Downslink works: Bramber to Shoreham-by-Sea

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Downslink works: Bramber to Shoreham-by-Sea

Post by squeaker »

extracted from an e-mail to my Parish Council (with my emboldening)

Subject: Beautiful Outdoors construction works on part of the Downs Link between Shoreham and Upper Beeding

The contractor Edburton has been appointed to carry out improvements on part of the Downs Link between Shoreham and Upper Beeding, these works include path widening, surfacing enhancements and minor vegetation clearance.

The sketch below provides more detail:

The works are planned to start week commencing 23rd November and should be on site for approximately eight weeks (plus a two week break over Christmas, between 19th December to 3rd January), subject to delay due to increment weather. The route will be closed during these works, but open at the weekends and during the Christmas break.

The contractor is planning to start the works from the southern end and work northwards.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Roger Harding BSc MSc
Project Manager – Major Projects
Residents’ Services – Highways and Transport
West Sussex County Council
Attachments
2015improvements.jpg
"42"
gaz

Re: Downslink works: Bramber to Shoreham-by-Sea

Post by gaz »

Flagged up to Sustrans who may (or may not) mark it on their on-line mapping.

Thanks for the heads up.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sustrans Ranger - Protecting Hobbits from Nazgûl on the National Cycle Network.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what is the Downs Link way like these days? I went on it a very long time ago with my non sus dawes 1-Down from start to finish staying at Truleigh Hill YHA and it wasnt pleasant.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mercalia wrote:what is the Downs Link way like these days? I went on it a very long time ago with my non sus dawes 1-Down from start to finish staying at Truleigh Hill YHA and it wasnt pleasant.

This is the first time I've been aware of serious work being done on the Downs Link. Been living in Horsham for 20+ years.

To be fair, most sections to the north are.... ok. Nothing amazing, but it's pretty rideable on anything other than skinny tyres. It does still kind of peter out around Steyning though, which I guess is why there are these upcoming works.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mercalia wrote:what is the Downs Link way like these days? I went on it a very long time ago with my non sus dawes 1-Down from start to finish staying at Truleigh Hill YHA and it wasnt pleasant.
It remains a 'leisure' route in the eyes of WSCC despite its obvious potential strategic importance :roll:
The section south from Partridge Green to Shoreham, which I'm most familiar with, is now mainly a 'limestone dust' surface in varying states of decay. OK in terms of controlability on all but skinny tyres, but wide treads are needed for comfort, IME.
As Matt says, things go downhill a bit (well, actually uphill first!) as you approach Steyning from the north where the trail diverts west off the railway line. The long climb across a muddy field was sorted some years ago, but there's then a steep downhill on a rough track followed by another half mile or so before reaching paved roads (Kings Barn Lane) which takes you on to Bramber via the outskirts of Steyning. The original Downs Link terminated there; the ongoing trail to Shoreham being known as the Coastal Link, but I think it's all DownsLink now.
As far as I can tell, the works are to:
1) widen and resurface the section south from the South Downs Way bridge to Dacre Gardens (currently singletrack on top of the embankment)
2) cover up some exposed rail heads (surface eroded away) on the north side of the cement works site
3) resurface the appallingly rough sandy surface north from the old toll bridge
if I find out any more I'll update this thread.
If you are traveling south during the working week then the Coombes Road from Steyning down to Shoreham Airport is the sensible, if hilly, alternative.
HTH
"42"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

squeaker wrote:...It remains a 'leisure' route in the eyes of WSCC despite its obvious potential strategic importance :roll: ....

yes if it was tarmaced or compacted gravel would be very useful to get from Guildford to the south coast without using the main roads ( which are very narrow and busy)
Drake

Post by Drake »

I hope they don't sanitize the route to much. .
Usually I ride from Shoreham to Henfield a couple of times a month using the Downs Link, and I must admit that I !like the unmade surfaces that exist.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Is it possible to ride the Downs Link from Guilford to the Shoreham on a touring bike with panniers?

Derek
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Toffee wrote:Is it possible to ride the Downs Link from Guilford to the Shoreham on a touring bike with panniers?

Derek

I did it a long time ago on a Dawes 1-Down 26" with 1.75" Marathon tyres. Not pleasant. I had a headache at the end.I didn't return that way :lol:
jake369

Post by jake369 »

Rode the whole route the other month on my tourer and nothing it could not cope with. I only had a single light pannier, but even fully loaded it would be fine - although the surface is bumpy for lengths at a time so getting to paved road was nice in the end! If you are touring and it's a good route, if you need to get somewhere quick and comfortable then it is a lost opportunity.

See the link for my journey blog: https://molebike.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/downslink/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

jake369 wrote:Rode the whole route the other month on my tourer and nothing it could not cope with. I only had a single light pannier, but even fully loaded it would be fine - although the surface is bumpy for lengths at a time so getting to paved road was nice in the end! If you are touring and it's a good route, if you need to get somewhere quick and comfortable then it is a lost opportunity.

See the link for my journey blog: https://molebike.wordpress.com/2015/09/19/downslink/

well looks better than when I rode it. maybe another go. I think your article need to be added to the too good to be lost as the pictures are very useful
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mercalia wrote:well looks better than when I rode it. maybe another go. I think your article need to be added to the too good to be lost as the pictures are very useful

Steyning to Shoreham has been (slowly) improved over the last 10 years, with most of the sandy surface (quickly worn out) being replaced by limestone dust. (I think that the current works will replace the last of the old section north of the Shoreham toll bridge - but can't be sure as Highways aren't telling :roll: ) Once north of the old bridge over the railway line (at the end of Kings Barn Lane, just past the sewage works) in Steyning, there's still avery potholed rough road (Wyckham Lane) for ~1km, then a steep 200m climb on an even rougher bit before the drop back down to the railway line. After that, the surface up to Southwater (not been further north than that in a good while) is reasonable (if you have wide-ish tyres), provided it doesn't rain (when your bike will get messy).
HTH
Last edited by squeaker on 17 Nov 2015, 5:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Drake wrote:I hope they don't sanitize the route to much. .
Usually I ride from Shoreham to Henfield a couple of times a month using the Downs Link, and I must admit that I !like the unmade surfaces that exist.

Unlikely to get sanitized anytime soon, if I know WSCC :roll:

Were miracles to happen then something like the attached would turn a leisure route into a useful all weather commuter route ;)
Attachments
H_path.jpg
"42"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

squeaker wrote:
Drake wrote:I hope they don't sanitize the route to much. .

Unlikely to get sanitized anytime soon, if I know WSCC :roll:

Were miracles to happen then something like the attached would turn a leisure route into a useful all weather commuter route ;)

would suit me fine
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Thanks for all the replies.

Just read jake369 blog, think we will be using the Link next year.

Derek