Do I get 10/10 for keeping my cool?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Do I get 10/10 for keeping my cool?

Post by 661-Pete »

This didn't actually happen 'on the road' but it is about cycling: I was loading up the panniers in the supermarket car park (Waitrose if you please!) when this middle-aged geezer - a complete stranger - comes up behind me and taps me on the elbow (something I detest as a rule). Well, anyway, he starts off with "that's a nice bit of old iron you've got there" (it was my shopping hack, which I've had for nearly 30 years). I mumble something about "yes, it's seen good service for many years". Then he comes up with "you must be very brave, cycling on those roads, I wouldn't dream of it, far too dangerous".

I felt like retorting "Christ, this is Burgess Hill, not bloody Hyde Park Corner". But I didn't. I merely shrugged and rode off. As I was leaving the car park, I found myself wishing I'd come out with "Get back in your ****ing car, drive home and read your ****ing Daily Mail".

But I didn't say either of these things. Am I a baddie just for thinking about uttering those profanities?

I think maybe I'm on a short fuse today. Are others of you in a similar vein?

But I also think I have a point to make. There's still too much public perception of the 'dangers' in cycling.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Re: Do I get 10/10 for keeping my cool?

Post by Si »

Problem is that a cyclists' view, based on experience, is very much different to the non-cyclists' view, based upon the media, and tittle-tattle. I wouldn't get mad at him - I dont think for one minute that he's saying it to annoy you, he's just describing the world as he sees it....bet he'd love to give it a go if it wasn't for his fear (or if he had a _good_ cycle path network).

The question is: how do you persuade him that it's much safer than he thinks, when you've only got a couple of minutes to do so? Pretty impossible....so best to just say "no, it's much safer than people think.....plus it's tremendous fun...you don't know what you are missing!" and give him a business card with your local learn to ride / beginners group contact details on it. Then ride off smiling and whistling a happy tune.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My usual response is to say that the roads aren't dangerous at all,that is a minority of idiotic drivers who make them that way for everyone not just cyclists,and sometimes followed by,buy a bike and some courage,you'll feel better for it.
It's the one's(few)that start off like that,then go into the usual cyclist/RLJing diatribe that irrtiate,my response to those is that I see more cars RLJing than I ever do cyclists :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Water off a duck's back. I have always surprised people in a variety of ways all my life so have always attracted negative comments. 99% of them unfounded as you found.

Still it's good to rant. My 2nd favourite pastime[emoji6]
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A lot of non cyclists are pretty ignorant about it. Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly. There are things I would have said in response to educate and inform. Depends on your mood I guess, but its always a good advert for us cyclists to keep our cool, and be friendly and courteous.
On RLJing, a chestnut to beat us with for a lot of motorists. You often see motorists go through reds just as the lights change but I dont think I have ever seen a motorist stopped at a light, then when its clear but still red blatantly drive off through the red light. But I have seen lots of idiots on bikes do it and thats what annoys motorists and gets the rest of us a bad name.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly.
Yes.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: I dont think I have ever seen a motorist stopped at a light, then when its clear but still red blatantly drive off through the red light.

Al

Not even at those temporary lights for road works?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm just glad you have survived the mean streets.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

al_yrpal wrote:A lot of non cyclists are pretty ignorant about it. Sounds like he was just trying to be friendly. There are things I would have said in response to educate and inform. Depends on your mood I guess, but its always a good advert for us cyclists to keep our cool, and be friendly and courteous.
On RLJing, a chestnut to beat us with for a lot of motorists. You often see motorists go through reds just as the lights change but I dont think I have ever seen a motorist stopped at a light, then when its clear but still red blatantly drive off through the red light. But I have seen lots of idiots on bikes do it and thats what annoys motorists and gets the rest of us a bad name.

Al

I saw just that last weekend - motorist stopped at a red, then just took off through it.

More often I see them just ignore reds which have been there for a while (i.e. long after amber gambling) - or go because the "other" road they can see has gone red (for a three way light that can make comic results).

BUT yesterday - I was approaching a T junction from the cycle facility that makes it a crossroads for me, and there are roadworks, meaning three way lights a fair way back along each arm.
I joined the end of the stream of traffic from my right to go straight over - and that is where most of the works are. The oncoming car started to move, then stopped and waited for me to clear the restriction.

I was somewhat shocked tbh - gave him/her a big thumbs up as I went past, but I've not come across that level of sense before...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1
I saw a Landrover driver do it once.
A pedestrian had pressed the button for the little green man presumably out of habit on an empty ish main road. As I approached the crossing with the lights going from green to amber, the ld driver pulled out from a side street on my left and overtook me. The ped had by this time crossed the road. By the time he/she was at my side the lights had gone red. Mr/Mrs Highallmighty proceeded to cautiously crawl across the crossing and then belted it when they were clear on the other side. Unfortunately the battery in my cam at the time had long since perished.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:I think maybe I'm on a short fuse today.

I think the man was simply being friendly/sociable ( but I don't know the intonation of his conversation ). If you'd broke into a few minutes chat who knows you may have been enlightened. I've met older people who've said similar yet in conversation it turns out they cycled big distances when younger and on heavy three speeds. Lives change and people get other interests and priorities and their cycling days go behind them and maybe their perception of danger changes. The roads are busier and carry faster/faster accelerating vehicles( I find this on large multilane roundabouts crossing exits where some drivers appear to aim at you and speed up! ). I can lose my temper with dangerous car drivers when on the bike and in my car but I don't want to get to the state where a tap on my shoulder can trigger my temper....... so perhaps you got it spot on that you think you must be on a short fuse today. As I say, I like most can lose my rag but seeing the helmet cam vigilante videos reminds me of what I could become. I've worked with keen cyclists who'd come in exploding with rage over drivers or comments people had said and it puts me off what two wheels were about...... freedom, quitetude, fitness and low running costs amongst many. They were far from the chilled out character the bike should make you feel and it just brought the bike into the world I want to escape from, road rage, laziness and selfishness. I feel being convivial, enthusiastic and cheery towards passers by and pedestrians is a better advert for the benefits of the bike, I'm sure we'd all agree dangerous drivers are a different proposition though.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lots of people think it's dangerous. Next time put in a good word for cycling.

'Did you know that the benefits outweigh the risks, and cyclists live longer?'
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Just a lonely oldish man who maybe cycled when younger and remembered the camaradie? happens to many people when they get older, like a chat? happens also if you have a motorbike? you get 0/10 for understanding - you will get old one of these days
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Vorpal wrote:Lots of people think it's dangerous. Next time put in a good word for cycling.

[emoji106]Aaaahhhhhh. Let me breath in the fresh air. It's like having a new nose. Wise stuff here Vorpal. Thank you....b
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Lots of people think it's dangerous. Next time put in a good word for cycling.

Aaaahhhhhh. Let me breath in the fresh air. It's like having a new nose. Wise stuff here Vorpal. Thank you....b

8) thanks, but I have to admit I cheated ;)

I use to teach Bikeability, and had lots of concerned parents, asking me about the dangers of cycling :shock: So I thought about it to have a few answers at the ready.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom