Carry ID

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Carry ID

Post by Paulatic »

Recently our local policeman came to my door and described a bike. A rider without any ID had been found dead with the bike. I knew the bike which allowed them to then call on next of kin.

Another case here in Cheshire,
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ium=Social
Anyone know the bike, approx 60 yo rider.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Re: Carry ID

Post by reohn2 »

Two sad stories,I always carry ID.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have ID tags with a smart phone readable data store on all my bikes.
Name, ICE contact, medical history etc. Cost pennies, worth pounds ... Do It...
Ambulance crews like them..

As I don't have a mobile phone it's the best way of letting the world know who you are in an accident.
Why don't I have a phone .... If I'm injured I wont be able to use it will I ?
And why would I want the world to track my every movement....
I'm 57 ... for the first 40 years of my life I survived without one ...they didn't exist !!!
Did ok then and still do ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I would say it just a little bit prudent to carry some cash say £10 some change and a money card which will have your name.
I always carry a card so I could taxi / train etc home if I cant ride/ stolen...............even buy a bike to get home if the journey costs................

I am not starting an argument about you should carry a card, its just a suggestion.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Most people carry phones with contacts on.
I should coco.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Phones can get smashed in an accident. You might not be compus mentos enough to use it.
A card with a name on is sensible.
My ex refused to ever carry any ID, despite having a wife and son at home who might need to know if anything happened.... his observation was; 'they can always id someone eventually'!!!!!!!

Of course it could be that a single person with no particular relatives they need to be informed, has no need to think of and subsequently carry id.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Always carry some sort of id , phones are good but as somebody already stated you may not be fully compus mentus to use it and if its got a sercurity lock on it neither can anybody else either !
barrym

Post by barrym »

loch eck steve wrote:.... and if its got a sercurity lock on it neither can anybody else either !

For info, Android 5 and above has an option for a message on the lock screen. Mine has "If found please call *my home number*".
--
Cheers
Barry
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

barrym wrote:
loch eck steve wrote:.... and if its got a sercurity lock on it neither can anybody else either !

For info, Android 5 and above has an option for a message on the lock screen. Mine has "If found please call *my home number*".

Nice to know , cheers !
barrym

Post by barrym »

A clarification. I have a bog standard Android as shipped by Google on their phones. Other vendors who add bloatware may also add a 'better' lock screen which doesn't have this feature.
--
Cheers
Barry
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Apple iPhones (running iOS 8 or later) have a Medical ID screen that can be displayed from the emergency dialler, i.e. without having to enter the user’s unlock code. Ambulance crews and the like will know all about this, but a first responder on the scene may not.

It doesn’t replace a physical card with written details, since phones can easily stop working or even be stolen in emergency situations. But perhaps it’s useful in some way.

If interested, the details including an example Medical ID are here.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Do folk really ride without a debit or visa or credit card?

Name printed on front. Bank would surely put emergency services in touch.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mrjemm wrote:Do folk really ride without a debit or visa or credit card?

Name printed on front. Bank would surely put emergency services in touch.

Yes they do, even I don't usually carry bank cards on a day ride. Just a wad of cash but I do carry ICE
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I always carry my driving licence around. I'm guessing, if all else fails, the DVLA will be more ready to release contact details to police or paramedics, than the banks.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

eileithyia wrote:...
My ex refused to ever carry any ID, despite having a wife and son at home who might need to know if anything happened.... his observation was; 'they can always id someone eventually'!!!!!!!

Of course it could be that a single person with no particular relatives they need to be informed, has no need to think of and subsequently carry id.....

My worry about the "they can always id someone eventually" is that they might have to go through several attempts which means they might contact the wrong family and cause a lot of distress until the error is discovered.

And of lesser importance, I suspect that even for a single person, it will take some time to identify somebody without id which can delay things, can cost money and if medical treatment is needed might delay or impact that I have no idea if doctors are forced to make assumptions about allergies, etc. when they don't know (e.g. when they prescribe some pill and they ask "are you allergic to ...", if you can't answer, do they have to assume you are or can they assume you are not ?).

Ian