London - Finsbury Park to Blackfriars

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Onyerbike1979

London - Finsbury Park to Blackfriars

Post by Onyerbike1979 »

HI folks,

New here so I hope I am in the correct part of the forum for my query.

So I have decided to opt in for the bike to work scheme, all part of a general lifestyle change.

Since I moved to London three years ago I have heard lots about cyclists getting knocked over, killed etc.
I obviously do not want this happening to me.

So I was wondering if anyone here cycles from Green lanes/Finsbury Park to Blackfriars in the morning or close to Blackfriars.
If so would it be ok to shadow you for a week or two so I get used to cycling in the city, get to know my route, areas of congestion etc.

As part of this you will get the company of a fun Irish guy for your commute in the morn :)

thanks

A
drossall

Re: London - Finsbury Park to Blackfriars

Post by drossall »

If you don't get an answer, consider Cyclestreets. This offers shorter and quieter options.

I actually only ride from Finsbury Park to Angel (on a folder that I bring by train). I generally use the parallel Liverpool Road, which is more direct for me, and fine, but a club-mate who rides further into town uses the top end of that route, as do loads of other cyclists, and I've ridden it with him occasionally for a change. I've seen great groups of cyclists crossing the Pentonville Road/Claremont Square junction to carry on down that route.

Can't comment on the lower end, but the numbers suggest that there are routes in that direction that are good.

Hope this helps somewhat.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

get the cycling maps from transport for london tfl, show all the back routes, cycle lanes etc.

Check the bus routes too, 63 and 45 bus from kingX, one goes to farringdon the other blackfriars, I could be a good few years out of date but when the weather is like this etc and you dont fancy the bike...
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Onyerbike1979 wrote:HI folks,

New here so I hope I am in the correct part of the forum for my query.

So I have decided to opt in for the bike to work scheme, all part of a general lifestyle change.

Since I moved to London three years ago I have heard lots about cyclists getting knocked over, killed etc.

So I was wondering if anyone here cycles from Green lanes/Finsbury Park to Blackfriars in the morning or close to Blackfriars.
If so would it be ok to shadow you for a week or two so I get used to cycling in the city, get to know my route, areas of congestion etc.

As part of this you will get the company of a fun Irish guy for your commute in the morn :)

thanks

A

Can't help with the Bike Buddy I'm afraid but don't worry about the risk. Just stay away from big trucks and you'll be fine. About 10 cyclists die on London's roads every year, almost all from turning trucks, but that's out of over 200 million journeys a year so your risk is about as great as that of winning the lottery jackpot. And the exercise will do much more for your life expectancy than the traffic risk.

As for routes you might like to try teh Cycle Streets route planner which allows you to choose between the fastest and quietest routes. http://camden.cyclestreets.net/journey/
jardine

Post by jardine »

+1 for not letting the risk stress you out, and furthermore I'd counsel not to be in too much of a hurry. I see people putting themselves at horrendous risk going too close to 4-axle dumpers, scaffolding trucks, ready-mix cement lorries and other great killers of cyclists and think... they're on their way to work, man, what's the rush?

Hope you find a sweet route- I've not cycled around there for about 15 years. Shoreditch roundabout used to be so quiet on a Saturday morning you could go around the Old Street roundabout (before the addition of traffic lights, obvs) no-hands.
Onyerbike1979

Post by Onyerbike1979 »

Wow, awesome replies folks, thanks so much. Hope to pick up the bike before the weekend and try the route over the weekend to get used to it as until now I was a tube goer so not too familiar with life above the pavement so to speak. I used google maps for cycle route but will also look at those other suggestions too.
Im hoping that along the route that there will be enough cyclists that I can observe en route to the office.

In terms of gear, what are the essentials. Obviously I am going to buy reflective gear and helmet but in terms of locks, puncture repair etc what would you good people recommend.

