Commuting - is a rucksack always going to be sweaty?!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Commuting - is a rucksack always going to be sweaty?!

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got panniers after thinking rucksacks are not good for commuting with change of clothes, laptop, work shoes, etc. After my bike got nicked I used my hiking rucksack with my new bike for a couple of weeks until I could get round to buying and fitting a rack. Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. My sack is a running one at 32 litres capacity and very light (not much padding). It was so comfortable for my half hour commute that it took about 2 months before I bought the rack, just before I actually needed it for a holiday.

Truth is a decent rucksack can be very stable and moves with you even when fully loaded, which mine rarely is. My alternative is a single Ortlieb classic back roller. Less capacity and the number of times the ql hook bar has lost a screw because it was overloaded. Personally I prefer my rucksack. Helps that it's tall and thin with excellent compression to clamp contents against my back. Sweating is the only issue but my sack wicks through the fabrics of the sack contact areas so isn't too bad. Besides I'm probably sweaty from.having to wear a hard shell cag in the heavy rain anyway.

This is personal choice so get over yourself, panniers or sack is up to you. Try them and go with the best for you. At least you'll most likely already have a rucksack.so you can just.get out there commuting from the moment you get your bike.
coffeedrinkerUK

Post by coffeedrinkerUK »

Id say a rucksack is fine, they sit square on your back as opposed to a courier bag. Get one with a waist and chest strap and as has been said, watch the weight but you'd probably do that whatever you were doing with it. Yes you get a bit sweaty, even more so in the summer. Pannier bags are great.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:Carrying a rucksack on your back on a bike, riding on road on a MTB with the original knobbly tyres, having the saddle too low, being in the wrong gear. All these things say to me "that guy hasnt a clue".

I'm so glad you said 'guy'. Otherwise I might well be considered clue-less. I'm surprised you didn't say anything about my front suspension. :wink:

p.s. for the OP, sweaty backs is one reason that all of my bikes have racks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Abu Milhem

Post by Abu Milhem »

I have been an enthusiastic single/ dual pannierist ever since I bought a bike. Rucksacks are fine things in the right place; astride a bicycle isn't one of them in my world.
Balancing a lightly loaded pannier on a rack is easy - just mount the lock on t'other side of the rack. Works very well for me and two panniers work fine with it when shopping or touring. A quick release saddle bag almost works but is an awkward load for a pedestrian.

Most of all I try to avoid carrying anything additional to tools, pump, lights (all dynamo) which all live on the bike - secure parking at both ends of commute and the phone, wallet, keys, work access card and glasses are all carried on my person - easy in winter, difficult in summer. Bike faff is something I have never grown used to over the last 48 years.
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Hiya All,

I got this sorted as well, in a round about way!
My Osprey rucksack got nicked in London a few weeks back :?
Fortunately nothing of value nicked apart from some old prescription sunglasses
(1st time that's happened to me! lesson learn't careful when out in London tourist area!)

Anyways, was looking a replacement rucksay and came across this clever thing!
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... ack-47640/

It has stressed wiring that keeps a gap between your back and the rucksack.

On the bikes it works! There are only 3 small sweat patches where the foam padding sits on your back.

The only other issue I found was the extra weight is noticeable on your backside as you cycle along.

For short commutes only, not day long heavy carrying! 8)

Regards
Martin
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't mind the sweat, as its also running off my head too.
Yep, the rear will notice, short commutes no worry.

I had a Campari (two actually) sack 40 years ago and they used tensioned (threaded tube) mesh bands, knock spots of Karrimor of the day where the bands were tensioned by string and the frame would rub your back :? IIRC.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.