Ribble Winter Training Audax Frame Problem

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NorwichVelo

Ribble Winter Training Audax Frame Problem

Post by NorwichVelo »

I've been been forced due to a back injury to get a larger frame that offered less saddle to bar difference The frame was a Ribble Winter Audax frame so nothing state of the art but with mudguards, rack capabilities being Alu it's good enough for me. it seemed easy enough go a size up and swap the parts over. However Ribble have moved the bridge down so there is really no clearance to get a mudguard on! I still ride 23mm tyres so they are not 'fat'. I'm guessing that Ribble have done this to avoid using a deep drop calliper but it's a bad idea. I'm gutted because I'd recommended this frame to a number of the young lads at my club as a good starter to build up. I'd done a search online and seen that a few people had been using cable ties etc to overcome the problem but I can't see the point of that. Anyway I'm not want to run down Ribble but just let fellow riders know that their winter frame will likely cause problems when you fit mudguards.

It's a pity as I think there is a need for a modern budget frame set. Old steel frames can be easier to find and I've got quite a few kids going on those but the adaptation, cold setting and general parts replacement just gets harder.
Brucey

Re: Ribble Winter Training Audax Frame Problem

Post by Brucey »

that sounds kind of annoying. If the clearance is really too tight then often cutting the rear mudguard into two sections and using a bracket that goes over the rear brake caliper is an acceptable solution. Very far from perfect I grant you but sometimes there is no option.

For a cheap training frameset other choices include

- Aeron TR (eg from slane cycles) presently £239 for frame and fork
- Dolan preffisio (£199 for frame and fork)
- Hewitt Aravis (£350)

but at that price you may as well buy a complete bike, eg

-Triban 500 (presently from £280) -although the mudguard clearance isn't great; some other Triban models are better.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NorwichVelo

Post by NorwichVelo »

Thanks Brucey

I've picked up a cheap secondhand Genesis Equilibrium frame now with lots of clearance. One of the advantages of the old steel frames iof course is the clearance particularly if you're dropping to 700s from 27 1/4 but Riible are misselling this bike in my opinion. Particularly for young and new riders who just don't have the experience of mucking about with guards. I keep everything and I've got a young lad from our club coming round on Thursday night who's struggling to get some guards put on his bike.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It does seem a bit stupid to have a 'winter' bike without clearance for mudguards in case they should be needed. It's bad enough getting spray from other vehicles without getting your own spray up your own back (and presumably all over any 'luggage' and to some extent also in the face of any companion behind you).

My audax-type Ridley has clearance for them and AFAIK the brakes aren't anything special. Sadly my frame is also no longer made. I'm hoping to buy an identical frame for a spare from someone who is upgrading because it is so difficult to find a decent lightweight frame these days for a small person, especially with the proper clearance for mudguards.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Brucey wrote:that sounds kind of annoying. If the clearance is really too tight then often cutting the rear mudguard into two sections and using a bracket that goes over the rear brake caliper is an acceptable solution. Very far from perfect I grant you but sometimes there is no option.

For a cheap training frameset other choices include

- Aeron TR (eg from slane cycles) presently £239 for frame and fork
- Dolan preffisio (£199 for frame and fork)
- Hewitt Aravis (£350)

but at that price you may as well buy a complete bike, eg

-Triban 500 (presently from £280) -although the mudguard clearance isn't great; some other Triban models are better.

cheers

And if you don't necessarily want a race bike feel, Spa's steel Audax frameset is £305.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I was looking for a new winter frame earlier this year and discounted the Ribble due to this problem. As above not slagging them off, Mrs Whoof has a carbon Ribble that was excellent value and she's very pleased with it, it's just their winter frame didn't meet my requirements It's not the first time I've seen mudguard eyes on a frame or fork but not the clearances for the tyres I use. I ended up with a Kinesis T2 this takes long drop 47-57 mm calipers, I'm running it with mudguards and 25 mm Durano plus tyres and I'm very pleased with it.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Which winter/audax Ribble, do you mean

The (Blue) aluminium, or the (red) steel?
I'll guess you're not referring to the (carbon) 'Sportive 365'

I have a 'blue', & whist, yes it takes mudguards, anything bigger than a '23' does rub (or even, chafe....)

Digressing slightly;
As for your issues, regarding your back problem, I also have a (Ribble) Gran Fondo, & the bars on the 'blue' are almost 2" lower than the 'G-F', & that's with all 3 spacers in-situ!
It seems slightly odd, that a sporty frame like the 'G-F' is so much higher, but I guess it is meant for all day comfort
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

With a little judicious filing (round file approx pencil sized) of the bolt slot on the mudguard I got 25mm tyres under my mudguards on a similar Ribble Audax (blue) It allows the mudguards to be "persuaded" to sit a fraction higher (maybe 1-1.5mm?) which gives just enough. It's still fag paper stuff, but if you revert to a 23, you actually have ok clearance (tight but ok). Yes this is a failing, and is a design feature to allow guards and short drop brakes.

