Camera Perspectives..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Camera Perspectives..

Post by eileithyia »

I have commented elsewhere, that camera perspectives often make overtakes by cars look closer than they actually are. Often there are comments regarding how close the traffic appears to be.
Last night at a club dinner, a film was running of part of a club run..... riding behind other riders the camera gave the perspective that it was an extremely narrow road, at times I looked at the opposite lane and wondered how a car could ever fit on that lane.... though clearly there were overtaking and approaching cars using that lane and passing the cyclists with no concern being expressed from either side.

Fact is I knew those roads, ride on them regularly and in no circumstances do they ever look that narrow.....

Lesson learned, do not be too quick to judge an overtake on a youtube cycle camera..... as they are not necessarily as close as camera apparently portrays.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Camera Perspectives..

Post by Mick F »

As a child I used to delight to riding on the front seat upstairs on the double-deckers.
It always amazed me that anything could pass on the other side of the road because from my perspective, the bus took up the whole road.

These days, I wear Optilabs varifocals when cycling, and the specs can make things look further away than they actually are. When I first wore them, it felt like I was riding a tall bike! I've got used to it now and it feels normal, and putting them off and on makes no difference any more.

It's all to do with perspective.
Mick F. Cornwall
SpunOut

Re: Camera Perspectives..

Post by SpunOut »

Continuing off topic. lol.

The ride on the bus from LLanberis to pen y pass in Snowdonia is terrifying as you appear to be flying through the mountains.