Is today “Peak Idiot”?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
grani

Re: Is today “Peak Idiot”?

Post by grani »

Tom Richardson wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote: There will always be a risk, whatever you do, try and assess and mitigate as much as possible at all times, whatever your mode of transport. -(

Unfortunately most people (about 60% according to a survey I saw recently) feel that the best way to mitigate the risk is to use a car instead of cycling.

Especially since it is apparently their own fault if they are abused or threatened while cycling.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

grani wrote:
Tom Richardson wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote: There will always be a risk, whatever you do, try and assess and mitigate as much as possible at all times, whatever your mode of transport. -(

Unfortunately most people (about 60% according to a survey I saw recently) feel that the best way to mitigate the risk is to use a car instead of cycling.

Especially since it is apparently their own fault if they are abused or threatened while cycling.

All very depressing, really don't know how you change things. No amount of cycling 'initiatives', govt schemes etc will really change the fact that most people will never cycle, for reasons of safety, laziness, whatever.Thinking about cyclists being an 'out group', had an interesting experience today; pleasant enough ride on local main road, average traffic, sensible overtakes, what could possibly go wrong? Car overtook, a bit close, followed by another, even closer(is it a competition?) then one, seriously close. Gave him an 'energetic' (single finger) wave, interestingly, driver, three cars back reciprocated, in my direction. Did he feel the need to stick up for his potentially offended comrade? Was he showing solidarity against a threatening cyclist? I'll never know, or, for that matter, care :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyclist are an always will be a vulnerable class who are easy targets for those who should never be allowed to drive at all :!:

I would like some of the (if they cycle at all :?: ) folk here to follow me on their bike on my normal ride (in front if they feel up to it :? ) and then tell me that all the abuse and wrong side of road / no hand on wheel texters were because of their inability to read the conditions and keep themselves safe :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Phil Fouracre wrote: No amount of cycling 'initiatives', govt schemes etc will really change the fact that most people will never cycle, for reasons of safety, laziness, whatever.
Maybe squeezing out the motorist as Boris is doing might changing things? Lord Sugar is already complaining - that's a good sign :) . If people realise cycling is quicker etc than motor travel, some may conclude that sitting in a vehicle is not the best use of their time. We're reaching the stage where there are more motor vehicles than space to put them.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

MikeF wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote: No amount of cycling 'initiatives', govt schemes etc will really change the fact that most people will never cycle, for reasons of safety, laziness, whatever.
Maybe squeezing out the motorist as Boris is doing might changing things? Lord Sugar is already complaining - that's a good sign :) . If people realise cycling is quicker etc than motor travel, some may conclude that sitting in a vehicle is not the best use of their time. We're reaching the stage where there are more motor vehicles than space to put them.

Not sure that this isn't one of the reasons that 'motorists hate cyclist' already. Spent a lot of time recently overtaking lines of stationary traffic, and none of them look very happy :-) whether it's general traffic levels, or road works, seems to cause them inordinate levels of frustration, that they really want to take out on someone!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Well, the evening ride home after this post featured a wonderful full moon, and not one but two motorists were so carefully hanging back I had to wave them through.

Not a single problem since, other than freezing cold and soaking wet tonight.

So I reckon peak idiot has indeed been passed.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I had two perfect overtakes yesterday by an oil tanker and by a HGV from Barry Ives (of Essex) haulage, the latter of which I emailed to pass on praise of their driver for a bob on overtake in every respect. They've done cycle awareness training for all their drivers. Out of all the drivers I encountered I only had one that got a bit close.
Maybe time of day has an impact on the idiocy quotient
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm sure time of day makes a difference. Friday for me seemed a good day for drivers as far as I was concerned and roads seemed much busier than usual; all sensible overtakes and some very wide. :)
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.