I presume this is because most of the frames are built into bikes in the shop and it's easier to use a whole groupset without faffing around swapping calipers and having a pile of cheaper calipers in stock and a global shortage of long drops...
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I am thinking of judicious (hah!) use of a B&D grinding wheel on the underside of the brake boss - thin it slightly to poke a bit more clearance.

Realistically, I don't even like riding the frame, it's heavy and dull, rides like a tractor. So I'm more likely to simply replace it.
Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

BigFoz wrote:I am thinking of judicious (hah!) use of a B&D grinding wheel on the underside of the brake boss - thin it slightly to poke a bit more clearance.

Realistically, I don't even like riding the frame, it's heavy and dull, rides like a tractor. So I'm more likely to simply replace it.

I don't mind mine, it's comfortable to me

However, I am considering replacing it with a 'Sportive 365', to match the Gran Fondo
Yorkshire Born & Bred. And, Proud Of It

Generally to be found plodding along; with www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk

The 'Wheels go round & round' with; http://www.featherstoneroadclub.co.uk/
NorwichVelo

Post by NorwichVelo »

Picked up a Genesis equilibrium secondhand loads of clearance designed for deep drop callipers. a proper job. Ribble take note of a proper frame with mudguard clearance.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

We now seem to be educated into accepting these close clearance frames. Often I hear of people really pleased that they have a modern bike that will take mudguards. The truth is that once guards are eventually fitted into these tiny spaces there is now virtually no clearnace at all. Go off road or into the gutter and if the wheel picks up a decent sized twig you are off the bike! I want good clearances on my bikes. Out the other day I had to stop three times to clear leaves caught in my wheels. Must have been even worse for theose with close clearance frames. I want a good size frame where I don't have inches of seatpost sticking out and I don't want to ride with my ass in the air, so a decent handlebar height without resorting to stem extenders. Can I buy that at a decent price. Not that I know of.
I therefore buy older steel frames. usually touring. 25.5 inch preferably. I actually have a small stock [don't tell my wife] of these as good ones in good condition are pretty rare. People mention the Spa Audax but that is not made in 25" that I can see and not the quality of 531. Mudguards? They are a pest IMO, but the reality is that I think they are a bit of a necessity all year round in the UK.
Ahh well. rant over. I should be out on the bike if it would stop raining and winds would calm down. :)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

bigjim wrote:People mention the Spa Audax but that is not made in 25" that I can see and not the quality of 531.

Granted the Spa Audax is welded, but Reynolds 725 is heat-treated and very good stuff from what I’ve read.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bigjim wrote:We now seem to be educated into accepting these close clearance frames. Often I hear of people really pleased that they have a modern bike that will take mudguards. The truth is that once guards are eventually fitted into these tiny spaces there is now virtually no clearnace at all. Go off road or into the gutter and if the wheel picks up a decent sized twig you are off the bike! I want good clearances on my bikes. Out the other day I had to stop three times to clear leaves caught in my wheels. Must have been even worse for theose with close clearance frames. I want a good size frame where I don't have inches of seatpost sticking out and I don't want to ride with my ass in the air, so a decent handlebar height without resorting to stem extenders. Can I buy that at a decent price. Not that I know of.
I therefore buy older steel frames. usually touring. 25.5 inch preferably. I actually have a small stock [don't tell my wife] of these as good ones in good condition are pretty rare. People mention the Spa Audax but that is not made in 25" that I can see and not the quality of 531. Mudguards? They are a pest IMO, but the reality is that I think they are a bit of a necessity all year round in the UK.
Ahh well. rant over. I should be out on the bike if it would stop raining and winds would calm down. :)

The Spa (steel) Audax is made of 725, which is theoretically better than 531, at least in terms of tensile strength. I doubt most of us would notice the difference when riding, but the 725 might be a little tougher. I like a sloping top tube with a lot of seatpost showing. There's no need to have the top tube close to the crotch. And the Spa has a long head tube, putting the bars quite high.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

There's no need to have the top tube close to the crotch.

I think that is open to debate. I've never found a problem with a cross bar/toptube close to the crotch. Why would it be? I need a full frame pump for a start, attached to the crossbar. The angled toptube is mostly for the manufacturers benefit.

[quote 725, which is theoretically better than 531][/quote]
Again. Open to debate. But, please. Save me from theories? :)

All IMO of course.