Seriously, is it really my road position?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jatindersangha

Seriously, is it really my road position?

Post by jatindersangha »

Hi all,

I had a session with a Bikeability Level 3 instructor - who said that my riding and positioning was good. My only fault being that I took left turns a little too tight and should swing out more before turning left to deter drivers that may want to overtake me whilst they were also turning left. I wasn't sure about this though.

He was from the local area and knew the roads very well and agreed that my bug bear (the A322) was a nasty road.

I have another session with him in 2 weeks time where he'll be watching me traverse large roundabouts, travel along a dual-carriageway that goes from 2 lanes to 4 in one direction and then turn right and then along a 50mph speed road etc.

I took my road bike out this weekend for a leisure ride to burn off some excess pounds gathered over Christmas. I used my rear camera for the first time on it (I normally only use it on my commuting folding bike) and have a few souvenirs...

Is it really my road position?

https://youtu.be/Eeova9ewvO4 An orange VW van passes extremely closely on a clear road? (Not the A322!)

https://youtu.be/1f_g2Wa6DUU A black Honda swerves towards me whilst overtaking, followed by a white BMW that practically brushes past my elbow. (Sadly, the A322 again)

I tried to stay a little closer to the kerb when I was riding - but I'm still roughly 1m out from the kerb. I wobbled when the Honda swerved towards me - so I decided to pull out into the middle of the lane in the hope of deterring further craziness.

--Jatinder
irc

Re: Seriously, is it really my road position?

Post by irc »

1st video still being processed by youtube.

2nd video. Sorry I'm not watching the full 7 mins. Can you say what time the close passes are at?

A general point on close passes. If you are riding 1m or more from the kerb and use a rear view mirror you can see the close passes coming and move in to avoid them being so close. Also lets you see when cars are holding back behind you.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Agree with above, first video is 10 mins long, when i realised this i started flicking thru but missed the van, second one i too will not watch 7mins of boring video for one incident.

Truth is it does not matter what your road position, nor how experienced and length of cycling experience..... there will always be an idiot out there, once you accept that you will keep a close watch and learn to anticipate what they will do.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Sorry, I put the details in the youtube video description - obviously that's not displayed here.

Video 1: Orange Van, takes place at 13:41 on the video time-code, about 1m 30s into the video.
Video 2: Honda & BMW, takes place at 14:02 and 14:03, approx. at around 2m 30s into the video.

--Jatinder
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Looks like a normal day on my commute..... yes they did appear to be a bit close, but sadly this sort of **** happens, if you are far enough out, you have some chance of moving in slightly as soon as you aware of how close they are passing. Yes you can get angry (I have done and do) but it does not solve anything, just fires you up for the rest of the ride.... if it is a commercial vehicle, you can take note of the company and pass comments and the video to their managers..... assuming it is not a one-man operative.

This week i have complained about a local bus driver and equally complimented a local authority about their refuse van driver..... :)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:Agree with above, first video is 10 mins long, when i realised this i started flicking thru but missed the van, second one i too will not watch 7mins of boring video for one incident.

+1
One thing.I would have let the Saab overtake me at the T junction by moving over for him when you were stopped.

Truth is it does not matter what your road position, nor how experienced and length of cycling experience..... there will always be an idiot out there, once you accept that you will keep a close watch and learn to anticipate what they will do.....

+1 again It's how you control potential dangerous overtakers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

[quote="reohn2"]
One thing.I would have let the Saab overtake me at the T junction by moving over for him when you were stopped.
...[quote]

Which video was that in?

--Jatinder
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Ah yes, I see that it's in the first video - at the bottom of the hill.

You're right, I should have let the Saab go first as he was very considerate not attempting to overtake whilst I enjoyed my descent. I did wave a thank you to him ;-)

--Jatinder
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jatindersangha wrote:Ah yes, I see that it's in the first video - at the bottom of the hill.

You're right, I should have let the Saab go first as he was very considerate not attempting to overtake whilst I enjoyed my descent. I did wave a thank you to him ;-)

--Jatinder

Yep,try and help the poor souls if you can,they've nothing to look forward to :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

If you are riding 1m or more from the kerb and use a rear view mirror you can see the close passes coming and move in to avoid them being so close. Also lets you see when cars are holding back behind you.

Does this mean use the rear view mirror continuously? I spend more time looking ahead than in the mirror :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Having watched both videos up to the overtakes in question, your position at those points does not look significantly different to during the previous overtakes.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The Saab is behind you for around 2 1/2 minutes. So in balance with the close passes, they hung back for a long time.
3putter

Post by 3putter »

To answer the initial question, it is correct to maintain a strong position before turning left to discourage the overtake while turning. In addition, I would only signal a left turn if there was a vehicle waiting to come out of the side road and there were no oncoming or following vehicles liable to do something silly if they saw a signal.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Pondering this again today while out, ultimately you can only do so much to control the situation, but there will always be somebody who will pass closely or do just what you are trying to prevent.

Near me I have a roundabout to negotiate once or twice a week; the approach fans out into 2 lanes;left and straight on with right turners in outside lane. No matter where i position myself in the straight on lane i will have someone pass and turn left across the front of me, or on one occasion undertake and go straight as we both entered the roundabout......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't see anything wrong with your road position. Actually, the cars around you seem to be pretty well behaved. Yes, a couple came a bit close, but it happens from time to time. :( If it weren't for your road position, you would have many more of those, I'm sure. Not to excuse bad driving, but I'm sure most of us have had far worse.

The only additional thing I can suggest is the occasional strategic wobble.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom