bike thief sentenced

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
greyingbeard

bike thief sentenced

Post by greyingbeard »

Prolific bicycle thief becomes the first man in Britain to be given a LIFE-TIME ban from riding a bike – or even going within four metres of one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-one.html
beardy

Re: bike thief sentenced

Post by beardy »

Has anybody ever had a lifetime ban from being in or even driving a car?

As much as I would like to see something done about this guy, it is wrong that riding a bicycle is seem as something so out of the ordinary that it can be banned for life, even though his crimes were theft rather than dangerous cycling.

You dont hear of people being banned from owning shoes, food or clothes after long strings of theft.
People who kill quite a few other people through abuse of a car only get banned from having a car for a short period of time.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

very strange judgement. as others have said we need to see that applied to car drivers?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From the article,this is what the judge ordered:-

He also passed an indefinite Criminal Behaviour Order which makes it an offence for Liddicoat to have a bicycle unless he can prove ownership of it.

In the circumstances it seems reasonable to me.
This chap is addicted to heroin,so it a 99% chance that's what's driving his thieving,he needs rehab whilst in prison,what's betting he won't get it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beardy

Post by beardy »

As usual the journalism was less than clear. After reading it a couple of times, I decided to take the article as being written correctly, in which case this restriction would be additional to the ban on riding bikes.

It is, of course, possible that the journalist was merely misinterpreting the ban on unproven ownership as a ban on riding.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

He explained how the owner said Liddicoat had also stolen 20 bottles of wine she was saving for Christmas.

I hope she wasn't planning on riding her bike.

In general, the varlet is a heroin addict and he'll be in clink for 3½ years minus X months for knitting proficiency or whatever. Time to get him cold turkeyed or is the stuff that easy to get inside?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good old Daily Mail! :lol:

A prolific bicycle has become the first man in Britain ..............

A prolific bicycle???? :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Poor bloke's no cyclist... what's the blinkin' point of "a lifetime ban from cycling" - he just needs help to get off heroin. If he remains addicted, he'll simply carry on where he left off when he gets out, knicking more bikes or whatever else he can get his hands on, to get more brown.
And anyone who asks, "Why should he get help?" is just showing that they haven't a clue about the nature of addiction...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A sad case, The easiest way to sort this would be to give the man and all the other petty thief addicts the heroin in regulated clinics, It would save millions in courts and police time, this ban is unlikely to make any difference to him.
NUKe

Post by simonineaston »

NUKe wrote:A sad case, The easiest way to sort this would be to give the man and all the other petty thief addicts the heroin in regulated clinics, It would save millions in courts and police time, this ban is unlikely to make any difference to him.
Quite! I'm almost 100% certain if we asked him if enjoyed his lifestyle, he'd look at us as if we were mad...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe force him to ride a bike, til he enjoys it, appreciates it, loves it, loves his bike. Assuming he's only ever ridden them like they're stolen, not just for a nice leisurely ride.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:
NUKe wrote:A sad case, The easiest way to sort this would be to give the man and all the other petty thief addicts the heroin in regulated clinics, It would save millions in courts and police time, this ban is unlikely to make any difference to him.
Quite! I'm almost 100% certain if we asked him if enjoyed his lifestyle, he'd look at us as if we were mad...

I'd have to agree,what's need is a reason for addicts not to want use.
Unfortunately when the cat's out of the bag,it's hard to get it back in :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I wouldnt want him learning to enjoy cycling, he may start to recognise a good bike when he sees it and only nick the expensive ones