Carry ID

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Carry ID

Post by Psamathe »

barrym wrote:
loch eck steve wrote:.... and if its got a sercurity lock on it neither can anybody else either !

For info, Android 5 and above has an option for a message on the lock screen. Mine has "If found please call *my home number*".

I suspect most smartphones have similar functionality these days. Mine has a system where you can input medical info and "release" some of that to users before any unlock code is entered (emergency contact, blood group, allergies, etc.). I would assume that all ambulance/medical staff are aware of how to get hold of such info from the different types of phone.

But as others have said, phones can get broken.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:I always carry my driving licence around. I'm guessing, if all else fails, the DVLA will be more ready to release contact details to police or paramedics, than the banks.

Likewise. But I carry it more by accident than deliberately. Mainly because if my driving license was kept elsewhere I'd forget where it was and lose it (took ages to find last time I needed it). So now it lives in my wallet and when I go out for a ride I take my wallet, and thus my cards, cash and driving license.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Funny I've never ever carried my driving license, maybe its mandatory in some other euro countries.
"Are you allergic to anything" ? Yeh zinc oxide plaster.................wake up oh..............they used a plaster :?
Most medics use micropore tape nowadays.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I can an old British Cycling membership card. They send you a new one every year. It has your Name and address on it. I once lost mine and someoine found it, who rang British Cycling who then contacted me. I explained that it was last year's so I didn't need it back, but it got sent back to me anyway.

I have a special cycling wallet with just this card and some cash in it. I don't want to carry around all of my loyalty cards, etc, and i don't want my best wallet to get all sweaty. I actually keep my cycling wallet in a plastic food bag to stop it getting sweaty, but occassionally forget to put it back in the bag.
Last edited by TrevA on 23 Nov 2015, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...
"Are you allergic to anything" ? Yeh zinc oxide plaster.................wake up oh..............they used a plaster :?

I was thinking more of medications (where the effects could be a bit more serious).

Ian
scrumpydave

Post by scrumpydave »

I had some stickers printed out in bright yellow with all my details on. Very cheap and easy from eBay. I've got one on the top tube of each bike, one on my helmet and a trimmed down one on my GPS watch for when I'm running. I've covered them all with helicopter tape so they are totally sealed from the elements but also easy to remove. This is the cheapest, easiest solution I've come across.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

most of my riding is utility, as a consequence i've either got my phone or my wallet or both, that said on rides at the weekend 75% of the time I'll only have my front door key which I remove from the bunch and probably a £5/£10 note but even then not always.
Taking a phone out with me isn't essential whilst away from home in 95% of circumstances, as for carrying ID on the basis that my body can be identified easily, never crossed my mind and I'm not about to start doing so.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I carry a home-made card - credit card sized and laminated - with full name, address, Mrs Mick F's name and mobile phone number, our home number, my DOB, blood group, and my national insurance number.

Other than that, my Mercian is quite famous. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...

I was thinking more of medications (where the effects could be a bit more serious).

Ian

Speaking as someone who's been plagued by skin complaints, of one form or another, for years, I can assure you, they're no picnic. My symptoms have never been proven to be allergy-related though.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Psamathe wrote:
barrym wrote:
loch eck steve wrote:.... and if its got a sercurity lock on it neither can anybody else either !

For info, Android 5 and above has an option for a message on the lock screen. Mine has "If found please call *my home number*".

I suspect most smartphones have similar functionality these days. Mine has a system where you can input medical info and "release" some of that to users before any unlock code is entered (emergency contact, blood group, allergies, etc.). I would assume that all ambulance/medical staff are aware of how to get hold of such info from the different types of phone.

Ian

I doubt it. There was a ride recently on which someone died. :( The person who found him tried to find some medical and/or next of kin details on his phone, but couldn't, and neither coud the ambulance crew.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
barrym wrote:For info, Android 5 and above has an option for a message on the lock screen. Mine has "If found please call *my home number*".

Ian

I doubt it. There was a ride recently on which someone died. :( The person who found him tried to find some medical and/or next of kin details on his phone, but couldn't, and neither coud the ambulance crew.

It is not obligatory that you enter such details and make them available without unlock codes. Just something you can do it you so chose.

Ian
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

OK, so I am amazed folk don't carry bank cards.

So... What about bike registration (as in for theft protection purposes, using frame number, not as in visible identification for grumpy gits to use to vent ire)? Don't folk register their valued machines? Though I must confess I haven't updated our's since moving house, but the new folk in our old house know where we live. :oops:
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Psamathe wrote:But as others have said, phones can get broken.

It is not obligatory that you enter such details and make them available without unlock codes. Just something you can do it you so chose.

Ian

Sorry if I messed up the quotes, ran out of embedded quotes...

I am sure if the police contacted the network/service provider, and gave them the no on the Simcard, they'd be able to get the name and address that way. I'd hope so anyway. Even if a phone got smashed, I bet the writing on the side of the Sim would still be visible
mjr

Post by mjr »

About phones - as well as details on the lock screen, you can also install an app that allows family/friends to send a text message and obtain the phone's location in reply, which should help find you even if the screen is smashed. I do usually carry hardware ID though. Often a driving licence, funnily enough, as it'd help hire a motor vehicle if a tour goes completely wrong.

mrjemm wrote:So... What about bike registration (as in for theft protection purposes, using frame number, not as in visible identification for grumpy gits to use to vent ire)? Don't folk register their valued machines? Though I must confess I haven't updated our's since moving house, but the new folk in our old house know where we live. :oops:

I keep its details on file at home but it's not registered because it's yet another thing to update if the bike moves (with or without you) and the current registration schemes are run by private companies with nasty privacy policies, including at least one that accidentally published its register this year!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

mrjemm wrote:OK, so I am amazed folk don't carry bank cards.

So... What about bike registration (as in for theft protection purposes, using frame number, not as in visible identification for grumpy gits to use to vent ire)? Don't folk register their valued machines? Though I must confess I haven't updated our's since moving house, but the new folk in our old house know where we live. :oops:

For insurance purposes maybe but It isn't a protection against theft though is it, how can it be if there is no visible deterrant?
As a means to retrieve your bke, possibly but on the off chance that my bike/bikes are stolen (negligible) what chances do you think there is of getting them back due to the use of such a registry? Maybe if you are very very lucky and the bike is easily identifiable for whatever reason and/or rare you could have a chance of being found in the classifieds/ebay etc, however the chances are still very very slim, for mass produced bikes you've pretty much no chance.

I have photos of my bikes and know the components fitted to all of them pretty much off the top of my head down to certain types of bolts/specific brake pads, minor marks etc so I personally can't see any beneft at all.

If a person is so conscious of either being identified in the event of them being killed/so injured they can't say who they are and need to carry ID or that they feel the need to register their bike/s, great, i just don't see that it is that important in the grand scheme of things.