How daft is this?!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

Re: How daft is this?!!

Post by toomsie »

I am not a fan of passing a sideroad on the edge(On the bike lane) . I like to pass in the primary position.
deryck

Post by deryck »

Anyone considered using a mountain bike and riding over the vehicles - sticking to the cycle lane of course?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

deryck wrote:Anyone considered using a mountain bike and riding over the vehicles - sticking to the cycle lane of course?

Using studded tyres of course.

Better channel Danny Macaskill (sp?)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Chris the Sheep

Post by Chris the Sheep »

What stands out to me in the image linked by the OP is that the cycle lane markings are being interpreted - whether consciously or not - as the boundary of the 'parking space'. All of the cars are neatly inside the white line, regardless of the fact it leaves virtually no footpath to walk on!
drossall

Post by drossall »

I rode down Torrington Place today. There are new, mandatory cycle lanes on the left (south) as well as the ones shown in the Google Streets view on the right (north). The new lanes are delineated by rubber projections so that cars will not wander over them accidentally.

There was a lorry parked in the lane (to be fair, doing building maintenance and may have had permission) and a little way away a van (probably didn't). I'll see what it's like next time I go by.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

The cycle lane is so thin it might as well not be there.

http://i.imgur.com/oS0V9yu.jpg
Worst one possible?
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

It's not clear to me that one is a cycle lane, no relevant markings in the picture.

This one's too narrow to be of any practical use, look carefully and you'll see that the original markings were even narrower.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade