Law for cyclists to comply with the same rules as drivers?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Re: Law for cyclists to comply with the same rules as driver

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Motoring solicitor Nick Freeman, famous for getting a string of celebrities off driving offences

Says it all, he's a complete (insert word of your choice here).
Ron

Post by Ron »

Amyb wrote: should these guys be as accountable for their actions as motorists?

No, because the consequences of infringements are invariably less serious than driver infringements.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Amyb wrote: Has anyone ever been goaded by a cyclist?

Lots of motorists feel that way daily, feeding their hostility to cyclists.

By the very act of conspicuously choosing the bicycle as a means of transport, we assert that being seen to own a car is not important to us. To the desperately insecure people goaded by this, it translates as stripping them of the status which they believe they deserve for having their cars. They (correctly) deduce that not choosing cars implies we don't specially respect cars. They (correctly) extrapolate that we don't respect them for having their car. They are angry over our denying them respect.

It's rather like the hostility towards vegetarians aroused in those who feel eating steaks or roast dinners confirms their status.
karlt

Post by karlt »

drossall wrote:One of the killer arguments for me has been that liability insurance for cyclists is so cheap that cycling organisations can afford to give it away with membership. As soon as the RAC and AA make me the same offer, I'll know that I am as much a risk to others on my bike as I am in my car.

So cheap, indeed, that home contents insurers give it away with contents insurance. It's included in the personal liability section, it includes cycling (it includes anything that isn't motoring), and ithe cover doesn't cost a penny more because you cycle.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Says it all really :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ironically most of his clisnts have broken the very laws he is talking about.... he has no problem defending "Their right" to do so
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Cunobelin wrote:Ironically most of his clisnts have broken the very laws he is talking about.... he has no problem defending "Their right" to do so

Maybe he sees some good business in it - defending goading cyclists.

There's more irony because he seems to be goading cyclists, or else he doesn't understand the subject.