Cycling opportunity Keswick -Kendal

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Re: Cycling opportunity Keswick -Kendal

Post by TonyR »

mjr wrote:Closed roads are shown on http://www.roadworks.org for most councils and Highways England.

Which doesn't show anything for the A591 or Pooley Bridge despite them being problems for a couple of weeks at least now.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TonyR wrote:
mjr wrote:Closed roads are shown on http://www.roadworks.org for most councils and Highways England.

Which doesn't show anything for the A591 or Pooley Bridge despite them being problems for a couple of weeks at least now.

Maybe Cumbria isn't on there. Sorry - I can't check it from my mobile devices.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gaz wrote:
TonyR wrote:... more generally does anyone know of a map with all the closed roads in the Lakes for route planning purposes. ...

List here with a linked map towards the top of the page. Map requires MS Silverlight, I haven't viewed it myself.

I'll have a look at the map later - Silverlight won't run on mobile devices other than Windows ones AFAIK. Which is a bit shortsighted of Cumbria County Council given that these days mobile devices dominate web access.

EDIT: Had a look at the map and its totally incomprehensible. Its got X's to mark bridge closures but then some roads are in blue which no explanation of what it means - the whole of Ambleside is blue for example - and there is nothing obvious on the Thirlmere section of the A519, just either ends of it. Also why do people have to use rubbish like Microsoft's Silverlight? What is wrong with a good old standard Google maps mash up instead of something that is so painfully slow and clunky I gave up plus it doesn't work on mobile devices at all? Even Microsoft recommend against using it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

TonyR wrote:EDIT: Had a look at the map and its totally incomprehensible. Its got X's to mark bridge closures but then some roads are in blue which no explanation of what it means - the whole of Ambleside is blue for example - and there is nothing obvious on the Thirlmere section of the A519, just either ends of it. Also why do people have to use rubbish like Microsoft's Silverlight? What is wrong with a good old standard Google maps mash up instead of something that is so painfully slow and clunky I gave up plus it doesn't work on mobile devices at all? Even Microsoft recommend against using it.

Red lines are closed sections of road & blue are the corresponding diversions - you may need to switch an item off & on, by clicking on the list, to see which is the diversion relating to the closure. For a cyclist the red bits are the important ones.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It seems that cyclists will be allowed on the temporary road they are building:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35350221

From the article:
Following last month's storms, a section of the A591 was closed between Dunmail Raise, north of Grasmere, and Thirlmere.
Some bus services will be able to use the bypass as well as cyclists and pedestrians but it will not be open to cars, Cumbria County Council said.
It is expected to take three weeks to complete.
MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham »

If the temporary road is going to be an extension of the forest track that runs through the woods to the east of the A591 I'd be happy enough taking a touring bike or MTB along it but wouldn't really want to take a normal road bike, its fairly rough.
They mean what they say about the closure - two of us were running last week and knowing the road was closed had expected to still be able to negotiate the forest track on a day of poor weather when we didn't really want to be on the high fells. Arriving at a high fence across the track we were politely but firmly refused further access. We had a sensible discussion with them - it wasn't as if we could pop back a mile or two to a car and then drive round, we had a long way to run either way and had negotiated a lot of worse ground before reaching that point but they wouldn't relent and we ended up with a much longer run than we had originally planned.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

MarkGraham wrote:If the temporary road is going to be an extension of the forest track that runs through the woods to the east of the A591 I'd be happy enough taking a touring bike or MTB along it but wouldn't really want to take a normal road bike, its fairly rough.
They mean what they say about the closure - two of us were running last week and knowing the road was closed had expected to still be able to negotiate the forest track on a day of poor weather when we didn't really want to be on the high fells. Arriving at a high fence across the track we were politely but firmly refused further access. We had a sensible discussion with them - it wasn't as if we could pop back a mile or two to a car and then drive round, we had a long way to run either way and had negotiated a lot of worse ground before reaching that point but they wouldn't relent and we ended up with a much longer run than we had originally planned.

I gather they are doing the route so that buses (though not other vehicles) can get through, so it may be okay for road bikes with care.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Temporary road opens for buses on Feb 16th, cumbria.gov. No mention of use by cyclists/pedestrians in update.

Elsewhere on the site is a suggestion that the A591 will reopen in May.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

https://twitter.com/CumbriaCC/status/695278724254605312
can confirm pedestrians and cyclists can use the temporary road when it opens.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Bicycler wrote:https://twitter.com/CumbriaCC/status/695278724254605312
can confirm pedestrians and cyclists can use the temporary road when it opens.

Thanks for that. We'll be there at Easter if not before so that's very useful. :D
MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham »

Apparently the shuttle bus is now running and by usual lakes bus fare standards it seems very reasonable - I understand its £5 for an all day ticket between Keswick and Grasmere where you have to transfer to another bus. Its normally about £10 just to get one way to Dunmail from Keswick.
So has anyone been across by bike or on foot yet and can confirm its open to use for us? Its doesn't seem to be made clear on anything I can find.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

It showed the bus on TV last night running around the temporary route but didn't mention bikes or walkers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

A new article on a new route up there:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35625340

I hope they will continue to allow at least road bikes on the new stretch of temporary road, as the trail route is not likely to be a good enough surface if horses are using it as well.
But a new walkers' route from Dunmail Raise (not Rise, BBC) to Thirlmere would be good- previously there wasn't a good path.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Flinders wrote:A new article on a new route up there:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35625340

I hope they will continue to allow at least road bikes on the new stretch of temporary road, as the trail route is not likely to be a good enough surface if horses are using it as well.
But a new walkers' route from Dunmail Raise (not Rise, BBC) to Thirlmere would be good- previously there wasn't a good path.

So is the temp stretch now open for cyclists? I'm planning a lakes foray next weekend.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cycleruk wrote:It showed the bus on TV last night running around the temporary route but didn't mention bikes or walkers.

The Border News footage showed a cyclist on the road in front of the bus.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info