Drugged drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nez

Re: Drugged drivers

Post by nez »

Si wrote:During the summer, when people are driving around with windows open, I expect to be passed by a couple of cars per journey with a thick miasma of weed issuing forth, some times more often. That's across brum city centre - so probably quite different to some areas, however I would say that it represents a much too common occurrence.
yes I've noticed the same thing passing queuing traffic
sapperadam

Post by sapperadam »

Tacascarow wrote:
That doesn't mean you have been drinking whilst driving.
& this doesn't mean those tested where under the influence.
All it means is traces of a drug was found in their saliva.

Quite the opposite, unlike with alcohol for it to be in your saliva means that you have taken it recently. Why do you think they test your hair for regular drugs tests? It's because traces can be found for a lot longer, 28 days, well after it's left your system and is no longer affecting you.

As for lots of people doing it, I worked for a small electrical company about 11 years ago, half of them regularly smoked cannabis while driving. I was even forced to sit in a van with one of them once, despite my asking him not to he was still smoking while driving. Did I report it? When I left after a few months I did, was much done? I doubt it, of them was the owners son in law. Upshot is, I'm glad police are able to test for drugs now.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

sapperadam wrote:
Tacascarow wrote:

Quite the opposite, unlike with alcohol for it to be in your saliva means that you have taken it recently. Why do you think they test your hair for regular drugs tests? It's because traces can be found for a lot longer, 28 days, well after it's left your system and is no longer affecting you.

As for lots of people doing it, I worked for a small electrical company about 11 years ago, half of them regularly smoked cannabis while driving. I was even forced to sit in a van with one of them once, despite my asking him not to he was still smoking while driving. Did I report it? When I left after a few months I did, was much done? I doubt it, of them was the owners son in law. Upshot is, I'm glad police are able to test for drugs now.
I'm not up on the science but I have read that traces of cannabis stay in the system for a long time, Much longer than alcohol. I also don't know how sensitive the testing equipment is & how small a trace they can detect.
I merely pointed out that finding traces in saliva is not indicative of drug driving any more than a drug sniffer dog being interested in a student returning from Amsterdam is indicative of drug smuggling.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Si wrote:During the summer, when people are driving around with windows open, I expect to be passed by a couple of cars per journey with a thick miasma of weed issuing forth, some times more often. That's across brum city centre - so probably quite different to some areas, however I would say that it represents a much too common occurrence.

IIRC the biggest problem here in Norway is the use and misuse of prescription drugs and illegal drugs that are ingested orally. So aroma free drugs.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
sapperadam

Post by sapperadam »

Tacascarow wrote:
sapperadam wrote:
Tacascarow wrote:

I'm not up on the science but I have read that traces of cannabis stay in the system for a long time, Much longer than alcohol. I also don't know how sensitive the testing equipment is & how small a trace they can detect.
I merely pointed out that finding traces in saliva is not indicative of drug driving any more than a drug sniffer dog being interested in a student returning from Amsterdam is indicative of drug smuggling.

But neither is a roadside breath test an indication of drink driving, it is merely a tool which enables the Police to

1. Identify those who are more likely than not to have taken drugs/drunk alcohol etc.
2. Take a potentially dangerous driver off the road
3. Expend further resources to prove whether a person is genuinely guilty or not by taking "evidential samples"
4. Charge illegal acts as required thereby (hopefully) more permanently removing dangerous drivers from the road

It must also be noted that these drugs tests can also detect certain legal prescription drugs and there are limits for them too. I can't remember all of them but morphine is on that list as needing to take it has recently taken a friend of mine off the road.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

sapperadam wrote:
But neither is a roadside breath test an indication of drink driving, it is merely a tool which enables the Police to

1. Identify those who are more likely than not to have taken drugs/drunk alcohol etc.
2. Take a potentially dangerous driver off the road
3. Expend further resources to prove whether a person is genuinely guilty or not by taking "evidential samples"
4. Charge illegal acts as required thereby (hopefully) more permanently removing dangerous drivers from the road

It must also be noted that these drugs tests can also detect certain legal prescription drugs and there are limits for them too. I can't remember all of them but morphine is on that list as needing to take it has recently taken a friend of mine off the road.
I agree. But we don't have legal limits for cannabis or other 'illegal' drugs whilst driving as far as I'm aware, & saying anyone who smokes cannabis & drives a car (not at the same time) are 'potentially dangerous' discriminates against a very large minority of society & isn't true.
I know people who smoke cannabis regularly & they are (generally) some of the safest drivers you are likely to meet.
But I bet everyone of them would fail this test.
This in my humble opinion has nothing to do with peoples abilities to drive under the influence but a continuation of this societies 'war on drugs' which fails hopelessly on all counts.
If driving under the influence of cannabis is that dangerous then Amsterdam would be a no go area for pedestrians & cyclists would it not?