(Not so) Useless police

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bigdummysteve

(Not so) Useless police

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Around a week ago I was taking my son and his friend to school on the dummy, about 50 metres from a junction a large van came up behind us revving his engine loudly. There was not enough room for him to pass safely so I carried on the the junction on the busy road and stopped. The van then gave us a bump from behind! There was a pause then he bumped us again twice in quick succession. After checking they were alright I let off a bit of steam at the driver, later after a bit of thought I reported him to the police, normally I would just put it down to poor driving but the pause between the two impacts made me think there was either intent or criminally careless driving. The police despite my protests have decided to take no action as no one was injured, this was less than a week after a cyclist was killed by a HGV in Banbury.

My point of view is that there was either intent or serious negligence, he had been following us for a while and was well aware that there children on the bike, why will the police take no action? The bike was fine apart from a few scratches but I'm considering contacting his insurance company and asking for the frame to be replaced or resprayed just so he has some financial penalty in increased premiums. Very disappointed in the police attitude especially so soon after a fatal accident not one mile away in the same week.
Last edited by Bigdummysteve on 29 Jan 2016, 11:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Useless police

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm sorry to hear of this Steve. I too take my 6 YOD to and from school on the Big Dummy every day. I can't imagine how angry you must have been. I've had 2 zero-contact incidents and that was upsetting enough let alone a seemingly deliberate nudge.

I can't understand why the police aren't interested. I hope you get the result you are after...b
MikeF

Re: Useless police

Post by MikeF »

Did you supply details eg number plate, make etc.to police? Try contacting your police commissioner and/or IPCC perhaps?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

This thread may be worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69901
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

MikeF wrote:Did you supply details eg number plate, make etc.to police? Try contacting your police commissioner and/or IPCC perhaps?

Yes I supplied a photo of the van and made it known that other parents were witnesses and willing to provide statements, I may well contact the police commissioner. Coming less than a week after a fatal accident less than a mile away I would have thought they would have been eager to be seen as proactive. In my view it's the same as threatening behaviour you don't need to actually hurt someone before its criminal. On my own I might have gotten myself into trouble, when someone threatens your child's safety emotions run high but you have to bite your tongue and trust the police to take action.
Unfortunately I think going to his insurance company will be the only option for any comeback. The police were sympathetic to my argument but we're only looking at it as a RTA, not at the intent or the possible outcome. Luckily as a motorbike rider in the past I always keep the brakes on at junctions otherwise it could have been much more serious.

Sadly it seems reading CTC reports that even when a cyclist is killed blame is apportioned automatically to the cyclists, so I shouldn't be surprised by their lack of interest.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

gaz wrote:This thread may be worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69901

Thanks, a good read which makes me think it's not worth pursuing....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sounds like road rage? cant be dismissed by the cops as no one was injured? complain to the the top cop?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pull a gun in the street - it's alright officer, no one was hurt....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

If he deliberately hit you/act of rage it was 'dangerous driving'. And if he hit you twice it might occur to even your most useless Police Officer that it wasn't accidental.

Clearly there are Police Officers out there who do not believe that there are dangerous nutjobs behind the wheels of motor vehicles who will on occasions deliberately drive their vehicles into vulnerable road users in acts of rage.

A case for this driver to be interviewed under caution to see just what he might or might not say. Even more of a case for the Police to do this if he has past form for violent crime.
I should coco.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Do not do the insurance claim you are suggesting unless there is real damage to be repaired otherwise it is fraud and you could be in very hot water.

Have you thought about going to the local press with the story? It's the sort of story they usually love to run and if it includes the police inaction could make them change their mind.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

TonyR wrote:Do not do the insurance claim you are suggesting unless there is real damage to be repaired otherwise it is fraud and you could be in very hot water.

Have you thought about going to the local press with the story? It's the sort of story they usually love to run and if it includes the police inaction could make them change their mind.

The bike is only scratched and the footboards marked, not thinking of financial gain it just seems like the only way getting some small punishment, if only financial. I think I'll try reporting this higher up.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Bigdummysteve wrote:
TonyR wrote:Do not do the insurance claim you are suggesting unless there is real damage to be repaired otherwise it is fraud and you could be in very hot water.

The bike is only scratched and the footboards marked, not thinking of financial gain it just seems like the only way getting some small punishment, if only financial. I think I'll try reporting this higher up.

Yes, well, insurance is there to repair the damage not punish the other party. It would be very unwise to try to inflict a financial penalty through an inflated insurance claim especially having announced your motives on a public forum.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Take the story to the local press, especially if the van was "liveried"
beardy

Post by beardy »

Bigdummysteve wrote:

You can bet your life that he hasnt reported it to his insurance company. The value of the claim that you make will not be important but it will flag up the fact that this driver is a greater risk and his premiums will probably increase. So just claiming for a pot of touch up paint would suffice. A vehicle inspection would probably be in order, claim and see if the insurance company agree. :wink:
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

beardy wrote:
Bigdummysteve wrote:

You can bet your life that he hasnt reported it to his insurance company. The value of the claim that you make will not be important but it will flag up the fact that this driver is a greater risk and his premiums will probably increase. So just claiming for a pot of touch up paint would suffice. A vehicle inspection would probably be in order, claim and see if the insurance company agree. :wink:

That was my thinking, AT no point have I said I'm going to inflate any claim! The fact is that his dangerous driving has damaged my bike, while insurance claims might not be there to punish the other driver, poor driving and accidents lead to increased premiums. There is a slim chance this might make him think twice before before putting the lives of two six year old boys at risk again. Like any parent when someone threatens your child I get very very angry,when this appears to be a deliberate act more so.