Carry ID

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Carry ID

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
TrevA wrote:I have a special cycling wallet with just this card and some cash in it. I don't want to carry around all of my loyalty cards, etc, and i don't want my best wallet to get all sweaty. I actually keep my cycling wallet in a plastic food bag to stop it getting sweaty, but occassionally forget to put it back in the bag.

Snap :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Psamathe wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...
"Are you allergic to anything" ? Yeh zinc oxide plaster.................wake up oh..............they used a plaster :?
Most medics use micropore tape nowadays.

I was thinking more of medications (where the effects could be a bit more serious).

Ian

Met...well overtook.... :)........after being overtaken :? a paramedic..............I thought I swallowed (sucked in) a wasp but felt ok a bit later, I am allergic to insect bites but over the past 30 years the effects have wained.
Said I just swallowed a wasp and she replied I am a parramedic :) Do you carry a sumthing pen? No I said, not a chat up line :lol:

I actually should carry a medic ID card or tag as I have no spleen and treatment in a accident might be different................
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Unfortunately (or fortunately in the context of this thread :wink: ) I have a reasonably complex cardiac complaint.

So I wear a MedicAlert necklace everyday of my life. By putting it on in the morning, I never forget to take ID with me. Simple. :D

As a slight aside I was pleased recently when my teenage son did a basic Football Association learn to coach type course which included a brief introduction to First Aid. It was emphasised that you should always check if the patient has any form of Medical ID on them, and MedicAlert was one of several examples shown.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Of course. I thought the implication was paramedics might be trained in getting into phones to find such info anyway.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

We had this discussion a while ago at work (local Hospital)

An ED Nurse, a couple of Paramedics & myself

The opinions were

1. the USB/memory-stick types aren't viable, as many Ambulance Services & NHS Trusts are loathe to upload unknown/unverified date (even with the security they have anyway)

2. The bracelets can be overlooked, particularly the rubberised/nylon one, as it can be dismissed as a charity band

My suggestion gained approval (& it's what I already use anyway) these; http://www.armydogtags.co.uk/classic-military-2

They're properly stamped, not engraved (as per pet-tags)
Mine have my
Name
3 x phone numbers (wife, home, parents)
NHS Number (different to a Hospital number, & country wide)
'Organ Donor' (ie; keep me 'alive', until I'm 'harvested')
NKA (No Known Allergies)

Cost?, £6.99

I also have one of the SOS Talisman necklaces, but that may be awkward to open If someone had slippery (my blood?, which will mar the information) hands (Dog-tags will wipe)

TrevA wrote:I can an old British Cycling membership card. They send you a new one every year. It has your Name and address on it. I once lost mine and someoine found it, who rang British Cycling who then contacted me. I explained that it was last year's so I didn't need it back, but it got sent back to me anyway.

There's also an old one (or copied) in my jersey pockets, if only to assuage anyone who may need information in the event of a RTC
Last edited by Richard A Thackeray on 23 Nov 2015, 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I have dog tags
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Valbrona wrote:Most people carry phones with contacts on.

Massive red herring!

It is extremely helpful.....

If:
1. you can unequivocally connect the phone with the individual
2. The phone is charged
3. The phone has not been damaged
4. The phone is not locked
5. You are familiar with the phone model and how to unlock
6. You know the access code

Phones are fraught with difficulties

Unless the ICE information is directly dislayed on the lock screen (with the security issues that this introduces) phones are by far the least effective way of communicating personal data
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Richard A Thackeray wrote:
1. the USB/memory-stick types aren't viable, as many Ambulanace Services & NHS Trusts are loathe to upload unknown/unverified date (even with the security they have anyway)

Most Trusts have disabled USB ports on their computers unless you use a dedicated and authorised "safestick" or similar
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I'm allergic to penicillin. I carry a card that says this.
However, when involved years ago with an NHS committe, an ambulance chap told me they'd take no notice of that anyway - if they thought I needed it, they'd give it, and deal with any consequences as they arose. :shock:

Mind you, the number of times I've been prescribed the stuff by doctors who couldn't be bothered to read my records (in paper days it was written in red on the front cover of the records by a helpful nurse, but doctors still missed it)......I lost count years ago. After the last allergic reaction when I was about 14 which put me in bed for a week, I have always pointed it out to anyone prescribing anything, and always check with the pharmacist before taking anything as doctors have still got it wrong in the past, even hospital nurses and doctors not realising that one particular antibiotic was of the penicillin type (apparently it's name didn't end in 'illin' so that made the mistake perfectly reasonable, according to the hospital). Fortunately pharmacists seem to be more competent. :roll:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Most people carry phones with contacts on.

Massive red herring!

It is extremely helpful.....

If:
1. you can unequivocally connect the phone with the individual
2. The phone is charged
3. The phone has not been damaged
4. The phone is not locked
5. You are familiar with the phone model and how to unlock
6. You know the access code

Phones are fraught with difficulties

Unless the ICE information is directly dislayed on the lock screen (with the security issues that this introduces) phones are by far the least effective way of communicating personal data

iPhones are more than easy to get the medical contact info (without training). The screen that prompts you to enter the unlock code has a "Emergency" link you can touch without entering any security - and that will display the info the owner has enabled to be shown. And I bet more of those who would find such info useful will know it is there and how to do it.

Don't know about Android but I bet they have something equivalent.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Flinders wrote:...I have always pointed it out to anyone prescribing anything, and always check with the pharmacist before taking anything as doctors have still got it wrong in the past, even hospital nurses and doctors not realising that one particular antibiotic was of the penicillin type (apparently it's name didn't end in 'illin' so that made the mistake perfectly reasonable, according to the hospital). Fortunately pharmacists seem to be more competent. :roll:

I only get prescribed drugs rarely, and I probably being way paranoid, but when I have the prescription I always 1st note down what it is for, dose, etc. (as the pharmacy does not give it back). So then when I get the pills I can double check I've got the pills/strength that was prescribed. Then when I get home I lookup the pills on the internet, check side effects, normal dose (range), etc. before I take them.

Probably a bit paranoid, but 'tis what I do.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 24 Nov 2015, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

landsurfer wrote:Why don't I have a phone .... If I'm injured I wont be able to use it will I ? ...

Genius logic.

What if you are in a hedgerow with your leg bone sticking out of your leg?
I should coco.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Without me fishing on the net why or is it normal to have two dog tags :?:
IanW

Post by IanW »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Without me fishing on the net why or is it normal to have two dog tags :?:

Took just 2 seconds ...

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/the-history-of-dog-tags-how-old-do-you-think-the-idea-is.html
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:
Flinders wrote:...I have always pointed it out to anyone prescribing anything, and always check with the pharmacist before taking anything as doctors have still got it wrong in the past, even hospital nurses and doctors not realising that one particular antibiotic was of the penicillin type (apparently it's name didn't end in 'illin' so that made the mistake perfectly reasonable, according to the hospital). Fortunately pharmacists seem to be more competent. :roll:

I only get prescribed drugs rarely, and I probably being way paranoid, but when I have the prescription I always 1st note down what it is for, dose, etc. (as the pharmacy does not give it back). So then when I get the pills I can double check I've got the pills/strength that was prescribed. Then when I get home I lookup the pills on the internet, check side effects, normal dose (range), etc. before I take them.

Probably a bit paranoid, but 'tis what I do.

Ian

You're very wise, I think, not paranoid. So long as you remember that stated side effects are often very rare*, but as you aren't the panic-y type I'd assume you do.

* these days some drugs leaflets do actually give you actual stats, which is good. And you should always get a leaflet (though I know that doesn't always happen).