Upset car driver?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Re: Upset car driver?

Post by Mark1978 »

Of course the obvious answer to every single one of the drivers points is "I have the right to be here", and no further point needs to be made. Of course the main issue is that no response to the driver could ever calm him down or 'win' the argument, as he isn't looking for a reasoned discussion.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mark1978 wrote:Of course the obvious answer to every single one of the drivers points is "I have the right to be here", and no further point needs to be made. Of course the main issue is that no response to the driver could ever calm him down or 'win' the argument, as he isn't looking for a reasoned discussion.

The driver may have been just using the confrontation with the cyclist to let off steam. But the fact that he used the "you should be on the pavement" line reflects the mad world we're now in. If local authorities (and cyclists) keep encouraging the use of off-road facilities instead of claiming road space, we're going to get a lot more of this.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

horizon wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:OP is braver than I, that's exactly the sort of road I hate riding on :(. Just look at all those close passes.

All those close passes (and they are all too close and too fast) are caused by the OP not claiming his/her roadspace. It isn't easy to ride on a road like that but I would personally move further out and use a downward-slanted right hand signal to indicate bearing right but turning. A mirror is vital IMV. The drivers soon get the idea that you are asking for space. It's also a very human signal of vulnerability (to which a high percentage of drivers are impervious but still).

As regards the bloke who stopped:

This should be on the telly: let them all see what really goes on and how drivers think.

I have a mirror. I 'took the lane' on a similar road last week, though without solid white lines, and where nobody would have had to wait more than half a second to get round me (next to nothing coming the other way). I got abuse from a driver as a result. You just can't win.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I'm a slug in terms of speed but my average is between 12-15mph. That means at times I'm going significantly faster than that. That's far too fast for shared pavements, and even too fast for most cycle paths, neither of which are surfaced, designed or maintained for those sort of speeds.
Also, if you were doing over 10mph most of those vehicles overtaking you were breaking the law though to be fair, most drivers don't know that. And those that did it crossing incoming traffic were driving dangerously as well, however close to you they were (or weren't).

You were 100% right to report this incident.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Flinders wrote:
I got abuse from a driver as a result. You just can't win.

Yes, you might well get some abuse. Which is why I have a very jaundiced view of motorists.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Strangely, I seem to get less abuse when taking the lane than some people say they get when 'keeping in' I wonder if, being 6'4" and on a fairly upright bike helps :-)
From a self preservation point of view, I'm not that bothered by horn blowing and any abuse! If they're doing that they have invariably slammed their brakes on behind me, by default slowing down anyway, so a result, not edifying in some cases, but a result nevertheless!
Last edited by Phil Fouracre on 6 Nov 2015, 9:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A friend and I used to commute over the same roads at different times (he often at busier times due to his being on office hours as opposed to my shifts) yet i got far more abuse and close passes than he did, quite possibly (we thought) his 6'2" to my 5'2".. made the difference. The drivers would not pick on someone who looked like they might give a serious fight back....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Flinders wrote:I'm a slug in terms of speed but my average is between 12-15mph. That means at times I'm going significantly faster than that. That's far too fast for shared pavements, and even too fast for most cycle paths, neither of which are surfaced, designed or maintained for those sort of speeds.
In my view 12-15mph is a good average speed and average speed also depends on terrain. I'd be very happy with that speed, but I'm getting a bit feeble.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

eileithyia wrote:A friend and I used to commute over the same roads at different times (he often at busier times due to his being on office hours as opposed to my shifts) yet i got far more abuse and close passes than he did, quite possibly (we thought) his 6'2" to my 5'2".. made the difference. The drivers would not pick on someone who looked like they might give a serious fight back....

As I'm about 5' and female that may well be a factor. :(
I really despise bullies who pick on people smaller/weaker than themselves. But in today's society it seems almost to be regarded as a good thing to be a bully by a lot of people (at least, those not on the receiving end of it).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

MikeF wrote:
Flinders wrote:I'm a slug in terms of speed but my average is between 12-15mph. That means at times I'm going significantly faster than that. That's far too fast for shared pavements, and even too fast for most cycle paths, neither of which are surfaced, designed or maintained for those sort of speeds.
In my view 12-15mph is a good average speed and average speed also depends on terrain. I'd be very happy with that speed, but I'm getting a bit feeble.

I'm thinking compared to the more athletic people here. I'm pretty pleased when my average clocks up to 15 myself. :wink:
And your terrain is very challenging, I'd be lucky to make 10mph down there!
lingy

Post by lingy »

I agree with Mark1978. Fundamental point is that an adjacent cycle path does not change the right of a cyclist to use the main carriageway. A lot of this abuse is being caused by misperceptions and CTC should keep campaigning for this to be made clearer in the Highway Code or by national advertising.
High quality engineered cycle paths (like NL etc) would allow more of us to choose them...compulsion should never be necessary.

I think OK to report; it's hard to do but I might have ignored this one though.