Unexpected behaviour on Cycle Lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Re: Unexpected behaviour on Cycle Lanes

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It also demonstrates that a lack of(IMHO) etiquette can lead to one cyclist threatening to shove another's bike where the sun don't shine and other problems.
Which is a shame for so small a deal.

It was a small deal. The guy was on the wrong side of the pavement (apparently) and so I simply moved over to the right for exactly that reason.

What made it a much bigger deal was when he finally looked where he was going he then shot over to his left almost causing a collision and then tried to make out it was my fault!
I've no problem offering that sort of advice to any idiot, I don't care whether the ride a bike or not (I don't even see why being a 'cyclist' should give someone any special privilege).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I fear you misunderstand me. Was not personally directed. I couldn't care less.

The small deal I meant ( and oh so small) is the sticking to an established etiquette( my suggestion is keep left in UK!) to avoid such problems.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

MartinC wrote:This thread demonstrates that there isn't an accepted etiquette

There is - the Highway Code says cycle on the left and walk on the right.
mjr

Post by mjr »

jgurney wrote:There is - the Highway Code says cycle on the left and walk on the right.

It also says that passing pedestrians is an exception to that, to give cyclists plenty of room and not to become agitated with the mistakes of other road users... but those seem to be widely ignored in this discussion too! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It strikes me we're talking about widely different types of 'cycle lanes': from shared pavements to converted railway paths. Perhaps even on-carriageway cycle lanes! (I don't think anyone's thinking of those, but maybe... ) Different conditions and numbers of cyclists and other users, and of course the proximity of junctions, will affect what is best, or rather what is appropriate.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Bmblbzzz wrote:It strikes me we're talking about widely different types of 'cycle lanes': from shared pavements to converted railway paths. Perhaps even on-carriageway cycle lanes!

I'd assumed that the ref. to 'lanes' was a mistake and the thread was about riding on roads/paths without motor traffic present, not in cycle lanes (which can only be part of a carriageway).
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

jgurney wrote:

:D If a significant number of people don't do it then it's not accepted! Whether that's right or wrong, good or bad, etc. are other questions.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jgurney wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:It strikes me we're talking about widely different types of 'cycle lanes': from shared pavements to converted railway paths. Perhaps even on-carriageway cycle lanes!

I'd assumed that the ref. to 'lanes' was a mistake and the thread was about riding on roads/paths without motor traffic present, not in cycle lanes (which can only be part of a carriageway).

I'd also initially assumed it was about paths which are completely separate from roads, but some later replies seemed to be road-side (pavement) situations.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I'd also initially assumed it was about paths which are completely separate from roads, but some later replies seemed to be road-side (pavement) situations.

Quite - neither of those are cycle lanes.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

MartinC wrote:
jgurney wrote:

:D If a significant number of people don't do it then it's not accepted! Whether that's right or wrong, good or bad, etc. are other questions.

The number of nuisances trying to ride on the right, walk on the left, etc is large enough to be exactly that - a common nuisance - but I've not seen it happen in such numbers as to suggest that the British public are rejecting the Highway Code en mass. Walking on the left does seem to be spreading on the suburban ped/cycle routes. I suspect that is mainly due to urbanites lacking experience of rural roads and not knowing any better, rather than a deliberate choice to be a pest to cyclists (even if it can start to feel deliberate after a series of encounters with them).