Someone nearly killed me today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sapperadam

Re: Someone nearly killed me today

Post by sapperadam »

Flinders wrote:mjr, having had the misfortune to drive in Cambridge last year for the first time in years, I've never in my life seen so many mad, suicidal, inconsiderate, and downright incompetent cyclists- often in packs- some of them would be dead in a week round here. (A local cyclist Mr Ortho was on a course with down there said the same, she was very frustrated by it; she put it down to people going there to study and riding a bike in the city when the last time they rode one was when they were about 8 and in a local park.)

I suspect that sot of behavior would have an impact on drivers, in that they would assume the worst and give all cyclists a lot of space and time. It gave me the serious willies, and I'm a very careful driver. :shock:

I learnt to drive in Cambridge many years ago. The only way to get around Cambridge is really by bike though, the roads are so narrow. However, as you said, the standard of cycling is not great, a vast majority of the bikes probably don't cost much more than a few quid, and the main reason they ride in packs is because there are so many of them. How many other places have upwards of a couple of thousand bikes parked outside the train station?

The main problem there is there is no space for proper infrastructure but once you get used to driving round there, it is actually one of the best, yet worst, places to be a cyclist because drivers are always aware of them but there is nowhere more evident of the "war" with cyclists than there.

Having said that though, I was on a coach last week which went through London during the rush hour and I couldn't believe the standard of some cyclists there, so much worse than I ever saw in Cambridge. In the space of about half an hour, I saw more near misses, many of which were actually the fault of cyclists, than I see in the space of a couple of months here. Is it any wonder that drivers can be so militant when they are greeted with such bad behaviours from some cyclists?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

sapperadam wrote:
Flinders wrote:mjr, having had the misfortune to drive in Cambridge last year for the first time in years, I've never in my life seen so many mad, suicidal, inconsiderate, and downright incompetent cyclists- often in packs- some of them would be dead in a week round here. (A local cyclist Mr Ortho was on a course with down there said the same, she was very frustrated by it; she put it down to people going there to study and riding a bike in the city when the last time they rode one was when they were about 8 and in a local park.)

I suspect that sot of behavior would have an impact on drivers, in that they would assume the worst and give all cyclists a lot of space and time. It gave me the serious willies, and I'm a very careful driver. :shock:

I learnt to drive in Cambridge many years ago. The only way to get around Cambridge is really by bike though, the roads are so narrow. However, as you said, the standard of cycling is not great, a vast majority of the bikes probably don't cost much more than a few quid, and the main reason they ride in packs is because there are so many of them. How many other places have upwards of a couple of thousand bikes parked outside the train station?

The main problem there is there is no space for proper infrastructure but once you get used to driving round there, it is actually one of the best, yet worst, places to be a cyclist because drivers are always aware of them but there is nowhere more evident of the "war" with cyclists than there.

Having said that though, I was on a coach last week which went through London during the rush hour and I couldn't believe the standard of some cyclists there, so much worse than I ever saw in Cambridge. In the space of about half an hour, I saw more near misses, many of which were actually the fault of cyclists, than I see in the space of a couple of months here. Is it any wonder that drivers can be so militant when they are greeted with such bad behaviours from some cyclists?

One pack of cyclists at a junction where I was waiting went across first through green lights, and then continued to flow across through the red lights whilst we (on green) waited. Precisely one car got out of the queue I was in on that sequence. Many cyclists didn't appear able to control their machines at all, and their braking distances were appalling even when they bothered to brake. I've also never heard so many squeaks and grinding noises from bikes either. It just shows that you can be good at passing exams and yet completely stupid, all at the same time.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mjr wrote:Yes, Flinders, I chose "rampant" for a reason :lol:. Was it October when you were there? That's usually a low point in behaviour...

Indeed, I think it was..... :mrgreen:
I was a student in London, that sort of thing there would leave you as a smear on the road.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Like them or loathe them.....

This is the reason the AirZound was invented!

The number of times I have been in a similar situation and the AirZound has woken the muppet as to what is happening is countless
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

robing wrote: I could predict what was going to happen next. I knew the lead driver hadn't seen me so I prepared myself. And sure enough as I approached he pulled out in front of me on to the main road and went the opposite way. Now because I had read the situation, I was able to brake safely. If I hadn't I would have gone over his bonnet

Do any advanced or defensive driving course and a great proportion of it is all about anticipation and planning for the "unexpected". One thing I learnt is that it is also a good a way of avoiding red mist, whether in a car or on a bike. Instead of ranting (and probably blaring a horn in a car) and chasing culprits down at the next junction to give them a piece of your mind (whilst presumably hoping the fool isn't twice your size and/or got a knife and/or is likely to ram you later), you can in contrast give yourself a metophorical pat on the back that you saw the risk developing, dealt with it and can now carry on peddaling or driving (reasonably) happily - at least after a few seconds.

