Vanmoof Boncho - reinventing the cape

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Vanmoof Boncho - reinventing the cape

Post by tatanab »

Si wrote:I wonder how it moved when you try to signal....does it dump water straight down the opposite leg?
Maybe the Boncho would, but an old cape does not. I am talking about a large and heavy cape that sits around you and as noted above tends to collect water as a pool in the middle at the front. To give an approximation of a hand signal, dip the shoulder, drop arm under the side and you can get as far as your elbow sticking out.

The problem with modern capes (including Carradice by looking at the measurements on their site) is that they are too small and too light. This is why people complain about them flying up at the back (not long enough to sit on if needed) and cracking like a sail in a wind (too light). To keep legs dry with a cape I add good old fashioned spats http://www.xxcycle.com/vaude-bike-gaite ... 80,,en.php I would use jacket and over trousers for commuting but a cape for long rides.

A hood never works for me. Fixed hoods restrict peripheral vison, free hoods are ok but both varieties are too noisy in the rain for me. I prefer a waterproof old flat cap.

The Boncho I think will suffer through being lifted to easily in a wind.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I used to use a heavy(ish) yellow pvc cape back in the 80s. If I recall correctly, they were a lot longer back to front and deeper down the sides than the modern capes I have seen. I used to hook my thumb loops over the brake levers but this didn't seem to interfere with steering or braking. I did this primarily to enable down-tube gear shifting. I put an eyelet in the back just above the edge and used a shoelace and crocodile clip to hold the back of the cape over the saddle, clipped to the carrier or luggage. It was enough to hold the cape in place in most winds but not enough to hold it if I dismounted. I do remember pools of water collecting between the arms behind the handlebars that I used to knock out over the front. Never used a hood - sometimes used a hat.

I thought they were brilliant at the time but I can't imagine myself feeling safe using one now with wind and flapping material and close passes by motorists. Not that I remember them as flapping much.

I do like the look of this one but it looks too short and high to me.

Did anyone notice the front and rear lights built into the extended top tube in the video?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
mjr

Post by mjr »

freiston wrote:Did anyone notice the front and rear lights built into the extended top tube in the video?

Also by Vanmoof? http://www.gizmag.com/vanmoof-10-electr ... ike/27888/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Oh yeah! I just took a look at their website - some groovy stuff - if I had money to burn/won the lottery, I'd buy one of those for the collection.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Giant have done bikes with lights (and locks) built into the frame too.

I've seen a few Vanmoof bikes and whilst the concepts were interesting, the actual bikes I've seen have been let down by cheap parts being fitted. Doesn't stop them from trying charge and arm and a leg for them though.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hipster stuff. They might be just behind the curve now though, as that trend is petering out. Maybe they'll fall into a happy hipster/urban practical overlap.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Hipster stuff. They might be just behind the curve now though, as that trend is petering out. Maybe they'll fall into a happy hipster/urban practical overlap.

With the state of the weather in the UK ATM,I'm sure there's a market for these :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden