Is it just a state of mind?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Stradageek

Is it just a state of mind?

Post by Stradageek »

My wife and I have been edging towards becoming car free. We both commute by bike (my wife every day, me a couple of days a week - its a 34 mile round trip!) and we now have hack folders and trailers that mean we do all our shopping by bike. The car is reduced to occasional weekend visits to distant family and a couple of days a week in my car pool.

The interesting change has been in our state of mind.

We went to cycle the short trip to a youth club on a cold and wet Thursday night without even considering the car as an option. We both found ourselves remarking how off-putting we now found the prospect of the hassle, cold and aggro of driving and parking the car. We arrived at our destination warm and enlivened and looked forward to the ride home - and maybe a glass of wine.

I think I need to spread the word!
axel_knutt

Re: Is it just a state of mind?

Post by axel_knutt »

I was fuming when the DVLA took my licence, but by the time I got it back five months later I'd git used to doing without the car, so I never put it back on the road. It stood on the drive rusting away for nine years until I scrapped it in 2013.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche