Downslink works: Bramber to Shoreham-by-Sea

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Re: Downslink works: Bramber to Shoreham-by-Sea

Post by squeaker »

Added detail - see attached, also next post.
2.5m "where feasible" between the South Downs Way bridge and the 90 degree bend by the cement works site.
(Note that point D has moved compared with the graphic in the OP.)
Pity the surface to be used by the railway tracks north of the cement works (2144SD154) is not being used on the rest of it :roll:
Attachments
2144SD154.jpg
2144SD151.jpg
2144SD150.jpg
Last edited by squeaker on 19 Nov 2015, 6:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

And 3m from the 90 degree bend by the cement works down to the A27 cloverleaf.
(Note that point D has moved compared with the graphic in the OP.)
Attachments
2144SD153.jpg
2144SD152.jpg
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Regarding the surface (there is a spec on the drawings but difficult to read) WSCC Highways said:
I can confirm the drawings are to the specification agreed by the Public Rights of Way department, I can also confirm the dressing specification for this scheme A to E is:
“Dressing - 100mm of Eco-Mix Type 1 (recycled product comprising concrete/brick & primary material such as limestone or granite, produced by Dudmans. Similar products may be available from other sources & are acceptable subject to prior approval). Please note: material must contain no glass.”

For those that know the local paths, the recent Walks for All and A283 alternative crossing routes used Eco-Mix as the sub-base with 'limestone dust' on top. Without the 'dust' the surface will be a bit rougher - to keep Drake happy ;) - but maybe will drain better. Watch this space...
"42"
squeaker

Update - work partially complete!

Post by squeaker »

I received the following from the WSP project designer on Friday:
Works have now been completed up to the cement works, where the path turns 90 degrees east. Due to access issues, the remaining section will not be surfaced until the summer months.
(That is, the section that runs alongside the river on the north-west side of the cement works site and on up to the South Downs Way bridge will remain as is for a while longer.)
Despite the above, the Footpath (sic) Closed signs and barriers were in place today :roll: but the route is rideable, albeit rather soft (as in, feels like a puncture :!: ) in the middle section which runs close to the A283.
Last edited by squeaker on 10 Feb 2016, 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:Regarding the surface (there is a spec on the drawings but difficult to read) WSCC Highways said:
I can confirm the drawings are to the specification agreed by the Public Rights of Way department, I can also confirm the dressing specification for this scheme A to E is:
“Dressing - 100mm of Eco-Mix Type 1 (recycled product comprising concrete/brick & primary material such as limestone or granite, produced by Dudmans. Similar products may be available from other sources & are acceptable subject to prior approval). Please note: material must contain no glass.”

Please note: material must contain no glass. :? :? :? What material is "no glass"?

It either does or does not contain something. :roll: I think I speak a different language. :wink:

Drainage is one of the most important considerations for a path - even more so than surfacing. I hope that is sorted.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Despite what it says on the engineering drawings, limestone 'dust' has been used as the top surface, so much like the recent Downslink alternative route under the A283 by the river. For drainage, the designer seems to be relying on camber plus permeability of the sub base. Having ridden it yesterday, my main concern is the edges in some parts, which are not to spec. and are going to crumble quickly, as well as presenting a bit of a hazard.
30cmEdgeDrop.jpg
"42"
Drake

Post by Drake »

Does anybody know if the re-surfacing on the Bramber to Shoreham part of the Downs Link has been completed yet. Could find any info on the website.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:Despite what it says on the engineering drawings, limestone 'dust' has been used as the top surface, so much like the recent Downslink alternative route under the A283 by the river. For drainage, the designer seems to be relying on camber plus permeability of the sub base. Having ridden it yesterday, my main concern is the edges in some parts, which are not to spec. and are going to crumble quickly, as well as presenting a bit of a hazard.
30cmEdgeDrop.jpg
Drainage doesn't occur through base - ever - as it should be well compacted. Continuous shedding of rain water along the length is what is required and a camber or slant can achieve this. In the picture the path looks higher than the surrounding land, which should be fine. There appear to be ditches either side of the path which can take the water away from the path. I agree the limestone dust doesn't look that well rolled at the edges. Nearby or overhanging trees are the other problem that cause deterioration rural paths whatever the surface including black top (ie "tarmac").
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Drake wrote:Does anybody know if the re-surfacing on the Bramber to Shoreham part of the Downs Link has been completed yet. Could find any info on the website.

See my post above. The current work was only intended to go as far north as the South Downs Way bridge. With the caveats I posted in a later post, the section from the A27 to the Cement Works site is 'complete' although whether the 'Footpath Closed' barriers and heavy plant have yet been removed I can't say, but will update once I get time.
HTH (not a lot, I suspect - but probably more informative than WSCC's site :roll: )

UPDATE: Route is open again, with only a short (30m) section (easily by-passed), just north of the A283 lay-by, where the new surface has not dried out yet.
SoftSurface.jpg
"42"
Drake

Post by Drake »

squeaker wrote:. . .

Very many thanks for the update. :D
Last edited by Graham on 14 Feb 2016, 1:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: saving space
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Just discovered why the section south of the A27 to the toll bridge was not included :roll: (EA video at 5:09)
"42"
Drake

Post by Drake »

squeaker wrote:Despite what it says on the engineering drawings, limestone 'dust' has been used as the top surface, so much like the recent Downslink alternative route under the A283 by the river. For drainage, the designer seems to be relying on camber plus permeability of the sub base. Having ridden it yesterday, my main concern is the edges in some parts, which are not to spec. and are going to crumble quickly, as well as presenting a bit of a hazard.
30cmEdgeDrop.jpg

Yes I see what you mean. I've ridden this route a few times since it reopened and hadn't noticed the raised edge.
It will be interesting to see ( or not ), if over time that edge starts to crumble away.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Update on viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108235

I remain cross that several neighbouring countries will build this sort of thing in tarmac (and France labels them with D road numbers), yet England continues to allow local government to fart around with second-class surfaces for cycling. If anyone wants rough stuff, there'll still be plenty of it with unmade tracks and bridleways, but please let a decent all-weather cycle track network develop.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mjr wrote:Update on viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108235

I remain cross that several neighbouring countries will build this sort of thing in tarmac (and France labels them with D road numbers), yet England continues to allow local government to fart around with second-class surfaces for cycling. If anyone wants rough stuff, there'll still be plenty of it with unmade tracks and bridleways, but please let a decent all-weather cycle track network develop.

Plenty in West Sussex share your annoyance, but West Sussex County Council has yet to realise the potential benefits of active travel, as opposed to leisure pursuits :evil:
"42"