(Not so) Useless police

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Re: Useless police

Post by TonyR »

Bigdummysteve wrote:That was my thinking, AT no point have I said I'm going to inflate any claim!

Ermm............

Bigdummysteve wrote:The bike was fine apart from a few scratches but I'm considering contacting his insurance company and asking for the frame to be replaced or resprayed just so he has some financial penalty in increased premiums.

A new frame or respray for a few scratches seem rather inflated to me. Anyway, how did he scratch the frame with a few bumps from behind? I can see how he might have damaged the rear wheel or mudguard or rack but not the frame.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've got to agree here. My aggression has always been very controlled and used to great advantage throughout my sporting exploits...However...

...I find this anger difficult to measure when my children come under threat of any kind. Particularly when the perpetrator is meant to be an adult, behaving in a reasonable manner.

Don't stay angry too long Steve. Personally I find it draining if I don't move on. That said I hope contacting and writing your grievances in an email or via this forum helps to dissipate your feelings.

Besides, you will have some nice Canadian toys in a few months time [emoji6]
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

TonyR wrote:
Bigdummysteve wrote:That was my thinking, AT no point have I said I'm going to inflate any claim!

Ermm............

Bigdummysteve wrote:The bike was fine apart from a few scratches but I'm considering contacting his insurance company and asking for the frame to be replaced or resprayed just so he has some financial penalty in increased premiums.

A new frame or respray for a few scratches seem rather inflated to me. Anyway, how did he scratch the frame with a few bumps from behind? I can see how he might have damaged the rear wheel or mudguard or rack but not the frame.

There is a clue in in my user name, the frame of a bigdummy wraps around the rear wheel with the crossmember being at around axel height. An impact hard enough to shunt a 15 stone adult and two children two feet down the road with the brakes on is certainly enough to to damage this small tube. I'm well within my rights to ask for my powder coated frame to be restored to its condition prior to the accident, both cosmetic and structural. I'm quite sure that if a driver damaged your car in a similar way you would want the panel repaired AND an assurance that its integrity had not been compromised.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

And remember that if you'd been occupant of a car you'd need to claim compensation for whiplash injury as well. Currently running at about 3k for a minor knock from what I hear.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

TonyR wrote:
Bigdummysteve wrote:
TonyR wrote:Do not do the insurance claim you are suggesting unless there is real damage to be repaired otherwise it is fraud and you could be in very hot water.

Have you thought about going to the local press with the story? It's the sort of story they usually love to run and if it includes the police inaction could make them change their mind.

The bike is only scratched and the footboards marked, not thinking of financial gain it just seems like the only way getting some small punishment, if only financial. I think I'll try reporting this higher up.

Yes, well, insurance is there to repair the damage not punish the other party. It would be very unwise to try to inflict a financial penalty through an inflated insurance claim especially having announced your motives on a public forum.

The bike was scratched and may need a paint job to fix. This is a legitimate claim. Once a claim is made the insurance premium will increase which is some small punishment. There is nothing whatsoever in what the OP has said that supports your scurrilous claim that he may intend to commit fraud against the insurance company.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Update!

First I must apologise to Thames valley police, I received a phone call today and they had traced the previous owner but could not trace the new registered owner. So full marks for effort they did try and said they would have take it further if they could trace the vehicles whereabouts. Moral of the story? Report those incidents, the people on the desk might give the impression that they don't care but in the background real effort might be going on. The long sentence handed down to the joker who swerved at cyclists recently shows its worth reporting these things.
gaz

Re: Useful police

Post by gaz »

Good news. Time to edit the thread title?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Bigdummysteve wrote:Update!

First I must apologise to Thames valley police, I received a phone call today and they had traced the previous owner but could not trace the new registered owner. So full marks for effort they did try and said they would have take it further if they could trace the vehicles whereabouts. Moral of the story? Report those incidents, the people on the desk might give the impression that they don't care but in the background real effort might be going on. The long sentence handed down to the joker who swerved at cyclists recently shows its worth reporting these things.

It's a bit odd that they can't trace the new owner. That suggests that the vehicle isn't taxed/insured, which they could be done for if caught..........I hope the police have that van in their sights.
hamster

Re: (Not so) Useless police

Post by hamster »

Not odd at all!
Either the owner has moved house with no forwarding address, or never bothered to re-register.
I had two years of problems with a car I sold - the new owner hadn't re-registered and picked up a load of tickets. It culminated in two cops coming to my door at 11pm after finding it abandoned in a ditch.

I played the whole game again with the previous owner of my house who hadn't bothered to update his V5.

Here's hoping that a routine number plate camera finds your man. :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bigdummysteve wrote:Update!

A fair deduction. Good work Steve...b
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

This charmer will get caught sooner or later
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

greyingbeard wrote:This charmer will get caught sooner or later

But it's the problems s/he will cause between now and then.
On another thread I mentioned we have such a 'charmer/joker' locally who's been driving his car for around 3 years without insurance,MOT or VED,he's been reported on numerous occasions,it was only because a neghbour had called the police out on another matter,that a PCSO caught said 'charmer/joker' when he drove up the avenue whilst the officer was there that he was caught.

The efficiency of the police is extremely poor IMHO,I'm putting it down to severe undermanning and low morale caused by government cuts.

Meanwhile other criminals are on the loose going undetected.

EDIT:- IMHO there's far more illegal motorists on the roads than we think,and without the need to display a VED disc it's more than likely driving without insurance an MOT will be on the increase.I'm sure the authorities can find a better way of detection tham the odd ANPR equipped vehicle or random chance stops,to catch what are very serious criminals.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jan 2016, 9:48am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Wow! Never heard of someone bumping a cyclist from behind...and you were stationary? Purposely? That seems like madness. Still,out on the road there are some nutters. I no longer commute at commuting times(business hours/school runs),but know it can be chaos out there. Just t'other day had reason to pass by school when it was time for mums/dads to drop off children: absolute chaos and pandemonium,doors opening and closing,cars double parked,queues of cars,buggies everywhere,dogs on leases,double prams being pushed now on road,now on pavement. Add low sun and wet roads...crackers