What should I do if a car keep on driving up my ***

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
recumbentpanda

Re: What should I do if a car keep on driving up my ***

Post by recumbentpanda »

I notice when driving that many drivers when overtaking first come right up behind in order to wait for the opportunity to overtake. The idea that one should stay at a safe braking distance while contemplating an overtake doesn't seem to be understood any more, if it ever was. I suspect drivers simply apply the same principle to overtaking cyclists.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

toomsie wrote:What should I do to make cars back off and not drive so close. I know that most cars often do this with the intention of overtaking.
So one option is to only give them space to overtake if it is easy to do so. But I am thinking what signal would encourage them to
back off other then the fly swatting signal.

Wobble
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote:
toomsie wrote:What should I do to make cars back off and not drive so close. I know that most cars often do this with the intention of overtaking.
So one option is to only give them space to overtake if it is easy to do so. But I am thinking what signal would encourage them to
back off other then the fly swatting signal.

If they're waiting to overtake and therefore going at your speed, that's good. I like a following car - it's my protection on blind left-hand bends, in heavy traffic and on roundabouts. I wouldn't tip them but I would certainly thank them with a friendly wave as they go past - I do.

I use a "dipped" right arm with flat palm facing them to tell them to stay back, a normal wave on and then a thank-you wave. Remember - you're in charge of the traffic.

There are circumstances where having a car 'trapped' behind is good. Going through traffic calming, across junctions, past busy petrol stations, etc. And I use motor vehicles, when I can on my descent from work. I can maintain a higher speed if I have a car behind because I don't have to worry as much about people pulling out in front of me, overtaking and pulling in early, etc.

However, I don't like them following too closely, and I'd rather have no one there at all, than have a car a couple of metres off my back wheel.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

How close are we talking about?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

They are also a help at night on dark country lanes, encouraging oncoming motorists to dip their lights. I dutifully and religiously switch my super-bright front lamp to low power whenever someone approaches, but that doesn't always seem to register....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:How close are we talking about?

Unless you're worried that they are threatening you, I think it can be very close. Hopefully they'll be going at around 10 - 12 mph. At that speed they can not only stop easily, they have time to look at what you're doing and the road conditions around you. Unlike a close pass, they aren't restricting your avoidance space either so you can move left and right if needs be. And don't forget that every following car in their little "platoon" will now also be overtaking slowly.

I'm amazed that people don't use cars more often - they really are useful. Most drivers get it and will give you a friendly wave back.

But I do use a mirror and have a better sense of how close they are and the size of the vehicle. Mirrors - my other amazement - many cyclists don't use one. Incredible.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:Sometimes, looking back and giving them a hard look will do the trick. Otherwise, the only things you can really do are:
-facilitate an overtake, if it is safe to do so
-slow right down so that the space between you and them is likely to be enough stopping room
-pull over and letting them by

Or:
-take a turning that isn't permitted for motorists. If you're really lucky, they may follow you anyway:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Have you tried using one of the modern very bright rear lights? I get a lot more respect from car drivers now I have modern very bright lights.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

In daylight, I point directly at them with my index finger, indicating that I want them to back off. In darkness, there's not much you can do.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Try the deliberate wobble - pretend there's a pot-hole in the road for example.

Just don't lose control.......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If oppressive, stop and let them past.

Exactly the same in a car.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iviehoff wrote:Have you tried using one of the modern very bright rear lights? I get a lot more respect from car drivers now I have modern very bright lights.

:wink: me too a 1watt Smart light mounted just below saddle height,which is their eye level seems to sort it out.
I'm loathed to resort to such tactics(among others)but my safety trumps their idiocy every time IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

Just turning and staring at the car (not specifically the driver, too aggressive) can help. Many people react to any kind of indication that their driving is being observed by being more careful.
beardy

Post by beardy »

A variation of that is to make a show of reading their number plate.

That again that can inflame some drivers but I reckon it deters three times as many as it enrages.
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

Thanks very much