Appreciation

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Re: Appreciation

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:He should have kept his hands on the bars (see highway code).
Even when changing gear? Plenty of bikes still have down-tube shifters - including one of mine.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"As I overtook the cyclist, he stuck his right hand out and gave me a big "thumbs -up". "

He should have kept his hands on the bars (see highway code).

There is a significant danger of such a gesture being misunderstood, maybe as a V-sign.

The suggestion that simply obeying the law is praiseworthy and should be rewarded is quite wrong. No need to communicate. Just obey the law and avoid eye contact.

An unusual approach, but if it works for you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The suggestion that simply obeying the law is praiseworthy and should be rewarded is quite wrong. No need to communicate. Just obey the law and avoid eye contact.

Cripes. I bet you're fun at a party. ;-)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cyril Haearn wrote: No need to communicate. Just obey the law and avoid eye contact.
:shock: Think I might have cycled past you recently.

A bit of "give and take" helps everyone. Recently I was cycling up a hill and a van coming the other way pulled in to let me pass. As we were a little way away and it might have taken 10-15 seconds for me to reach and pass him and I was at a wider spot, I stopped and waved him down the hill. As he drove alongside he wound the van window down and said in a friendly way "I stopped so you wouldn't have to start on the hill". Slightly embarrassed I thanked him very much and said he might have waited for "quite a few seconds". However he would not be the first driver who has waited patiently for me to climb a hill - and I'm a tortoise if it's steep. Similarly on minor roads I have slowed into gateways or similarly to let cars past that have patiently been following me. There are plenty of considerate drivers, but I just wish they all were.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

jan19 wrote:, using the B2139 in West Sussex.
Jan
I've not cycled that road, but having driven along it a number of times it's not one I would wish to cycle on; it's hilly, undulating, busy, relatively narrow and traffic travels fast. No wonder your patience was appreciated.
I don't peddle bikes.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

jan19 wrote: The car behind me followed my line and gave the cyclist a wide, safe berth.

Most drivers behave like sheep.

If you went on the far side of the road it is a fair guess that the following driving didn't consider Highway Code Rule 163 before choosing their passing distance, I imagine they just followed you.

Your good example could have saved this cyclist from injury for that reason alone.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I know that road very well, though it's many years since I last cycled along it. The western end, probably better known to cyclists as Houghton Hill, is a ferocious climb going west (well, I found it ferocious at any rate!). But further east, from the Amberley museum into Storrington, it does indeed become a very fast undulating road for motorists, and not really ideal for inexperienced cyclists. As I said, I have cycled it - when I was younger and fitter!

I drive this road frequently, and I suspect nearly every time I do, I think what a fun road it would be to cycle, if it weren't for the traffic! Massive respect to anyone who cycles Houghton Hill - yes, I think ferocious is a good description.

As for any possibility of me "misunderstanding" the cyclist's gesture. I didn't. It was a thumbs up. Absolutely no question about it - and I appreciated it! :wink:

A very happy new year - and safe cycling - to everyone.

Jan :D
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

jan19 wrote:I was driving home from my Mum's, using the B2139 in West Sussex.
Ah, part of the unofficial Worthing bypass :roll: Definitely not fun to cycle on at most times (like the bypass continuation eastwards along the A283).
Surprised that the cyclist gave enough room for cars to overtake whilst staying on the correct side of the double whites - I wouldn't have...
"42"
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:
jan19 wrote:I was driving home from my Mum's, using the B2139 in West Sussex.
Ah, part of the unofficial Worthing bypass :roll: Definitely not fun to cycle on at most times (like the bypass continuation eastwards along the A283).
It's only a "bypass" if you travel parallel to the coast otherwise it isn't. There are just so many motor vehicles now that it seems nearly every road is now a "bypass" for somewhere. :(
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tonyf33 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:"As I overtook the cyclist, he stuck his right hand out and gave me a big "thumbs -up". "

There is a significant danger of such a gesture being misunderstood, maybe as a V-sign.

Completely disagree, there's a vast difference between an instinctive throw of the arm and a subtle raising of the hand or thumbs up, and who throws the Vs these days?
As for avoiding eye contact, why exactly?

avoid eye contact: because it is very often interpreted as a challenge. I prefer the drivers to be unsure what I am thinking and doing. Maybe the drivers in Germany are quite different from those in the UK (irony ends ;-))

over here certainly most drivers are criminal
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:over here certainly most drivers are criminal
Isn't that rather an offensive generalisation? I take it that by 'over here' you mean in Germany. Would you post that on a German forum?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If you're giving them the finger whilst eyeballing them then maybe, but a cheery wave or a thumbs up while smiling at them? Doubtful.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

We are not robots and treating other humans as humans with respect helps. As long as what he did was safe then it was perfectly fine. My former trainer who taught me to be an instructor, told me he taught people to think and apply/bend rules as long as safety was not compromised ( i.e. move to the left in a cycle lane if no cyclist is using it and a large truck is coming towards you and you need more road space). Your advice of blindly following the rules with no thought is not always best.

Having said that, one cannot dispute your advice is accurate, but rules with the human equation and always emphasising safety is always better than blindly following rules with regards to driving. Obviously I only convey this advice to driving only.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Today, on a long stretch of single-track road, I slowed down when we came to a passing place and indicated with my arm that I was letting the driver behind overtake. He did so, safely and considerately, and showed his appreciation with a double flash of his four-way indies. Not strictly legal, but definitely polite and contributing to goodness all round.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:over here certainly most drivers are criminal
Isn't that rather an offensive generalisation? I take it that by 'over here' you mean in Germany. Would you post that on a German forum?

No need to post it over here - the local newspaper reported black on white that "all" (or nearly all) ignore STOP signs. One is tempted to conclude that they can not read.

Are drivers in britain or elsewhere better? How many ignore STOP signs, speed limits etc etc? How many obey the law?

I actually went to observe the drivers at the STOP sign. Even when traffic forced them to wait, almost none stopped. Thus my third conclusion: most have trouble starting and stopping.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies