safety advice for commuter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: safety advice for commuter

Post by eileithyia »

Welcome.

Good advice from Si.
I have a right turn to make, starts off being 2 lanes of traffic, becomes 3 as the road widens and the right turn lane is factored in.

Sometimes traffic is stopped and heavy enough that end up just filtering my way through stopped traffic.

Other times i not only have to convey my intent to a following car/bus but also move across into the second lane and be able to see that is free..... lots of looking over shoulder, positive strong signal (not flap hand down around thigh area) ensure following vehicle is slowing, move across lane and check second lane.... phew.....

I have been in situations, where i have been signalling my intent well before the junction, but just had over taking cars keep coming past..... so either i am left with a last minute maneouvre or just have to pull over as you have done... not often though.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
on6702

Post by on6702 »

I just wanted to thank everyone, especially Si and Beardy, who responded with some really useful guidance and advice.
I appreciate it and will be putting it to good use, in particular the proper over the shoulder look behind.
As a car driver I know that I would immediately be thinking of slowing down and expecting a manouevre in front of me if I saw a cyclist making a meaningful look behind.

On a related note, how useful do people find these bicycle rear mirror things?
Are they a waste of time or actually useful for getting an idea of what's going on behind you?

Oliver
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

My best advice is if you have a choice of route find the safest . My route when I drive it is a country B road and some rat runs . I avoid them cycling as they are relatively fast , busy and a bit narrow for the traffic. I have tried several routes over the years and my current route is a mile longer than my original route but safer, quieter and more pleasant
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

on6702 wrote:On a related note, how useful do people find these bicycle rear mirror things?
Are they a waste of time or actually useful for getting an idea of what's going on behind you?

It's a personal choice, of course, but I won't ride without one. I don't like surprises.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mistik-ka wrote:
on6702 wrote:On a related note, how useful do people find these bicycle rear mirror things?

It's a personal choice, of course, but I won't ride without one. I don't like surprises.

Just don't use the mirror in place of a look back. A look back both gives you a clearer view of what is going on behind you but also sends a signal to drivers.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

The 2007 version of Cyclecraft (the one most of us on here probably own) in 'like new' condition for £2.50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclecraft-Th ... 3641.l6368
In case that sells, one in 'very good' condition for £2.59 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyclecraft-th ... 3641.l6368
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

PH wrote:Also by John Franklin in conjunction with the Institute for Advanced Motorists in the book How to be a Better Cyclist.
http://www.iam.org.uk/cyclists/insight-cyclists

The advice is pretty much the same as in Cyclecraft, some of the explanations are not so detailed, and IMO it's better for it. The diagrams are very clear.
It also gives me great pleasure to show the disenters that I'm following advice from a well respected motoring organisation :)

My £2.81 copy arrived today. It's SO well presented and laid out. My 13 YOD will eat it for breakfast. Wether it'll be comprehended is another story. So much is gained from experience. Dare I say from being a driver too. There's a great diagram of 'turning right' for the OP too.

Thanks for the recommendation. And thank you for letting me hitch a ride on this thread...b
on6702

Post by on6702 »

Enjoy, sounds like a good book which is worth hunting down.