Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuvre.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

Hi,

The overtake on the approach to a left turn at a junction or rounadabout and the sudden swerve to the nearside kerb and sharp braking.

The overtake going down a steep downhill at speed and again braking and pulling as close as possible to the near side kerb.

The bus overtakes to pull in swiftly at the bus stop 20 yards ahead.

What's your favorite???

:twisted:
Mark1978

Re: Most Annoying and Potentially Dangerous Motoring Manoeuv

Post by Mark1978 »

Quite simply the looking straight at you at a junction and then pulling out anyway. People do that to me all the time, on the bike and in the car. So much so that I'm pretty much expecting them to do it.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Mark1978 wrote:Quite simply the looking straight at you at a junction and then pulling out anyway. People do that to me all the time, on the bike and in the car. So much so that I'm pretty much expecting them to do it.

Yeah you've made eye contact so naturally you are going to give way :?
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

I agree and to add insult to injury, even though the other person is in the wrong, they glare at you! :?
karlt

Post by karlt »

Reversing out of driveways.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Swerving around all over the place, without giving anyone a warning, including but not limited to, pulling out from parked position, parking, turning into a junction, turning out of a junction, swerving around a roundabout.

This is usually called not indicating.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Driver getting into car. The dangers from motor vehicles increase exponentially after this initial manoeuvre has been completed :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 »

How about the door opening trap? Which they do to cyclists, but not HGV's.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

For me its the driver that suddenly decides to do a U-turn either for the hell of it or because they've got impatient waiting in a queue. London cabs are notorious for doing it usually with an arm out of the drivers window to tell people they haven't looked out for them.
Last edited by TonyR on 8 Jan 2016, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mark1978 wrote:Quite simply the looking straight at you at a junction and then pulling out anyway. People do that to me all the time, on the bike and in the car. So much so that I'm pretty much expecting them to do it.

^^ This. It really does incentivise me not to fix my currently-screeching front brake.

But an honourable mention for undertaking a vehicle waiting to turn right by swerving left into a mandatory cycle or cycle/bus lane (or even mounting a kerb onto a cycle track sometimes) without looking.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Moving off from the kerb without indicating (or looking probably, but who knows?), ususally as I'm about level with the driver's door.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

another suggestion: putting on the seatbelt while driving. an acrobatic manouvre indeed that needs both hands.

I don't give a *** if someione else is not belted up, they endanger only themselves. But it should not be possible (interlock!) to belt up while driving.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Dean

Post by Dean »

The parallel overtake, the left hook, the close pass, overtaking at roundabouts, overtaking immediately prior to a queue or a junction, going through red lights... How long do you have?

One that really annoys me is where a driver coming the other way decides to park on your side of the road, and won't wait until you've passed, so you end up with two vehicles trying to occupy the same space. If you're lucky they'll indicate. It just combines a lack of awareness with pure selfishness. If they've bothered to look and have spotted you in the first place. It's a manoeuvre which traps the cyclist, cos none of your options will necessarily get you out of that situation.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not motoring, but pedestrians.

They cross the road looking and listening, but fail to see a brightly clad cyclist whizzing along. Maybe they do see the cyclist, but think that a cyclist only goes at walking pace.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Mick F wrote:Not motoring, but pedestrians.

They cross the road looking and listening, but fail to see a brightly clad cyclist whizzing along. Maybe they do see the cyclist, but think that a cyclist only goes at walking pace.

I haven't had much action with regard to peds of recent though still feeling the effects (& will always) of one running out right into my path a couple of years ago. In some ways peds are more dangerous because they are more unpredictable than people in motors.
Could it be said that people on bikes are actually the most predictable of all road user groups and that includes equestrians?
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 9 Jan 2016, 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.