Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuvre.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuv

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Disregarding priority. I really hate the ******s who try to wave me out when I am obliged to wait. I point at the "wait" sign and shout, "können Sie lesen?" (can you read?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Disregarding priority. I really hate the ******s who try to wave me out when I am obliged to wait. I point at the "wait" sign and shout, "können Sie lesen?" (can you read?)

Both when driving and cycling, it seems to me it is generally safer to stick to the legal priorities as defined by signage and road markings - this causes less confusion. There are exceptions of course, especially in heavy slow-moving traffic, but generally I don't cede my priority, and don't expect others to do so for me.

Having said that, surely someone ceding priority is generally trying to be helpful? I understand sometimes it is better not to accept their kind offer, depending on other surrounding events and traffic, but I would not shout at the "offender" - just adds to the anti-cyclist impression some folks have. Maybe it's different in Germany?
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Disregarding priority. I really hate the ******s who try to wave me out when I am obliged to wait. I point at the "wait" sign and shout, "können Sie lesen?" (can you read?)

I get this fairly frequently when I drive to work, so it's not just a bike thing. I need to turn right into the office car park, across 2 lanes; it's normally someone in either a van or a large 4x4 that stops in the outside lane, blocking my view of the inside lane. I don't move unless I know that both lanes (and the entrance) are clear, which often results in rude gestures from the person who thinks they are doing me a 'favour'. It's really a question of the driver not having a real understanding of the road environment, and that is a bit worrying - as often as not there is nothing behind the stopped car (in their lane) so simply continuing would have been better. When I cycle in, I approach from the other direction, so this issue doesn't arise.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nosmarbaj wrote:Both when driving and cycling, it seems to me it is generally safer to stick to the legal priorities as defined by signage and road markings - this causes less confusion. There are exceptions of course, especially in heavy slow-moving traffic, but generally I don't cede my priority, and don't expect others to do so for me.

What I feel causes more confusion is where the signage and road markings are contrary to normality and good sense for no obvious reason, except perhaps highway authority foolishness, such as a side road's give way jutting into a cycleway continuing straight across its mouth. I'll gladly take priority in those cases when offered - and it usually is, as most motorists and cyclists here are kind to each other, else traffic in our medieval town would never work.

If you don't want priority (such as the person giving way blocking your view of another lane potentially continuing), then signal "no, after you" rather than abusing someone trying to be helpful!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

nosmarbaj wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Disregarding priority. I really hate the b******s who try to wave me out when I am obliged to wait. I point at the "wait" sign and shout, "können Sie lesen?" (can you read?)

Both when driving and cycling, it seems to me it is generally safer to stick to the legal priorities as defined by signage and road markings - this causes less confusion. There are exceptions of course, especially in heavy slow-moving traffic, but generally I don't cede my priority, and don't expect others to do so for me.

Having said that, surely someone ceding priority is generally trying to be helpful? I understand sometimes it is better not to accept their kind offer, depending on other surrounding events and traffic, but I would not shout at the "offender" - just adds to the anti-cyclist impression some folks have. Maybe it's different in Germany?

Maybe it is different in Germany, I have not lived in the UK for many years. Fortunately it is necessary to shout when the vehicles windows are closed, and the rules are clear. There are plenty of "accidents" caused by abuse of priority rules, I do not see that I can ignore them even if it suits me. Or may I ignore any rule if I chosse? No, I just wait in the cold until the way is free.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

One that annoys me:

Sat in ASL at junction, turning right. Motorcyclist pulls up on my left into box, ignoring rules :evil: . Quite clear they are turning right...from a left hand position :twisted: . I now have a fast moving vehicle attempting to cut through on my inside, ignoring the rules of the road simply so they can get to the front of the junction. You would never get a car turning right and another car pulling up on the left, trying to cut around you as you leave the junction but Bristolian bikers seem oblivious of the safety implications of crossing a cyclists path. I occasionally reposition my bike in front of them to stop this, only to be given either a disapproving look or a middle finger. I'm a cyclist using the cycling facility provided for me. These idiots are abusing a cycling facility that they have no right to use.