Carry ID

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
profpointy

Re: Carry ID

Post by profpointy »

Although this is a sad case, though in another sense it sounds like the gentleman died of natural causes whilst out in the fresh air on activity he loved, so maybe when the call comes, it's not such a bad way.

But, this not being identified for a day or two being a reason to carry id - well, not sure worrying about carrying id on the unlikely chance of dropping down dead is high on my list of concerns as I go about my daily life, whether out for a walk (in the mountains maybe), or cycling, or popping to the shops / pub. Fair enough people with allergies or what not, but I think we need a sense of proportion.

If I pop to the shops for a pint of milk say, should I really worry about what happens if I don't make it home to the extent I have to carry id?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

profpointy wrote:If I pop to the shops for a pint of milk say, should I really worry about what happens if I don't make it home to the extent I have to carry id?
I wouldn't worry about that because someone will recognise you. I'm often out with nothing other than the clothes I stand up in and a quid in my pocket for two pints of milk.

I could be fifty miles from home on my bike. Just a card with info on it is fine I reckon. If you pop your clogs, the powers that be will go through your pockets in the hope of identifying you, and it wouldn't take The Artful Dodger to find my card.
Mick F. Cornwall
sisavedbygrace

Post by sisavedbygrace »

Great idea, I always carry my bank card, but like the idea it quick and easy to find and will use this for my rides as well in future

Richard A Thackeray wrote:We had this discussion a while ago at work (local Hospital)

An ED Nurse, a couple of Paramedics & myself

The opinions were

1. the USB/memory-stick types aren't viable, as many Ambulance Services & NHS Trusts are loathe to upload unknown/unverified date (even with the security they have anyway)

2. The bracelets can be overlooked, particularly the rubberised/nylon one, as it can be dismissed as a charity band

My suggestion gained approval (& it's what I already use anyway) these; http://www.armydogtags.co.uk/classic-military-2

They're properly stamped, not engraved (as per pet-tags)
Mine have my
Name
3 x phone numbers (wife, home, parents)
NHS Number (different to a Hospital number, & country wide)
'Organ Donor' (ie; keep me 'alive', until I'm 'harvested')
NKA (No Known Allergies)

Cost?, £6.99

I also have one of the SOS Talisman necklaces, but that may be awkward to open If someone had slippery (my blood?, which will mar the information) hands (Dog-tags will wipe)

TrevA wrote:I can an old British Cycling membership card. They send you a new one every year. It has your Name and address on it. I once lost mine and someoine found it, who rang British Cycling who then contacted me. I explained that it was last year's so I didn't need it back, but it got sent back to me anyway.

There's also an old one (or copied) in my jersey pockets, if only to assuage anyone who may need information in the event of a RTC
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Mick F wrote:Just a card with info on it is fine I reckon. If you pop your clogs, the powers that be will go through your pockets in the hope of identifying you, and it wouldn't take The Artful Dodger to find my card.

They do indeed

Paramedics, Police (if first at scene), & occasionally ED staff will perform wallet/purse/pocket/handbag surgery to try & find any ID
Photo ID is best, if you just carry a card, as for various reasons, you (the unknown) might be carrying a relatives bank cards

The British Cycling membership card has space for a photograph, can't answer for CTC

I won't bother carrying my old English Athletics (or Fell Runners Association) card, as there's no address/photo space
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I said, my card has my name, address, home phone number, blood group, NI number, NOK name, and mobile number.
Home made, typed and laminated.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Don't hand your old driving licence in when you change it under the 10 year rule. Mine lives in a small neoprene pouch. I add a fiver if going out on the road. Job done.