Oh and this is going to sound odd but..........those of you that commute to work in the morn, what is your routine if I may be so nosy. We have great facilities in my new office, showers, lockers etc. Trying to figure out the best way here, leave towels in locker or pack a fresh one every day. Do you pack your work clothes into a bag for your commute? If so is there a bag you could recommend that big is enough and comfortable for this?

Again thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions so far, very much appreciated!!

Have a good day!

A
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Onyerbike1979 wrote:

Don't let the perceived risks get to you. Since moving to London (from Baile Atha Cliath) thirty years ago, I've cycled in London on a daily basis and never had a coming-together with another road user. As others have said, the health benefits far far outweigh any risk.

My advice would be give yourself plenty of time and start slowly. Good advice above on reccy'ing the route beforehand - you might want to get up very early on a Sunday because Sunday traffic is often worse in London than weekday traffic.

Familiarise yourself as much as you can with your route: do it on a Sunday, read the map again, cycle it again, study the map again. I'm currently living in temporary accommodation in West London, it's a whole new world for me out here and I've cut my 11 mile commute down from 50 mins to 40 mins by studying maps.google in the evening (I haven't got faster).

Don't try to beat the Tube times - that will come naturally once you are certain of your route and your fitness builds.

Don't try to cycle every day, start slowly and do a couple of days a week, then every second day, then every day but award yourself Friday "off" so you can go pubbing with your workmates. As your fitness builds you will eventually much prefer to cycle every day rather than endure public transport.

Buy a good U-lock and cable. Google videos on good locking practice: there is a skill in locking the bike to give scumbags the least opportunity.

The essentials for me, I would not cycle to the shops without: puncture kit and pump, lights, lock, waterproof jacket. Puncture kits these days are self-adhesive and a breeze to use. If your bike has quick release wheels you might prefer to carry a spare tube - bought from Decathlon they are only £1 each. When I lived in Dublin punctures were a daily occurrence, I've even had several in one day, fixing them was part of the joy. Back then I was able to fix one in minutes. These days tyres like the Schwable Marathon are very good and you can cycle all year without a puncture - but years of habit prevent me from cycling around the corner without carrying my kit.

In thirty years of commuting I have only ever been fortunate enough to work in one office with a shower. There, I left my towel and wash kit in a sports bag at my desk, drying the towel every day. In all other offices I would leave shoes and trousers in the office and cycle wearing cycling shorts and shoes, new t-shirt every day, and taking care to wear as little as possible over it - often just a windproof shell - to avoid or reduce sweating. I would always start the commute feeling too cold but knowing I would warm up. Oh, and leave a fleece, or coat, at work because if you want to go out at lunchtime you'll find your cycling windproof will be too cold.

Enjoy.
Onyerbike1979

Post by Onyerbike1979 »

Firstly, love the name, nice to see a bit of Gaelic!!

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate your input, very helpful. The plan is to cycle in to the office on Mon, Tue & Thur to start with as I have a course I am starting next Wed after work so not ideal to be cycling to that as it ends rather late and like you said there will always be post work beers on a Friday but it will be a great start to a healthier me!!

Going up to the bike shop at lunchtime today to pick out my new bike!Will let you guys know what I choose, just hope they have a big enough frame!!

I cant do Sunday as I have a hot date :D but I will spend Saturday getting used to the route and traffic and will look at several alternative routes too, but fully intend to take it slow to familiarise myself with it!!

Will keep you good folks posted on my progress and if I have any more questions!!

Go raibh maith agat as do chabhair,

A

ArMoRothair wrote:
Onyerbike1979 wrote:

Don't let the perceived risks get to you. Since moving to London (from Baile Atha Cliath) thirty years ago, I've cycled in London on a daily basis and never had a coming-together with another road user. As others have said, the health benefits far far outweigh any risk.

My advice would be give yourself plenty of time and start slowly. Good advice above on reccy'ing the route beforehand - you might want to get up very early on a Sunday because Sunday traffic is often worse in London than weekday traffic.

