Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuvre.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuv

Post by Bonefishblues »

Anything involving the lack of application of patience - as a motorist I just don't get it, yet it's endemic.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Drivers that get impatient at light-controlled junctions and pull out of the queue to bomb it on the wrong side of the road to take a right turn before the light-controlled junction (often a garage forecourt on the corner - they use it to bypass the lights). There are a couple of such junctions in Coventry that I use regularly both as a cyclist and a pedestrian.

As a pedestrian, I get frustrated at light-controlled crossroads where I don't have enough time to cross the road between light changes because drivers amber-gamble and RLJ to fill the time up until the other traffic starts flowing in earnest (this even happens when pedestrians have the 'green man' light in their favour).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Driving on the wrong side of the road, heavy oncoming traffic, and deliberately ramming the person on two wheels.

See todays daily mail. Must be true they have loads of pictures and never get sued for libel
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

greyingbeard wrote:Driving on the wrong side of the road, heavy oncoming traffic, and deliberately ramming the person on two wheels.

See todays daily mail. Must be true they have loads of pictures and never get sued for libel

An Audi driver too. Who would have thunk it? :roll:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Driving on a shared use pedestrian/cycletrack.
[youtube]oNPag9KcPXI[/youtube]
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:another suggestion: putting on the seatbelt while driving. an acrobatic manouvre indeed that needs both hands.

I don't give a *** if someione else is not belted up, they endanger only themselves. But it should not be possible (interlock!) to belt up while driving.

Anyone using both hands to do this is a bit silly - its many, many years since seatbelts were designed to be fitted one-handed for those too lazy to put it one BEFORE driving off!

Undertaking, especially when the car being undertaken has moved over to give a cyclist a decent bit of space.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
sapperadam

Post by sapperadam »

Worst (yet best) for me. Coming up to roundabout, left lane is left turn only. I always go straight on here on my way home.

One day, come round the bend (the roundabout is off a main road), the left hand lane is blocked off by cones. There's two police cars blocking the lane as there had been an accident. I follow my usual line, but this time I'm keeping an eye out for the cars indicating left at the entrance to the roundabout. Car at the front as I get there indicates left so I hang back next to the van I was just passing.

Car turns left, happy days, van isn't indicating, onto the roundabout, van then decides to turn into me. Then drives off. Shortly followed by one of said police cars.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

rmurphy195 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:another suggestion: putting on the seatbelt while driving. an acrobatic manouvre indeed that needs both hands.

I don't give a *** if someione else is not belted up, they endanger only themselves. But it should not be possible (interlock!) to belt up while driving.

Anyone using both hands to do this is a bit silly - its many, many years since seatbelts were designed to be fitted one-handed for those too lazy to put it one BEFORE driving off!

Undertaking, especially when the car being undertaken has moved over to give a cyclist a decent bit of space.

You don’t need to wear a seat belt if you’re:

a driver who is reversing, or supervising a learner driver who is reversing
in a vehicle being used for police, fire and rescue services
a passenger in a trade vehicle and you’re investigating a fault
driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops
a licensed taxi driver who is ‘plying for hire’ or carrying passengers

So between the reversing manouver and setting off in a forward direction the fitting of the seat belt is required.
Since they are designed to be applied one handed, without looking, I will do both at the same time...

I have to say that the final exemption there surprised me - taxi drivers?!?!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Oh yes, you know, taxi drivers, those fine fellows who drive impeccably and are always hopping in and out of their vehicles to assist their passengers getting in and out, helping you with your bags, carrying them to the door for you and obviously getting out to come and ring your doorbell when they arrive to pick you up. None of them just stay sat in their vehicles beeping their horns, that never happens.

Yes it is stupid, the passenger is on the same journey as the taxi driver, so why is ok for one to not wear a seatbelt but not the other?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Maybe it's about risk compensation, if the driver isn't belted then they might be more careful?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:

driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops

So between the reversing manouver and setting off in a forward direction the fitting of the seat belt is required.
Since they are designed to be applied one handed, without looking, I will do both at the same time...

One can grab the belt with one hand, then one needs to take the other hand off the wheel to to loop it round.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:

One can grab the belt with one hand, then one needs to take the other hand off the wheel to to loop it round.

Left hand on wheel, right hand through belt and forward; belt now across chest.
Right hand on wheel, left hand grasps buckle and places it in QR clip.

There are many normal driving operations which require one hand off the wheel, particularly gear changes. This is no different and can be done perfectly safely if done at the right time with consideration for what is outside the vehicle; so as with any other action a driver takes it can also be dangerous if carelessly performed.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I cant decide if that is satire, or more special for "advanced" drivers' safety tips.

Personally I am not sufficiently articulated to get my seat belt with my right arm and when let go of, it tends to retract itself. Hold in the teeth possibly?
beardy

Post by beardy »

My nomination is for "follow the leader" driving. Where drivers just latch on to somebody's bumper and follow them through everything like a trailer.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

beardy wrote:I cant decide if that is satire, or more special for "advanced" drivers' safety tips.

Personally I am not sufficiently articulated to get my seat belt with my right arm and when let go of, it tends to retract itself. Hold in the teeth possibly?

I'm not sure if this is satire, or a belief that "If I can't no-one can".

There may be a difference in how far behind your shoulder the seatbelt is located - this is normally a function of seat position. Alternatively, we may differ in shoulder flexibility (although I have an injury to my right shoulder, caused by a motorist driving 'through' me).