Wivenhoe to Essex University Cycle Path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
iainb

Wivenhoe to Essex University Cycle Path

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

Anyone from the Colchester area who has lost the plot with this drawn out, twice postponed scheme may be interested to know that signs have gone up stating that work is due to start this week !

Regards

Iain
nez

Re: Wivenhoe to Essex University Cycle Path

Post by nez »

The road closure seems a bit drastic.
iainb

Post by iainb »

Agreed, but as you'll see in the links below they're undertaking major work on the road as well and at least the buses will be able to get through. This is heavily used by people cycling to the uni and into Colchester, the main problem is that the road is just the sort of width to tempt motorists through if a vehicle is coming the other way, I and other experienced cyclists I know kept out far enough in the road to prevent this but there have been a few incidents along there. Having ridden along there for many years on the way to work I'm just sorry it didn't happen before I retired!! The ideal solution would have been to put the path on ther other side of the hedge away from the road but I believe this would have involved a lengthy compulsory purchase case. I'm just surprised the council didn't go ahead with the cheaper, half baked scheme to run a (unlit) path across the fields from Broomgrove school

Hey ho !

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1403 ... rk/?ref=rl

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1409 ... ef=mr&lp=1
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't know the area, but a road closure for a cycle track installation sounds impressive. I hope the result is good. What's the source of funds?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
nez

Post by nez »

It's part of my 50k circuit - Colchester to Wiv to Mistley etc. I'll have to have a rethink if I can't ride up from the river to the football club. It's a pity to miss out the river - that's a great path
iainb

Post by iainb »

MikeF wrote:I don't know the area, but a road closure for a cycle track installation sounds impressive. I hope the result is good. What's the source of funds?

As far as i know Essex University put up £250k as a "sweetener" for permission to put up a multi storey car park and Council paid the rest (I stand to be corrected on this!)
iainb

Post by iainb »

nez dans le guidon wrote:It's part of my 50k circuit - Colchester to Wiv to Mistley etc. I'll have to have a rethink if I can't ride up from the river to the football club. It's a pity to miss out the river - that's a great path

Hi

Won't be a problem, you'll still be able to ride up as far as the shops opposite the fire station, may have to push a few yards along past the Flag pub and Elmstead road to football club will still be open, I'm through there 4 or 5 times a week, I'll look out for you !!

PS are you a member of the Colchester section?
nez

Post by nez »

No I belong to ctc but work away from home a lot so ride alone. You'll spot me okay - big fellow on a Specialized Roubaix. I try to go round at least once a week, more often twice. Rain or shine but not on windy days.
iainb

Post by iainb »

nez dans le guidon wrote:No I belong to ctc but work away from home a lot so ride alone. You'll spot me okay - big fellow on a Specialized Roubaix. I try to go round at least once a week, more often twice. Rain or shine but not on windy days.

You wouldn't have enjoyed it last Weds then! I was intending to go to Dovercourt, while I was out an already strong wind got worse and I struggled back into it from Wix. as you know there's not much shelter between Mistley and Bromley as the hedges have been taken out, I was on the small ring flogging my guts out to do 9mph! A bit dangerous really in the gusts so I was glad to get home.