How daft is this?!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

How daft is this?!!

Post by MikeF »

I don't live here (although Croydon isn't that far away) but I was looking at Streetview to see what conditions might be like cycling in "outer" London. I came across this. A cycle lane has been clearly marked out on the road, but vehicles are allowed to park partially on the pavement. They not only block the cycle lane making it irrelevant, but also make it extremely difficult for pedestrians! The problem is we're getting to the stage where we have more motor vehicles than room to put them!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Therealsouthstander

Re: How daft is this?!!

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Unfortunately I think you'll find this in every town and city in the UK..
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Yep, built down to the usual standards but on the bright side it ticks a kpi box for the local authority.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Drivers can park in a cycle lane with broken lines, but not one with solid lines.

We had a councillor in my home town who agitated for the introduction of cycles lanes on both sides of the road on which he lived ... not for the benefit of cyclists, I might add. Instead he claimed that that cycle lanes slow down and deter drivers and this might make 'his' road less busy.
I should coco.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wonder if that street was right for cycle lanes in the first place. It is clearly a residential street where most homes have one or more cars and on-street parking is required. There is no room for a separate channel for cycling. It's a waste of paint really.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The only reason for marking a cycle lane there is to narrow the road when vehicles aren't parked. It has no use as a cycle lane; it's too narrow.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

MikeF wrote:I don't live here (although Croydon isn't that far away) but I was looking at Streetview to see what conditions might be like cycling in "outer" London. I came across this. A cycle lane has been clearly marked out on the road, but vehicles are allowed to park partially on the pavement. They not only block the cycle lane making it irrelevant, but also make it extremely difficult for pedestrians! The problem is we're getting to the stage where we have more motor vehicles than room to put them!

I posted on this some time ago. I think it was the consequence of the Fat Controller's edict about councils having to produce a certain length of cycle path, without any stipulation about quality, connectivity and suitability. The local authorities just put in lengths of "cycle path" to make up the required distance.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

This maybe a residential street, as is just about every street from Croydon to central London, but it is the B266 and the nearby A212 is similar, but with worn out road markings. Parking on pavements is not allowed within the GLC, unlike everywhere else in the UK, unless signs permit. This is the case here; the two signs are adjacent to indicate where it is and isn't allowed. Along the road where it isn't and there's a noticeable difference.

The local authority appears to be the London Borough of Croydon.

The pavement is also partially blocked, and I think people on mobility scooters, and with push chairs etc would have difficulty using it.
It seems even main thoroughfares can't be kept clear of the clutter of parked vehicles; they are blocking not just the cycle lane, but the pavement as well! :evil:

Anyone know this area?
I don't peddle bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I know the area, but my knowledge won't be much help I'm afraid because most of it dates from the 1950s and 60s. In more recent years Croydon is merely a place to pass through, as quickly as possible...

It's time this political obsession with 'meeting targets' were done away with for good. Some years ago, amid great fanfare (ribbon-cutting and all) a new cycle path was created in our area, linking the neighbouring towns of Burgess Hill and Hassocks. Although a tad better than the Croydon example (at least it's a segregated path, albeit it weaves around trees and private entrances), I've seen very few cyclists - or pedestrians - using it. But no doubt a target was met - and that's what mattered!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It looks like the cars are SUPPOSED to park on the pavement! :shock:
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 11.38.09.png
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Signs equivalent to that are common in France. But in general, roads in France are wider, and cycle lanes are fewer except in the big cities (which I avoid).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
drossall

Post by drossall »

Putting cycle lanes in a place where there is little chance of their being left clear and therefore little chance of their being usable is unreasonable. I'd blame the Council. There should be mandatory guidance to prevent this kind of thing, because it carries a message that "cycle facilities don't matter, block them if it suits you" that is likely to have repercussions elsewhere. It's hard to see how the message of "don't enter an advisory cycle lane unless it's unavoidable" can be taken seriously when this kind of thing is around.

Ideally the residents would park elsewhere, but there almost certainly isn't anywhere. We've got something related but different on our estate, where parking restrictions have gone in to protect residential parking, because we are near the station. Commuters in response park in the cycle lanes along the main estate road. That feels a bit more as though "unavoidable" includes "I don't want to pay for station parking, and that's more important than any cyclist", although I don't actually know whether the station even has enough spaces.

And yes, the drivers are probably doing cyclists a favour in both locations, in reality. The Croydon lanes are far too narrow to be even usable. Ours are a bit below the standard and therefore possibly even more dangerous, because they can actually be taken seriously.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's bad enough that they did that in the first place, but to find the same stupidity 13 years later? No wonder cycle campaigners despair!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Let's hope this problem is on Boris' "to do" list.
I don't peddle bikes.