Familiarise yourself as much as you can with your route: do it on a Sunday, read the map again, cycle it again, study the map again. I'm currently living in temporary accommodation in West London, it's a whole new world for me out here and I've cut my 11 mile commute down from 50 mins to 40 mins by studying maps.google in the evening (I haven't got faster).

Don't try to beat the Tube times - that will come naturally once you are certain of your route and your fitness builds.

Don't try to cycle every day, start slowly and do a couple of days a week, then every second day, then every day but award yourself Friday "off" so you can go pubbing with your workmates. As your fitness builds you will eventually much prefer to cycle every day rather than endure public transport.

Buy a good U-lock and cable. Google videos on good locking practice: there is a skill in locking the bike to give scumbags the least opportunity.

The essentials for me, I would not cycle to the shops without: puncture kit and pump, lights, lock, waterproof jacket. Puncture kits these days are self-adhesive and a breeze to use. If your bike has quick release wheels you might prefer to carry a spare tube - bought from Decathlon they are only £1 each. When I lived in Dublin punctures were a daily occurrence, I've even had several in one day, fixing them was part of the joy. Back then I was able to fix one in minutes. These days tyres like the Schwable Marathon are very good and you can cycle all year without a puncture - but years of habit prevent me from cycling around the corner without carrying my kit.

In thirty years of commuting I have only ever been fortunate enough to work in one office with a shower. There, I left my towel and wash kit in a sports bag at my desk, drying the towel every day. In all other offices I would leave shoes and trousers in the office and cycle wearing cycling shorts and shoes, new t-shirt every day, and taking care to wear as little as possible over it - often just a windproof shell - to avoid or reduce sweating. I would always start the commute feeling too cold but knowing I would warm up. Oh, and leave a fleece, or coat, at work because if you want to go out at lunchtime you'll find your cycling windproof will be too cold.

Enjoy.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Onyerbike1979 wrote:Wow, awesome replies folks, thanks so much. Hope to pick up the bike before the weekend and try the route over the weekend to get used to it as until now I was a tube goer so not too familiar with life above the pavement so to speak. I used google maps for cycle route but will also look at those other suggestions too.
Im hoping that along the route that there will be enough cyclists that I can observe en route to the office.

Best to go out with a map easily to hand and just potter and explore a bit. You'll quickly find the best route options and shortcuts and learn the route to take. Maps on their own don't tell you about the road surface quality or parked cars for example.

In terms of gear, what are the essentials. Obviously I am going to buy reflective gear and helmet but in terms of locks, puncture repair etc what would you good people recommend.

A mobile phone. If you have a puncture or breakage in London its far better IME to just call a cab to go to home/work and do the repairs there in comfort than to do it on the street. For locks it depends where you are leaving it. By your desk is best and should need no locks. In a company secure bike park is next best when you'll just need a D-lock. If its on the streets then two different locks and a cable. Other than that and depending on your commute times and time of year get some good lights that are easily removed of either the see where you are going variety or the get yourself seen type. USB rechargeable ones are the best as you can charge them every day/week rather than worrying when the batteries might run out.

Oh and this is going to sound odd but..........those of you that commute to work in the morn, what is your routine if I may be so nosy. We have great facilities in my new office, showers, lockers etc. Trying to figure out the best way here, leave towels in locker or pack a fresh one every day. Do you pack your work clothes into a bag for your commute? If so is there a bag you could recommend that big is enough and comfortable for this?

Again thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions so far, very much appreciated!!

Have a good day!

A

Roll your clothes in a bag and invest in a small garment steamer to keep at work to drop any creases out. I keep a supply of clean clothes at work and cycle them at the weekend. The towels will easily last a week if you have cleaned yourself properly before you use them and hung them up to dry rather than festering in a damp heap.
1gunsalute

Post by 1gunsalute »

In terms of practicalities, maybe I'm lucky but my last few work places have all had pretty decent lockers/etc. Ideally you can keep a towel and wash-kit in your locker, and there's a radiator to dry them off during the day. Keep a suit at work and at the beginning of each week bring in a supply of shirts/etc. And as above, a fleece at your desk for winter lunchtimes.
Also in central London you will find plenty of shops just in case you have forgotten your knickers :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I leave a big D lock at work, so I don't have to carry it around with me. I've got a smaller/ lighter lock that I carry on the bike, if I want to stop off at a shop on the way home. I leave towel, wash kit, shoes and trousers at work and take in fresh underwear and a shirt each day. I also take my lunch and snacks and my laptop. This all fits in one or two small Altura Arran panniers that attach to the rack. I carry 2 spare tubes, a mini tool and tyre levers in a small pack under my saddle and a pump on the frame of my bike.

I take fresh trousers and towel in once a week.

Cycling Clothes - I wear dedicated cycling bottoms with a Helly Hansen vest and a bright Altura Night Vision cycling top. I also carry a waterproof attached to my rack.All this may cost quite a bit but consider how much you are saving by not having to buy an Oyster card for your commute.i commute 9 miles each way into the centre of Nottingham. My son lives in London and commutes by bike from Leytonstone to Chancery Lane everyday. He does similar to me, except he leaves his suit at work and uses a rucksack rather than panniers for shirt, underwear and laptop.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

All this talk about kit might put you off - or it might light your fire, it takes all sorts - but it's useful to remember you don't actually need special kit.

My commute at the moment is 11 miles and because I don't have a dedicated desk when I arrive - I'm going from site to site, meeting to meeting - I cycle in (believe it or not)....... ordinary clothes. :shock:

Cycle specific clothes would be more comfortable, but it isn't really a hardship. Keeping the number of layers down to a minimum, and wearing breathable stuff, controls the sweat.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Doing 5.5 miles each way for my previous job, I found it was just far enough to want to wear cycling gear, partly to have something to change out of if it was wet, and because the spray got to my work trousers. There was a shower, but I never used it, as it wasn't far enough to bother. I wore a work shirt under the cycling jacket, and changed the cycling trousers when I got in, leaving the jacket, trousers and ties at work for the week. I tried not to chase faster riders, so as not to arrive too hot and bothered, but it never worked :lol:

Now, I just do two or three miles on a folder, so I wear work clothes, although I usually wear a cycling jacket for comfort and its bright colours. No-one wears jackets and ties at the new place.

(Only) a few times, I've done the full 37 miles each way to the new place (on a "proper" bike). Then the shower at work really comes in useful. I can carry a change of clothes and lunch with me.

Both places have bike sheds, so I leave a U lock there.

I do carry a puncture kit and spare tube, plus a multitool, but in reality I'd probably walk or hop on a tube/train if it was anything bad. I go for tyres with Kevlar bands, and distance commuting is on a single speed (fixed) - keeping it simple is a traditional way of reducing scope for mechanical incidents. Very occasionally, there's nothing you can do with any reasonable number of tools. Recently, I broke a crank riding back to the office across London from a supplier, so I folded the bike and hopped on the Tube. Years ago, I got this puncture soon after setting out from the old place, so I walked the bike to the station and then home. Cycling is still more reliable than almost any other possible means.
Attachments
puncture_small.jpg
puncture_small.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 935 times
dsalmon01

Post by dsalmon01 »

Hi, I cycle from seven sisters to Victoria and my route is via green lanes and Blackfriars so happy to buddy up for a bit and even do a dummy run at the weekend. I've not ridden regularly for a good few months so this is a good excuse for me to get back in the habit, start losing some Christmas weight!

Lots of good advice here already, you'll soon know what's best for you but the best thing to do is to get on your new bike and ride!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

drossall wrote:I got this puncture soon after setting out from the old place

Wow. That's a proper puncture.