Is this a record?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johncarnie

Is this a record?

Post by johncarnie »

The Daily Wail is running 3 anti-cycling pieces today! The ignorance of the Highway Code shown by many does not surprise me, but some of the comments scare me both as a cyclist and motorist!
Phil Fouracre

Re: Is this a record?

Post by Phil Fouracre »

just seen this, tell us more, can't get to buy a copy!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

do remember that by clicking on these links you are quite literally giving them money ie paying people to put out more cycle-hating propaganda. The term is "click-bait", and if you click, you've been hooked
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Quite right, the OP should have copied-and-pasted the offending articles rather than posting links to them. But that's rather a hassle, especially with all the imagery embedded in the articles.

With regard to the pedestrian collision, I really think there is a case for 'jaywalking' laws like they have in the USA. But I suppose I'd be outvoted by the outraged General Public, on that one....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

For those who want to see the video independently of the Daily Fail website, here it is:
[youtube]2UB_4OjXz8o[/youtube]

There is a more balanced (well - more cyclist-friendly, naturally) article in Cycling Weekly.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

profpointy wrote:do remember that by clicking on these links you are quite literally giving them money ie paying people to put out more cycle-hating propaganda. The term is "click-bait", and if you click, you've been hooked

sorry - did not think - I run an adblock on my browser
irc

Post by irc »

Mainly the cyclist at fault IMO. Before he started undertaking the car the bus was already signalling to stop. So he had the bus overtake to think about. At the same time the ped was already crossing the road so a potential conflict was obvious. Correct options IMO would be either slow down and go behind the car with the dashcam or stay on left and be prepared to stop if needed.

Hard to say but it looks like the cyclist never saw the ped until a few feet in front of the car as he suddenly changes direction towards him at that point.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Regardless of who is at fault I am in complete disbelief that the cyclist gets back on his bike and puts his glasses back on etc and doesn't even have it in himself to go and assist the pedestrian who is clearly hurt...

...and the name of the nail salon over the road? 'Divine Peace'. What a way humanity has come huh?
irc

Post by irc »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Regardless of who is at fault I am in complete disbelief that the cyclist gets back on his bike and puts his glasses back on etc and doesn't even have it in himself to go and assist the pedestrian who is clearly hurt....

Yes, strange priorities. Check the bike but not the person you hit.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Regardless of who is at fault I am in complete disbelief that the cyclist gets back on his bike and puts his glasses back on etc and doesn't even have it in himself to go and assist the pedestrian who is clearly hurt...

...and the name of the nail salon over the road? 'Divine Peace'. What a way humanity has come huh?

Maybe the cyclist was rushing to hospital to his see his wife and daughter after they had been hit when cycling by a white van overtaking them whilst they were turning right.

Or something else of that ilk.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
syklist

Post by syklist »

As you all might have noticed the car has just passed through a pelican/zebra crossing at the start of the video. Check the road markings they look identical to these.

Perhaps the outcome for all concerned would have been better if the pedestrian had walked another 30m or so to the crossing, pressed the button, waited for the green man to appear and then crossed the road in a safe and controlled manner.

Both the cyclist and the pedestrian are in a hurry. However I lay the blame with the pedestrian who has chosen to put themselves in a dangerous situation when a much safer alternative was easily available.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Well, here we go! Re; ped video, surely cyclist in the wrong! Too fast for the conditions, you had to anticipate the ped doing what he did. Where's the vulnerable party logic gone? If the position was reversed, with a car ploughing into cyclist changing direction in full view, what would the response have been?
Taxi vid, again! He's indicating left, cyclist straight up the inside, what other result would anyone expect?
Blimey! I never thought I was a potential DM reader :-(
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
syklist

Post by syklist »

Yes the cyclist could have done something to mitigate the outcome. However, the cyclist has to be on the road whereas the pedestrian does not.
beardy

Post by beardy »

The pedestrian was crossing the road, lane by lane. He didnt enter the cycle lane without checking first.
He had already dealt with the car (filming) who was in the lane that he was crossing.
The cyclist undertook the car in the separate cycle lane but then changed lanes into the lane that already had a pedestrian in it, in order to hit the pedestrian.
Personally I cant work out why he didnt just go behind the pedestrian, some sort of "brain freeze" I guess.