Winter cycling boots

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Therealsouthstander

Winter cycling boots

Post by Therealsouthstander »

What are your favourite warm ,waterproof winter cycling boots ?

I bought the new Shimano MW7 thinking they were going to be the answer to cold, wet feet on my daily commute..

How wrong - Alarm bells started ringing when my feet were a little cold on a 40 min ride in temps of 4 Deg C and no wind..

The first time I was out in the rain and I had to POUR the rain water from my new wonder boots when I returned home :? My feet were also freezing .

I'm actually better wearing my summer shoes with Gore over shoes than these expensive waste of money..

Anyone use the North Wave winter boots and how do the fare ??
tatanab

Re: Winter cycling boots

Post by tatanab »

Therealsouthstander wrote:Anyone use the North Wave winter boots and how do the fare ??
I've used them for the last 3 or 4 winters and find them fine. I wear thick Merino socks so went up a size from normal to be sure to accommodate them. I suppose the longest I've ridden in cold is 3 hours at -5C and they were fine. Waterproofness seems ok and I have no problem with them filling with water (of course I have mudguards with an big mudflap), but I do not ride more than an hour or so in winter rain because I do not need to.
Therealsouthstander

Thanks for the reply - What North Wave ones do you use ?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Any shoe or boot, even if waterproof, will allow in water that can get in at the top, running down your leg. The only sure way to stop that is to wear waterproof trousers that are long enough to cover the top of the boots at all times.

Thin wool socks are good insulators.

And pedal hard to build up core body temperature.
Therealsouthstander

I wear castelli merino wool socks ,is it worth wearing a second pair of lighter socks ?
grani

Post by grani »

I have a pair of Northwave Celsius that I have been happy with.

They are fairly big so allow plenty of space for woolen socks. You need to make sure that there is plenty of circulation in your feet. If your shoes are tight then you will get cold regardless of what you wear.

The Northave Celsius boots are waterproof but some water will still enter through the top. I tend to wear only woolen socks underneath as it doesn't soak up as much water and still keeps some insulating properties when wet. That works well for me.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I doubt that changing from the MW7 to another type of boot will solve the problem for you.

There are a number of things that cause cold feet and most have simple remedies
1. Shoes too tight - Counter intuitive but wear a thinner sock, unless the shoes are really too small then you will have to buy a bigger pair
2. Core temperature- If you are not insulating the upper body, blood will be drawn from the limbs were more layers on the body and legs
3. pedal speed too low, pushing too high a gear, firstly you are pushing hard on the pedals and this stops blood flow to the soles of the feet secondly Spinning improves the blood flow to the feet and legs. So use a lower gear and spin.
4 After that there are medical problems which lead to poor circulation

In terms of any of these boots Water can progress down the leg the neoprene cuff is not waterproof, but will keep most out. however socks poking out or trousers tucked inside will wick the water a lot faster.

BTW I have the Specialized defroster, I am pleased with and have been for the last 3 winters
Last edited by NUKe on 20 Nov 2015, 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by foxyrider »

I've started this winter with a pair of Specialized Defroster boots - so far so good, dry and reasonably warm feet with summer socks. when weather gets here i'll use thicker socks of course. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Therealsouthstander wrote:I wear castelli merino wool socks ,is it worth wearing a second pair of lighter socks ?

Two pair of thin socks will always be warmer then one thick pair. Taking advice from the walking world thin layers of clothing is always warmer then one thick layer.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

If you're using flat pedals, Aldi fishing boots are excellent in the winter - the uppers are waterproof fabric, the lowers rubber, they're fully fleece-lined and they have ties around the tops so the water doesn't get in. The soles are high-grip rubber so your feet should never slip off the pedals. The soles broke up inside, mind you, probably from the pressure of the pedals, but I just put insoles in them and they were fine.

As with a lot of stuff at Aldi, if you don't blink too soon you can often pick them up half price, depending on your size. Even if they only have a size bigger than what you take, that will do - you just wear anoher pair of socks and you'll be even cozier! 8)

Haven't worn this pair yet - bought them last year but they're too good to get wet or dirty. :roll:

Aldi fishing boots.JPG

These are this year's - didn't buy them but they look even better, and only £12.99...

Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I have a wide (though shallow) forefoot. Any idea which of the Northwave Celsius and Specialized Defroster would fit me better? What about sizing? The risk in going too large is typically not the size itself but not being able to position the cleat properly (i.e. far enough back).

Shimano shoes are useless for me, being too narrow at the front. I’m more interested in dry warmth than waterproofness. Should I be considering other SPD-compatible boots or shoes?

Therealsouthstander: how are you getting on with your Shimano MW7s now?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Therealsouthstander wrote:What are your favourite warm ,waterproof winter cycling boots ?

I bought the new Shimano MW7 thinking they were going to be the answer to cold, wet feet on my daily commute..

How wrong - Alarm bells started ringing when my feet were a little cold on a 40 min ride in temps of 4 Deg C and no wind..

The first time I was out in the rain and I had to POUR the rain water from my new wonder boots when I returned home :? My feet were also freezing .

I'm actually better wearing my summer shoes with Gore over shoes than these expensive waste of money..

Anyone use the North Wave winter boots and how do the fare ??

I have the Shimano SH-MW81, and they keep my feet warm and dry. Unless it is very cold, I only use thin (merino) summer socks in them or my feet actually get too hot*.
I was warned that you need a larger size than usual, though. If that's the same with the MW7s, they may be too tight?
Pouring water out suggests they are waterproof but the water is wicking in from above via socks or leggings. If the boots were leaky the water wouldn't accumulate. I had the same in walking boots after a very wet day in the mountains on Arran. I poured water out of both boots. But the boots were waterproof before and after. I had gaiters but not overtrousers, and the water got between the cagoul and the gaiters and wicked down my leggings and socks.

*I do have a good circulation, though- I use mesh shoes most of the year or my feet overheat.
mapman

Post by mapman »

I took the plunge and bought a pair of the Northwave Celsius boots a couple of months ago, having faffed around with neoprene shoe covers for the last few winters.

I would say their sizing is quite generous, plenty of room around my foot and easy enough to get on and off. Having got some Specialized road shoes that fit quite well I tried the Defroster boots first, but couldn't get my foot in them because of the limited ankle opening. I'm not a two pairs of socks person in any sporting/outdoor activity. Whilst it has been wet and yes, water will seep in from the top, my feet have been slightly damp rather than wet. Warmth wise they are very good, lowest temp so far ahs been a steady one degree for a 60 mile ride without any issues. As an aside, I found on cold dry days the overshoes would create a dampness in my shoes that in turn gave me cold feet. No such problems with these boots.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thanks for your report, mapman.

mapman wrote:I would say their sizing is quite generous, plenty of room around my foot and easy enough to get on and off.

What about specifically the width across the ‘ball’ of the foot? That is where I have trouble with many shoes. Is the footbed fairly flat from side to side there, or does it have a bathtub shape or ridges at the side that would prevent a wide forefoot from feeling comfortable?
mapman

Post by mapman »

Sorry for the delay

The footbed is almost flat throughout the shoe, with very little arch/instep support which I am quite happy with

There is plenty of room around the ball of the foot. Knowing how sizes with cycling shoes can vary, I found a shop with stock of these boots and went to try them on which worked for me