Is today “Peak Idiot”?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roubaixtuesday

Is today “Peak Idiot”?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

There’s something about darkening mornings which worsens behaviour.

Today I had
- First emergency stop. A motorist (with a defective light) clearly saw me but decided to turn right across me regardless
- Second emergency stop. Presented by a milk float on the wrong side of the road coming straight at me having cut the corner
- First close overtake (motorist with defective rear light)
- Second, this time *very* close overtake. I caught up with this one and had a full and frank exchange of views. I was presented with the following excuses: You were too far out; I’m a cyclist too; I was over the white light so it was OK.

Normally the ride is a stress reliever. Not today.

Let's hope it was "peak idiot".
NUKe

Re: Is today “Peak Idiot”?

Post by NUKe »

You just get days and people like that, fortunately if you are of the right temperament they are few and far between,
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

I think you may find 'peak idiot' to be a 'sawtooth' affair shown as a graph,but with an ever upward trend.
At least that's been my experience in recent years,the worst thing being that the idiots tend to now somehow feel justified in scaring the living daylights out of any others they happen across,even to the point with some motorists being a game they play to bolster their own sick existence.
It has to be said it's mainly cyclists they pick on as they:-
a)don't think they'll be caught either by the cyclist(too slow)or the police(just deny everything as it's one persons word against another)
b)they justify their actions by seeing cyclists through their own twisted logic as non people,who don't pay their way on the roads
c)they're the sort of people who just don't give a monkeys for anyone else anyway and are now given free rein due to a complete lack of policing.

Thankfully they're in the minority,though one misjudgement on either the cyclist or the idiot's part and we know who'll be the one wrapped in bandages or even an oak veneered overcoat.
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Nov 2015, 9:51am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NUKe wrote:You just get days and people like that, fortunately if you are of the right temperament they are few and far between,

Are you saying if the cyclist is of the 'wrong' temperament s/he attracts idiot drivers?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Think he's probably saying, you can tolerate all this crap, if you're in a good mood!!!!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
NUKe wrote:You just get days and people like that, fortunately if you are of the right temperament they are few and far between,

Are you saying if the cyclist is of the 'wrong' temperament s/he attracts idiot drivers?

I nearly knee jerked on that too :mrgreen:

I think and I will give them the benefit of the doubt, that it was just not well phrased, I am sure they meant -

"You just get days and people like that," and those "days are few and far between", "fortunately" you "are of the right temperament" to chill and carry with the rest of the day, tomorrows another day. :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

There's a side junction I go past on my daily commute where very frequently vehicles pull out turning right in front of me, such that they would hit me if I maintained my speed and course. Even cyclists have pulled out in front of me there. I think it is because they are turning out of a one-way street and there isn't a centreline in the two-way street they are turning into, so they briefly overlook the possibility of people using the road in the opposite direction to them. Since I use it every day, I've given up getting annoyed with them. I just anticipate it now, I slow down and get ready for it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Take what I said which ever way you want.

And yes I was suggesting that if a cyclists is of the wrong temperament then they will attract idiot drivers, and invite conflict.

I wasn't referring to the original poster in anyway whatsoever I have no idea of his temperament . more referring to my own experience and that of a colleague , we ride the same route at roughly the same time. He's hot headed carries a camera and seem to have an incident every other day. I am a bit more laid back and see a lot less or perhaps just tolerate a lot more. I get the odd day and occasional idiot but since I have mellowed a bit, I personally have a lot less arguments.

There is a lot to be said for knowing your cycle craft, and lifes a lot easier if you assume drivers are idiots prone to mistakes and ride defensively for your own safety. Common courtesy is often sadly lacking among the new breed of born again cyclists. No I am not victim blaming but 90 percent of the videos you see on the internet whilst the drivers may be in the wrong there is usually bad cycling with it. I can see I'll end up in minority of one here. Blaming cyclists But hey I am wearing my flame proof suit.
Last edited by NUKe on 25 Nov 2015, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'll keep my trap shut.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup, got to go with this one! Same old, same old, tolerance all round works wonders. Just as an aside had a friend who used to rant and rave about traffic, while driving! She had a numer of 'road rage' incidents, I sympathised, until I travelled with her one day; scared the xxxx out of me, and I'm not easily scared.
Back to bikes, I agree about a lot of the helmet cam footage, often wonder what the point is and why some people feel the need. You might justify it by having had incidents, but, is a lot of the conflict necessary? Again, as you said, ride 'properly' and, defensively, just as you shroud drive as well.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Well, *obviously* I'm a highly tolerant person who always rides and drives defensively. Doesn't everyone?

Seriously, it's interesting that my defensive riding (ie not in the gutter) was actually cited by the close overtaker as justification for the close pass.

I don't buy the suggestion that drivers are getting worse. It's a long time since anything has been thrown at me from a moving car, for instance, but that has happened in the past. Also, if you read anything on the history of the CTC, driver behaviour has long been a big issue.

I do agree that on occasion, cyclists can react aggressively and unhelpfully to minor transgressions from motorists or other road users. I think it sometimes comes from a siege mentality borne of vulnerability.

Anyway, off now to cycle home through the dark and drizzle. Hopefully back to the normal post-work de-stress.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

BrianFox wrote:I do agree that on occasion, cyclists can react aggressively and unhelpfully to minor transgressions from motorists or other road users. I think it sometimes comes from a siege mentality borne of vulnerability.

My desire for revenge/retribution/straightening-that-%@&%!!-out :evil: fluctuates in direct proportion to how frightened I have been by the incident. If I see a threat developing I can, and generally do, take action to minimize the risk. When danger pounces and startles me I am less likely to react with good sense.

This is not to suggest that I have brought a close pass or SMIDSY incident on myself, or that the perpetrator should be pronounced innocent. It is a recognition that for me fear :shock: is not a good motivator.
Sleeper Service

Post by Sleeper Service »

It depends.

I think you can cut down on danger by riding defensively. Although Lord Sugar's recent comments went down like a lead balloon with the cycling community he does have a point - we can be morally and legally right, but that's scant comfort if you're in a wheelchair or a pine box.

That said, you can be careful as you like and you're still going to run into - although hopefully not literally - the odd complete idiot on the road. Like the woman doing her lipstick in the rear view mirror I had to take a sharp detour round this morning or the meanderthal who was waving back and forth across the dual purpose cycleway this morning, smartphone glued to their nose.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Agree with a lot of points made here. There will always be a risk, whatever you do, try and assess and mitigate as much as possible at all times, whatever your mode of transport. SMIDSY are a classic example, loads of cyclists complaining about this, yet I've had a couple recently driving my van, 2.5 m high, 2 wide and 6 long, so what the hell was the excuse?. More worryingly, if they didn't see me, they would definitely never notice a bike :-(
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Phil Fouracre wrote: There will always be a risk, whatever you do, try and assess and mitigate as much as possible at all times, whatever your mode of transport. -(

Unfortunately most people (about 60% according to a survey I saw recently) feel that the best way to mitigate the risk is to use a car instead of cycling.