Sounds like you anticipated this pretty well. :D

Hard to be a saint all the time of course, but if you can be one in 8/10 situations instead of 2/10, one can keep safer - and probably happier. Pity we have to do it more often than we would like though - I agree.

Happy cycling.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Flinders wrote:
mjr wrote:Yes, Flinders, I chose "rampant" for a reason :lol:. Was it October when you were there? That's usually a low point in behaviour...

Indeed, I think it was..... :mrgreen:
I was a student in London, that sort of thing there would leave you as a smear on the road.

Yes, lots of new students, there long enough to buy bikes but not yet familiar with their bikes or the roads, some unfamiliar with UK traffic entirely. It is sort of beautiful that somewhere exists where such behaviour doesn't carry a death penalty, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

You do have to "over-anticipate" at times. Cyclists always get me that say "Its my right to..." whatever it is their right to do, that might be correct but is it worth dying for? Of course not. Cyclists might have the same rights as a motor car but they go at a third of the speed.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mjr wrote:Yes, lots of new students, there long enough to buy bikes but not yet familiar with their bikes or the roads, some unfamiliar with UK traffic entirely. It is sort of beautiful that somewhere exists where such behaviour doesn't carry a death penalty, though.

I'm surprised it hasn't. :(
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Some drivers are envious I am sure. Some guy weighing 300lb thinking if 'I can't whizz around on a bicycle then no one else can'. I am quite certain this is why some drivers get angry, they see you doing something they are a million miles from doing and it annoys them.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Manc33 wrote:Some drivers are envious I am sure. Some guy weighing 300lb thinking if 'I can't whizz around on a bicycle then no one else can'. I am quite certain this is why some drivers get angry, they see you doing something they are a million miles from doing and it annoys them.

It's something like that. Most people I know just Wouldn't Cycle. You suggest it - "look, you live four miles from work, it takes you half an hour in a car because of traffic, why not cycle it?" and they just say no. It isn't something They Do. And because someone else does, that makes them a person who isn't One of Us, because We don't Cycle. You're an outgroup. There's an unfortunate tribal tendancy in some people to automatically dislike people who aren't in Their Tribe. Why is "weirdo" such an effective insult in the school playground? Humans don't like difference. Difference is bad. Why do you think some people get so upset and start ranting about PC Gorn Mad the moment it's even suggested that accepting diversity may be a Good Thing?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

karlt wrote:
Manc33 wrote:Some drivers are envious I am sure. Some guy weighing 300lb thinking if 'I can't whizz around on a bicycle then no one else can'. I am quite certain this is why some drivers get angry, they see you doing something they are a million miles from doing and it annoys them.

It's something like that. Most people I know just Wouldn't Cycle. You suggest it - "look, you live four miles from work, it takes you half an hour in a car because of traffic, why not cycle it?" and they just say no. It isn't something They Do. And because someone else does, that makes them a person who isn't One of Us, because We don't Cycle. You're an outgroup. There's an unfortunate tribal tendancy in some people to automatically dislike people who aren't in Their Tribe. Why is "weirdo" such an effective insult in the school playground? Humans don't like difference. Difference is bad. Why do you think some people get so upset and start ranting about PC Gorn Mad the moment it's even suggested that accepting diversity may be a Good Thing?

I agree,and the situation is made worse by being vulnerable and slow,so such an out group as cyclists are easily abused because motorists think there's little chance of comebacks.
The shock in a motorists face when you catch them up at the next TL/jam and tap on the window can be a joy to behold,however polite I am :mrgreen: .
The majority are apologetic when confronted as they sit rooted to the spot stuck in the jam,with the tables turned,they're just not ready for it :D .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
scragglymonkeyman

Post by scragglymonkeyman »

I agree, I've caught up with people and politely said you almost knocked me over back there, you were x far away from me and they were genuinely shocked and sorry (the last time was an ambulance off duty) - they always say " I didn't see you" despite overtaking a fluorescent flashing blue and yellow thing on wheels. I haven't had any righteous angry people yet (but I am 6ft 1" and built!).