop them unscrewing your valves? I watched someone pump a tyre up three times, each time the valve unscrewed when he tried to remove the pump. He admitted defeat any used someone else's pump.